“Gorgeous garden, lovely day out.”
Review of The Alnwick Garden

and up
Viking Coast and Alnwick Castle Small Group Day Tour from Edinburgh
Ranked #2 of 43 things to do in Alnwick
More attraction details
Owner description: The Alnwick Garden is one of the world’s most extraordinary contemporary gardens. From poisonous plants and treetop walkways to glorious roses and towering delphiniums, the Duchess of Northumberland’s vision for a forgotten plot is now a truly 21st century experience full of imagination and fun, all brought to life with water.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We had a family trip to Alnwick Gardens and Castle and easily spent all day there. The grounds are so beautiful - especially the rose gardens.

The poison garden tour is well worth doing too, staff are very enthusiastic and knowledgable.
It is quite a pricey day out however the reception staff are very helpful at working out the cheapest entry rate they can get you!

Well recommended for a fun outdoor day.

There are newer reviews for The Alnwick Garden

Reviewed July 18, 2013

The cascade is very impressive and the other water features are good fun. The walled garden and rose garden had matured nicely since our last visit in 2007. Entry is not cheap unless you are a RHS member! It's not a day out as they claim but a nice way to spend half of one. Coffee was moderate but sitting on the terrace with it was good.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Today I visited the Alnwick Garden and was as usual delighted with the Garden experience. I had two teenage girls with me from Italy and they loved it too! But we decided to have a snack at the Garden! This was very expensive and very disappointing! The sandwiches had no labelling to say what they were and no list of ingredients ...... as two of us have food allergies this made choosing a sandwich difficult! Then we queued to pay for our food and having queued for about 5 minutes and nearly reached the till we were told to go to the other end of the service area to pay! So we picked up our trays and walked to where we had been sent only to find there was no one on the till there! We were not alone! I don't understand why we were sent there! Nearly £20 later for 3 sandwiches and 3 soft drinks ....... I know I will never be choosing to eat there again! Later we had "Italian" style ice creams! I know it was a hot day but the ice cream was running down the cones before we were given them and I have to say it wasn't very Italian in style at all! In fact quite disgusting! I am extremely disappointed in the food at The Garden!

Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely day in the garden. The weather was beautiful , its the quietest I've ever seen the gardens, just before schools break up I suppose so it was very relaxed. There were guys dressed as gardeners entertaining everyone. They were great and also very funny.

We went for afternoon tea in the vintage tent, it was awful. At almost £14 it was overpriced, for stale cakes and margarine and cucumber sandwiches. Nothing about it was generous, not even hot water for the tea and the service was no better. It's a shame because everything else about the gardens are so well done.

I'd definitely recommend the gardens but not the vintage tea shop.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

The weather was fantastic when we visited in sunny July the children enjoyed being outside in the beautiful surroundings well worth a visit