“Couldnt fault it !”

Queens Head Hotel
Ranked #72 of 118 Restaurants in Alnwick
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Couldnt fault it !”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Had Sunday lunch here on Easter Sunday it was lovely , service was great all staff where very pleasant, would recommend this place !

Washington, United Kingdom
“Perfect!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Our usual Alnwick eatery seems to have closed so we were wandering aimlessly when we happened upon this pub. We both fancied a Sunday dinner and they were offering three courses for £9.95.
The pub is a little dated but quite charming, and the staff were very friendly. We were seated in the back of the pub near to the kitchen. The only complaint would be that the tables are a little small. We ordered three courses and the ham and leek broth arrived very quickly. It was delicious and not too salty which I find with a lot of soups you order in restaurants.
I would highly recommend the steak pie. The meat was plentiful and so tender it just fell apart. The vegetables were fresh and it was lovely to get red cabbage and swede in the selection. The big bonus for me was the jug of gravy they give you. I often find places don't give you enough gravy so this was a great idea and much appreciated. The dessert choices were sponge, sponge or sponge but hey, I love a good sponge and by this point I was having to force it in to my mouth because I was so full! (Piglet, I know!)
The staff were very attentive, asked if we wanted any sauces or anything else and they were very welcoming and polite. Two of the chefs came out into the pub and they were clean and professional looking which gave me confidence.
Another party seemed to be waiting quite a while for their dessert and when they left the manager and waitress discussed between them what went wrong. It was obvious they all want to get things right and give a top class service to their customers.
Only last week I paid the same amount of money for a one course carvery at a carvery chain restaurant and the meal was awful. Same price for three blinding courses here. I would highly recommend!

Ponteland, United Kingdom
“Sunny Sunday”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The sun was out so a good excuse to have the roof of the car for the first time this year.
Arrived in Alnwick ready for lunch. There was not much going on so went into the Queens head.
The pub could do with a lick of paint but was clean enough. The lady saw us and came to serve us straight away. We were shown the blackboard with all the deals on meals. We decided on two courses for £8.95 my husband went for homemade soup and roll with roast beef dinner, I had roast beef diner with lemon sponge. The food arrived very quickly it was hot. Would go back at the drop of a hat. Staff very good without fussing.

• Visited February 2013
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Not all its 'talked' up to be!!”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

My wife and i visited Alnwick on our travels up the east coast. After reading some reviews about the Queens Head Hotel Inn online and it being recommended as a place to eat and stay so thought we would try it for a nights stay. The pub has a very dated look, but not in a comforting old fashioned look, more a 'needs a touch of paint and some tlc'. Minimal facilities and entertainment value, and generally tacky looking.
But regardless we thought we'd at least try a meal as things may be better than first appear and we were tired and hungry. The menu had plenty of choice but was hard to read and had to stand up and read it through people playing darts as there wasn't a copy on the tables. We ordered at bar and seated in the 'restaurant area' which was a dimly lit area of the bar, situated next to the kitchen so the smell of chip fat hung to you. The glimpses of kitchen i did see through the door left little to the imagination and was enough to put you off eating there. It looked small and dirty. Thankfully i only ordered the soup, unfortunately for my wife she tried the local catch fish and chips. But could only manage a few bites as the smell and taste of the fish clearly shouted OFF! and judging by her upset stomach that followed that night i guess i was right. While waiting for the food i noticed the waitress who seated us outside smoking, in full view of customers, then minutes later brought us our meals....just what you want with dinner a side order of stale second hand smoke from an unhygienic overweight teenager! Not what you expect from any food establishment!
We did bring all these problems to the attention of the lady behind the bar, who was very apologetic and would tell the manager to try and rectify the problem. If he was told he made no effort to make that clear or help the situation. All in all was disappointed with the establishment, the overpriced ill prepared ready meal we were given swaded us to opted against staying at the Inn and instead found refuge in another B&B not far from Alnwick, which was more to our taste and comfort.
The reviews i have read lead me to believe i must have been unfortunate in my experience at the Inn, either i came on a very bad day or my expectations are too high?. However it would be more appropriate to think the people who have enjoyed the food there have no sense of taste or standards, either way i won't be finding out which.

• Visited October 2012
Winford, United Kingdom
“Great place to eat”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Really nice pub with good tasty food, lots of choice & reasonably priced. The very friendly staff are a bonus.

• Visited October 2012