“Mid week treat”

Ranked #34 of 118 Restaurants in Alnwick
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: An ancient and historic pub, where Robbie Burns once slept, offering a warm Northumbrian welcome and great local food - try our fabulously fresh fish and chips, or delicious beef sourced from a farm just down the road.Service with a smile and a relaxed and comfortable meal waits for you - there's been an inn on this site for around 600 years so why not call in and take a break - we serve food from 12 noon until 9 pm seven days a week.
Alnwick
“Mid week treat”
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

As a local person with a young child I like to try different places in the town. The Blak Swan is a clean well looked after place, not what you think of when you think of "pub". Everything was table service and very efficient. My son had fresh fish bites (cod I think) in a crispy light batter. I had a chicken mayo sandwich in a soft bread roll with fresh salad and coleslaw, which was tasty.

Very friendly and welcoming of children.

• Visited June 2013
Michael A, Owner at The Black Swan Pub, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Hello rlambert91 and thank you for your review.
I'm glad you were made to feel welcome with your son - I'm a father myself and I know how important it is to provide a welcoming place for lunch - my son loves the fish bites too.
Hope to see you back again soon.

Washington, United Kingdom
“what a disappointment”
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Visited Last Weekend To Sample The Brilliant Steak Pie I Had On Last Visit A Year Ago. Apparently They Have A New Chef. May I Suggest The Management Find A Replacement Asap. My Meal Had To Be Returned Initially Because The Order Was Wrong. By The Time It Was Returned My Wife Had Finished Her Meal . My Meal Was Then Sent Back BeCause It Was Inedible After It Had Obviously Been Rewarmed In A Microwave Which Meant The Flaky Pastry Crust Was Now A Soggy Mush. The Pie Had Been Burnt And By Now The Waitress Who Had Been Apologizing For Various Issues Since We Arrived Told Us Just To Forget The Bill. Full Marks To The Waitress But Nil Points For The Food And The Chef.

Michael A, Owner at The Black Swan Pub, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Hello brian b and thank you for your review. I'm sorry you received the wrong meal and the steak pie wasn't up to it's usual high standard.
We take our food production very seriously, and look to improve any issues as soon as we know about them, so I am glad that the waitress dealt with this and didn't charge you for your meal.
Next time you call in please ask for me or Amar personally and we will make sure everything is perfect.
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Good service but lack of availability”
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Came here last Friday and found it to be a lovely place with good friendly service from all the staff which was only let down by a distinct lack of availability. Menu wasn't that extensive and to find that much unavailable was disappointing. The food that we did have, steak and two burgers plus starters and one dessert, was of good quality and served in a timely fashion.

Michael A, Owner at The Black Swan Pub, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Hello thebroomies and thank you for your review. I'm sorry we had sold out of some items on the menu, it was a particularly busy day and we hadn't had chance to catch up. I'm glad you did enjoy your meal, the meat is all sourced from a local farm and is ooften complimented.
Hope to see you again soon to try a different dish.
GLASGOW
“Cracking pub”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Was in Alnwick a couple of weeks ago and popped in for a drink. It was very quiet but it was a late Tuesday afternoon. Barman was friendly, chatty and helped me choose a local ale. Went back next night for a meal. Different barman but equally nice and professional. Buzzier atmosphere with more folk in both eating and drinking. Had the steak pie with chips and veg. It's not often for a pub meal EVERYTHING is perfectly cooked but it was in this case and I would definitely recommend it. Other people's meals looked and smelled pretty good too! Central location, nice decor, lovely food, excellent staff - go in and enjoy!

• Visited May 2013
Michael A, Owner at The Black Swan Pub, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Hello LINGY07 and thank you for your review. It seems you have seen our pub in two different lights, the quieter afternoon and the busier evening - we like to think there is something for everyone.
Also glad you enjoyed your meal - see you again soon.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Good Food”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Good food served by pleasant staff, reasonably priced. Pleasant surroundings and music not too loud.

Michael A, Owner at The Black Swan Pub, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Hello Tiger787 and thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed the food and we make sure that the music is not too loud so customers can talk easily.
Hope to see you back here again.