“Christmas market visit - poor!!!”
Review of The Alnwick Garden

The Alnwick Garden
Book In Advance
More Info
$55.59*
and up
Viking Coast and Alnwick Castle Small Group Day...
Ranked #6 of 43 things to do in Alnwick
More attraction details
Owner description: The Alnwick Garden is one of the world’s most extraordinary contemporary gardens. From poisonous plants and treetop walkways to glorious roses and towering delphiniums, the Duchess of Northumberland’s vision for a forgotten plot is now a truly 21st century experience full of imagination and fun, all brought to life with water.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

After reading about the Alnwick christmas market online my partner and myself decided to visit with a groupon voucher which entitled 2 adults for the price of 1 for the gardens only - we felt robbed even for that!!

Really poor christmas market - took us approx 3 minutes to walk past the few hot drink and food stalls, few stands with home made garlands etc that was all there really was.
No carol singers or other stalls as described on the website. £3.50 to park for the hour we spent there!!

Will not be wasting our money again.

2  Thank SMS_13_2013
Write a ReviewReviews (3,694)
All reviews
in 38 reviews
"all ages"
in 150 reviews

Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Lovely garden - and certainly don't miss the fascinating water features in the Serpent Garden. However it was a lot smaller than I expected - especially given the £13.75 entry fee. That - plus £3.50 for parking - seems steep - especially when 2 of the gardens were closed because they weren't staffed. Perhaps tickets could cheaper in autumn and winter when the garden is not at it's peak? It would also be nice to have more information about the plants and flowers we are seeing...

Reviewed December 1, 2013

We attended the winter wonderland on 1st December and it was also the first time we had been to Alnwick Gardens. We were starting our winter adventure at 1.15 so arrived just before lunch planning to grab some Food and Head off to our first visit. The Food at the Pavilion Cafe was slightly delayed and not really enough staff on and only 1 till set up. The Food wasn't great. By the time we got the food paid for and back to the table it was stone cold.
The kids pick and mix lunch box area was empty and we then tried a slice of cake which was pretty dry and hard.
The kids (aged 2 and 4) did enjoy Elf himself, Jack Frost, Mrs Claus and Of course Santa who came to see my 4 year old where we were at the back of the tent so I didn't have to try and get his wheel chair through the maze of children!
Once we had seen Santa we stepped outside to the amazing lights. It was a lovely day only disappointing part was the food which I feel was over priced for the quality.

3  Thank Gemma P
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

After reading a review about the Xmas market in Alnwick gardens we drove for 2 hours to get there having been seduced by the promise of a brass band, carol singers and everything you could wish for to encourage that xmassy feeling. Well what a waste of time and money. When we arrived we paid £3.50 to park and had a short walk to the market. I could tell as we approached it was only going to take us literally one minute to walk through it. I was right. A few food and drink stalls and a small tent with some people inside selling bread, cups and wreaths. Very poor indeed and it all made me feel far from full of Xmas spirit. So disappointed were we that we decided to pay the £14 each to enter the garden. Big mistake. Of course it was December so everything was bare. It was still nice but extremely overpriced. By this time I was pretty fed up so we decided to have a drive into Alnwick town to do a bit of Xmas shopping. All the shops were closed. Great day out.... Not!

1  Thank Amarsaday
See more reviews
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I love going to Edinburgh for the German Xmas market so when I heard the gardens were hosting one I was excited. However I would not Advise anyone to rush to it.
The stalls looked nice but only selling hot food, beer, gingerbread (shut) and a cake stall which was unstaffed. When we stopped to look at cakes the stall holder came over with a CIGARETTE in his mouth! There is a tent with local crafts I think but staff ignored us so we walked out. Where are the craft stalls with candles, wood houses, knitwear and Christmas ornaments? Embarrassing
Thank god I have my train tickets for Edinburgh next week.

2  Thank Chrissie G