“Love it, we will be back!”
Review of Hogs Head Inn

Hogs Head Inn
Ranked #38 of 118 Restaurants in Alnwick
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Hull
“Love it, we will be back!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights on the dinner, bed and breakfast rate and really couldn’t fault it, arrived on Friday, friendly welcome on check in and was given a family room that I can only describe as gigantic! Really nicely decorated, very comfortable super kingsize bed everything we could need for an enjoyable stay. Location wise it was perfect for us, just off the A1 and really easy to get to.

Restaurant/bar area is spacious with lots of comfy seating and a good atmosphere, it was fairly busy but from ordering to the food arriving was really quick and the quality was fantastic, there isn’t an extensive menu but it is backed up by a range of specials on the board. We chose off the menu, my partner had the rib eye steak followed by the cheese board and I had the steak and ale pie with fruit crumble and custard to follow, can recommend all dishes and they’re served by staff who were friendly but not intrusive!

After a great night sleep we went down to breakfast and there was a really good choice of hot and cold options. Everything you could want.

We were going to eat elsewhere on the Saturday but after Friday night we went with their menu again, my partner had bacon and cheese melt to start followed by the stew and dumplings, I chose a starter off the specials and had pheasant terrine followed by the rib eye steak. There at least 4 large parties being looked after that night but again we were served quickly, was again of high quality and had another really good night.

If we’re in the area again we will definately stay here, the winter break rate of £45ppp with comfortable rooms and choice of food was incredible value for money!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank ShellHull
Thorb1976, Public Relations Manager at Hogs Head Inn, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
You had my favourite meal - the cheese dumplings!! We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us. So many of our guests are flabbergasted at the size and quality of our rooms. We're deliberately three star as we are an inn, as such we don't offer room service or have a designated check in, but our rooms - and friendly welcome far exceeds the three star grading. Hope to see you again soon!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Hogs Head Alnwick”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My wife and myself recently visited the Hogs Head for lunch having passed it on a number of occasions. First impressions were very good with the restaurant area spacious and well presented. We both ordered sandwiches of which my wifes was fine, not much can go wrong with ham and tomato. Unfortunately I ordered a steak and onion which was served with chips, a very small portion, and a side salad. Whilst the sandwich looked fineit was difficult to say how it tasted as the steak was inedible, consisting of fat and grizzle. On collecting the plates I suggested to the waitress that the steak was of very poor quality but received no further comment from her or the management. Certainly for £7.95 you expect better than a bun with onions. I've contacted the hotel for their comments but rweceived no reply, needless to say we qon't be returning.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Emmer684
Thorb1976, Public Relations Manager at Hogs Head Inn, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
What can we say other than we're sorry you didn't enjoy your food or time at our Inn. As I hope you will see by the other TA responses, we're proud to get many positive reviews from locals and visitors alike. Please call in again soon and give us another try.
“Totally brilliant!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We visited for the weekend, the staff were very welcoming and the first impression on the building was great. The room was bigger than average with everything you need. It was very comfortable and I had the best sleep in a long time. We stayed on a winter break where dinner was included, you didn't need to go any where else for a drink and the prices are very reasonable with a great choice of drinks. The meals are excellent and came out hot and well presented, you needed a lie down after! The only hotel that let me take a dessert back to my room so I could eat it in my pj's :)
Breakfast was a buffet and used local products and again the staff couldn't have been more helpful.
I would recommend this to anyone, we are already planning to go back.

Thorb1976, Public Relations Manager at Hogs Head Inn, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thanks for a great review - we're pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! Come back again soon!
Thanks for five stars as well :D
Alnwick
“Disappointing”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

If there was an option between poor and average, I would have choose that option. I really wanted this food experience to be fantastic as I live about a mile away and after reading the reviews last night, some good, some bad, decided to check this place out for the GF Birthday.
I'll start by saying the staff were excelent, very pleasent and professional. The place was spotless and lovely decorated; very spaceious with plenty of room between the next table.
The food was really easy to order, and wated less than 10 minutes before the food arrivied. It looked great, good presentation, plenty of condiments on the table and 'clean' knives and forks!
This is when a few things went down-hill. I orded Fish and Chips from the main menu, and the GF orded a sandwich from the lite bite menu, with a side order of chips.
She said her sandwich was very tasty, the pot of coleslaw was creamy and the tortilla chips were nice. Mine on the other hand was very plain, the fish had very little taste even though I'd added salt and lemmon to it. The beer batter was tasteless and the chips; although rather large more like wedges, looked nice, weren't cooked all the way through but not quite raw potatoe. The mushy peas were average but the home made tartar sauce was fantastic. :)
As I mentioned at the start, although I've rated this as average, the price for both meals and two drinks of cola was £25:40 and not only nearly cooked chips, the portion size for the chips on the meal and side order was rather small at about 6/7 chips each and at £2:25 for the side order, all a little pricey.
Shame, as I really wanted to praise this place all the way! :(

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Kelvina9
Awwww... All we can say is come back and give us another try. Our fish and chips are fab - they're one of our most popular dishes. Give us another go and let us know what you think?
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“after a splendid xmas day meal decided to have sunday lunch there last weekend”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

lovely meal on xmas day,very well organised.Sunday was a different story....roast potatoes were hot but stale,couldnt tell the difference between pork and turkey taste wise beef had no taste,veges were very good.They need to sort the gravy out its bland.my son got us vouchers so at least it didnt cost us anything,wont be going back.

• Visited January 2013
That's a shame ot hear as our Sunday Carvery is phenomenally popular - in fact it is so poular there is no chance of any food going stale as our ace team of chefs are flat out replenishing the food as it goes like hot cakes - or hot potatoes! Hope you come back to have another go? See out other carvery reviews ...