“Mixed blessings but you get what you pay for!”

Georgian Guest House
Ranked #47 of 69 Alnwick B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This Guest House promises a warm welcome but in our experience this was not the case! Having committed to an arrival time of 5 pm on the booking form, which states that check in is between 4 and 5 pm we were rather flummoxed and cross (because we had curtailed our tour of Cragside to arrive in time) to find the property open but completely empty. A couple looking to stay here on spec wandered around with my husband as he tried, in vain, to find someone to give us information and tell us where we could park the car. They wandered off to seek other accommodation, I had to telephone a contact number for information about our room and car parking. Although the accommodation is advertised as having car parking, (a valuable commodity in central Alnwick), in reality there only appears to be one space, first come, first served and after our first night we weren't able to park. The room was adequate considering what we paid; noisy so we weren't able to keep the window open, but clean and well provided with ironing board, tea and coffee. The breakfast was good, efficiently served but at no point did we feel 'welcomed' A central but noisy location at a reasonable rate but don't expect the warm welcome promised.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have to say I'm really shocked by the 'terrible' and 'poor' reviews on this B&B. I've stayed in much smaller rooms for much more money in European cities, and without breakfast too. Yes it's not huge, and yes the off-street parking is limited, but Alnwick is a major tourist destination these days with no free parking in the centre of town. If you're planning to look around the Alnwick Castle and Gardens, you don't need your car anyway – the B&B is just a minute's walk away – so leave it parked up in the Georgian's courtyard! Jo and Dave are always welcoming, the breakfast is excellent and the rooms are good value for money in my opinion. If you go on holiday just to stay in your room and watch telly all day, then you need help if you ask me… Having tried a few different places, I've been staying here for over 10 years whenever I'm in the area, and I think that tells you all you need to know.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Me,my son and stepdaughter made a decision on spec to go up to Northumberland. Just as I was giving up with all the cyber house-full signs I was encountering, I happened upon this place. A few emails exchanged with Jo and we were all set.

At just £70 for the night, I was pleasantly surprised with what was on offer.

Our room (no.4 ) was on the ground floor.

The downside is it is right next to the road and the windows are not double-glazed and were very awkward to close, even for a six-footer like me. (there was still a keen breeze blowing up in the North East at the weekend), sorry didn't mention that at the weekend.

The beds however were very comfortable, had my best night's sleep for a while, TVs in each room were acceptable, built-in video and good family video selection ( pity about the BBC digital reception, but not the hotel's problem).

Very clean. Decent shower. Good breakfast in the morning.

Archway is narrow and parking is limited to about 4 cars, but at least it's free. Fortunately we were parked at the back in the evening, blocking everyone else in and also because we went to Alnmouth after hours, ostensibly to do some star watching in Northumberland's massive un-light-polluted skies. Note to self: unless you intend to stay up post-midnight, you'll see 50 stars if you're lucky at the end of May. Damn that late sunset :(

Would I go again? Yes. Well worth the money for a short stay - but for star-spotting, maybe August/September.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights at the Georgian Guest House in Alnwick and there are many good things to start with. The location is excellent- a very short walk to the castle and gardens, and also close to many places to eat and shops. The owners are wonderful. Very friendly and welcoming. The breakfast is also really well done. The value of this place is excellent but you do get what you pay for. It is tired looking and while the carpets looked scary, the linens etc were very clean. Some adverse comments in other posts I have to question and think they were a bit harsh- it certainly isn't as bad as some posts made it seem. The one thing that I was not pleased with at all was the fact that some of the rooms are listed online (and confirmed when we booked) as en- suite when actually only a wash basin and shower were ensuite and a private toilet out across the hall. This to me is false advertising and a definite no-no especially when someone is asking for en-suite facilities specifically.
I don't think I would return for another stay, but if your budget is limited i think it is fine.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank superkCheltenham
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We decided on a last minute bank holiday trip to Alnwick and booked the Georgian House Hotel for one night. I have to say that after reading some of the reviews I was a bit worried! However we received a fantastic warm welcome from the owner Jo and our room was extremely pleasant - nice white bedding and fluffy white towels. I'm not sure what some people expect for £60, but if they are looking for something a bit more luxurious Alnwick can offer you this for around £100 a night. For £60 a night the Georgian House offers you a clean comfortable room, a warm welcome and a fantastic breakfast. The only downside for me was the very small electric shower, but as we were only there for one night this wasn't really an issue. The location is fantastic - just over the road from the castle entrance. There is also a small car park to the rear which Jo manages to ensure everyone gets in and out. Parking can be difficult in a small town like Alnwick so this is a bonus. All in all a decent B&B for your money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Very friendly owners with alot of local knowledge to this great B&B in a great location in Alnwick. So close to Alnwick castle and gardens. Breakfast was fantastic. Very comfortable and friendly. Really did feel I was at home in a sense. Highly recommended

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and stayed one night here. Although the room we were given was a reasonable size, it windowed directly onto the street which appeared to be the main route for homeward-bound drunks. The decor was a little jaded and really could do with some updating.
The shower was fitted with one of those flesh-clinging plastic curtains which was grubby to say the least. Although breakfast was more "transport-cafe" than "quaint B&B", it was hot and tasty and plenty of additional toast was available. Car parking was very tricky - if you have a anything bigger than a Ford Focus you'll find it very tight to get into the car park.
Mine hosts were very pleasant and helpful.
For the price I don't think this was good value for money, and won't return.

Room Tip: Dont go for a room at the front of the property