“Amazing !”
Review of Chillingham Castle

Chillingham Castle
Ranked #10 of 43 things to do in Alnwick
More attraction details
Owner description: Chillingham Castle is open to the public between Easter - End of October. Hours open is 12 noon - 5pm.
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Visited for the first time last year and fell in love ! Revisited in October and was equally impressed. I love the atmosphere, the random placing of things and the wonderful sense of history. And, you can touch things ! Unopened letters from Buckingham Palace, a note from Jools Holland, such personal things and a privilege to see. I just get the sense that Chillingham is a really loved home, and, the work that has gone into restoring it really shows. Not just about the building, I love to see the adventures that the family have experienced. And , last year, I spoke to the owner - a special memory for me ! As for the haunting stories, last year I did feel slightly unsettled by a certain view, but this year, the only sense it gave me was peace. I love Northumberland and will always visit Chillingham - know it will never disappoint.

1  Thank Kathryn H
in 25 reviews
"on display"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

we visited for the halloween/firework night and thought it was excellent...we had such a good night and would totally reccomend it for next year - the fireworks were absolutely fantastic!! the kids loved the pumkin trail and apple bobbing and we all enjoyed the ghost story although we wish there'd been more stories!! the family ticket price of £25 for the whole event was well worth it..would love to do it again next year :-)

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I have visited the castle twice love it became obsessed with it after first visit.Its just a great atmosphere theirs so much to see and it's how a castle would have been in years gone by
It's has quite a spooky atmosphere but it didn't scare me too much.The grounds are beautiful and big there's a lovely lake where it's believed to be where they disposed of the dead.Theirs a lovely warm cafe area with an open fire selling lots of homemade food and cakes.
You can stay overnights in the castle apartments some that are haunted some areas aren't they also have night vigils and ghost tours which I plan on going on at some point well recommend a visit you cannot fail to love it I know I do

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I recently visited Chillingham with my partner and baby. As you enter the drive way the car park is situated on the right, from there you walk to the castle (only a couple of minutes down a gorgeous driveway) as it was midweek and not in the school holidays we took a chance and drove down to the castle and managed to park right outside! (Naughty but we had the baby) The castle itself is beautiful. From the outside it is grand and on the inside it has a rare mix of quirky, eeriness! There is plenty to explore, lots of rooms and things to look at a read about. There are also staff who were extremely friendly who will talk to you about anything you want to no about the castle. Unfortunaly we did not get to do the ghost walk but we will be returning soon as it sounds fab if that's what you are into. The castle is not suitable for pushchairs, wheelchairs or anyone who struggles with stairs as they are quite steep. At the end of the tour inside the castle you end up in one of the nicest tea rooms I have ever been in, great selection of food and drinks and a huge open fire! Fantastic. Great day out!

1  Thank vodkamonster21
See more reviews
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Having visited a fair few castles over the years, i can honestly say that this has to be one of the best! What a castle should be! Atmospheric, creepy, scary, eccentric and with its own ghosts and torture chamber. Even from the outside it looks creepy and the entrance into the inside is something else and to top it all off, you can actually stay overnight as they have self-catering accommodation, not for the faint hearted!! I cannot praise it enough, although it might not appeal to National Trust property fans!