“Hearty meal”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Hearty meal”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

While staying in Alnwick my wife and I had two meals at the Queen's Head.
Sunday lunch excellent. Beautifully cooked and presented and tons of it.
Saturday evening meal equally good. Steak Pie - yummy with great chunks of steak and fab. pastry. My wife's chicken and bacon salad very good but spoilt slightly by an undercooked baked potato which was returned uneaten.
Nice homely surroundings in an ideal location by the Market Square.

• Visited August 2012

“Awsome”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

It was one of the best meals i have had in a long time. great pricesd great staff. I had the steak pie with proper pastry and i have to say you get amazing amount of food for what you pay. The girl that looked after us was great and very helpful. we went 3 nights in a row it was that good. highly recomended

Northumberland,
“New owners really nice n fresh”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Probably now one of the best in town, need I say more? Everything I seen on other tables looked lovely so I couldn't decide what to have so I went for something I don't see often, dressed crab and a salad with new pots.. So nice and a great change the smells coming passed me were lovely..already picked out the next visit
I came here about a year ago it was just ok, it's obvious it's got new people in , it sez so on a sign on the bar wall!

• Visited July 2012
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Dont eat here”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Ate here with my husband in April on our way down to York. Indescribably poor - the worst bar lunch I have had in a long time. I had the roast pork lunch. One and a half slices of roast pork mainly fat, "yorkshire pudding" which I couldnt even cut, hard roast potato and really sour tasting veg. My husband had steak pie - not much better. I would have complained bitterly normaly but we were just starting our holiday and I did not want to begin on a low.
There are many better places to eat - avoid this place like the plague.

• Visited April 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“good value lunch”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Went here on a snowy day during the Easter hols and was pleased to find it cosy and welcoming. Like the previous reviewer, we also had the roast dinner for lunch-one turkey and one beef. The meat was good, the vegetables served were copious and well-cooked. Maybe the gravy wasn't the best but it was certainly nice enough. At the price, I thought it was good value for money. There was some nice local beer- Alnwick IPA and another on draft, the name of which escapes me.

• Visited April 2012