“Top marks for staff but as for the hotel.........”

The White Swan Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Alnwick
Rutland
“Top marks for staff but as for the hotel.........”
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Other than their 'famous dining room'! and the staircase the rest of the hotel didn't really have any character. There is a very old coaching inn near to where I live, all oak beams and inglenook fireplaces, with real log fires in winter so I expected something like that. The room my husband and I had was along a corridor with a dull (couldn't quite work out what colour it was meant to be!) carpet , which put me off before I entered the room. I was very tired when I arrived and walking into the room there was no 'oh what a lovely welcoming room ' feeling, it seemed very drab. However,it was clean and the bed comfortable, the window overlooked a car park. There was no shower gel provided, just two small phials of bath crystals and shampoo and one small round of soap, so I went out and bought shower gel. What was even worse was one of the hotel boilers broke down and there was problem with hot water. I will say a freezing cold shower in the morning is one way of waking up quickly!
The food was well cooked but nothing special. I do, however, agree with previous comments regarding breakfast, congealed egg etc.
I didn't like Alnwick itself, so would not choose to stay anywhere in the town. But Alnwick Castle gardens were fantastic, so will be looking on Trip Advisor next year for somewhere more salubrious than Alnwick to stay but not too far from the gardens as I want to see them in summer.

• Stayed September 2010
, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2010
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay with us at The White Swan Hotel. The staff will be delighted to know how highly you marked our service. We are sorry to learn that you needed to purchase toiletries during your stay; I will address this matter with our head housekeeper as we normally extend soap, shower gel, shampoo and bath salts to all our bedrooms. Alnwick is indeed a beautiful town which was voted one of the best places to live in the UK some year ago. We are sorry that you did not like town. We did experience a water boiler failure during your stay which affected some of our guests, and a new boiler was fitted within two days which resolved this issue. Unfortunately, this was completely uncontrollable and I can assert maintenance issues of such magnitude infringing on guest comfort are exceptionally rare. Paul Smith – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2010

Do not what ever you do book on line.
You pay up front then and after your stay you may not want to pay the full asking price.
Service was poor because you can not book dinner in the Olypic Dining room early in the evening as there are groups which take preference over Hotel Quests.
If you book a table in the Bistro you can not eat from the Dining room menu and the booking arrangements are unreliable as I found out.
The History of the place is interesting but the average quality is shot to hell by poor service, noisy rooms with thin walls and busy street with Traffic and shouting till late.
Some staff were very good but on the whole the place caters for groups putting couples low on the priority list. When our troubles were reported they tried to say we had not followed the correct formalities. Well you decide but remember not to pay up front as you will be sorry if you do.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StPeteofborough
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us for your 60th Birthday celebrations. All guests who book on-line on the hotels website have a choice to pay in advance thus availing of a 5% discount or alternatively reserving a bedroom with no payment taken. We are truly sorry for your inability to dine early in our Olympic Suite, I have reiterated that all guests can avail of our main restaurant menu in Hardy’s Bistro to all my management team should such instances present in the future. Please do contact me directly at the hotel if I can be of any further assistance. Kind Regards Paul Smith – General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Alnwick hotels

Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Although at £150 a nite it was far more than i would usually pay but i thought that it would be a nice treat for my girlfriend and I to stay their for the night but sadly for both of us(and my pocket it wasnt). on entering the hotel I walked in on an argument between a manager and the reception staff which made me feel very aqward and after getting checked in I was given directions to the carpark which was full so we ended up having to pay in a carpark. when we enterd our room we were greeted with the horrible smell of cigerretes which the previous people had left on the window sill and the smell in the bathroom was even worse. I felt something had to be said so I headed to reception only to be told that the cleaning staff had not reported it and that nothing could be done, it was then I realised that this wasnt the hotel that I was hoping for. The room was nothing special and getting hold of an iron and board turned into a major ordeal, our nights sleep was very interupted by the noise off the street which is somthing I would warn anyone about before booking as the front of the hotel is v noisey, the breakfast also disapointed as the food was of poor quality, This is the first time I hav written a review about a hotel but I really wouldnt like anybody to be as disapointed as me and my girlfriend were needless to say I wouldnt advise staying there and we will definatly not be returning even if it had been half the price!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PenrithClint
Thank you for taking the time and effort to record your thoughts regarding your stay with us at The White Swan Hotel. We are sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us, might I ask that you contact the hotel directly if I can be of any further assistance. Kind Regards, Paul Smith – General Manager
Manchester
Reviewed August 30, 2010

We got married at Alnwick Gardens on July 3rd 2010. My husband, his ushers and most of his friends all stayed at Blackmore's up the road (excellent), my family (15 rooms full) and I decided to stay at the white swan because of the location and size of the suites. Four bridesmaids need a large room....this was the only good thing about the white swan (Diane was amazing but unfortunately for us, only organised the bookings).
It all started badly when we were only offered 5% off for a group booking. We accepted it and moved on.
When we arrived, the reception staff were miserable and uninterested... The waiter (spiky hair) which served us afternoon lunch - great. Pity about the uncooked baguette and awful beef sandwich which followed. I didn't think it would be hard to cook a steak sandwich in an award winning hotel, I was wrong.

We asked for a number of tables to be set up for dinner on the Friday before the evening. A few more guests wanted to join us; this was too much trouble for the staff. They were miserable and clearly couldn't be bothered to help. We settled for another table being given to us - the other guests went up the road to Blackmore’s (excellent).

The meal can only be described as 100% dire. My Pollock looked like it was half cooked. I sent it back. My Mum ate half of hers and regretted it. The other 12 diners had a very bad meal. A number of them were very ill the next day (our wedding day) and had to drink only water to get over their awful stomach aches. We complained and they took the food off the final bill.

The same story at breakfast. The hot plate is a disgrace. The sausages looked like they were from a tin, the mushrooms had been cooked forever and the beans, toms, eggs etc were all sitting miserably under a hot plate which wouldn't look out of place in a Premier Inn.

Our room was noisy, the tap dripped constantly and the toilet kept on flushing….the bed was really uncomfortable too.

We expected so much more from the White Swan. It could be such a great hotel, but the staff, quality of food and general atmosphere lets it down badly.
We attempted to complain when we settled our bill like many of our family and friends. Paul (Manager) attempted to tell us that everyone in our wedding party had a great time and nobody complained. This was a lie....we knew of at least 6 of our guests who complained. Our family and friends left feeling disgruntled and disappointed with what can only be described as poor customer service.
We won't ever be returning - and I would advise anyone reading this to stay at
Blackmore’s or Holly Lodge which were absolutely fab with our families and friends

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Nattytravels
Dear Natalie,
Thank you for your comprehensive review, we are sorry that our efforts prior to your arrival to the property and subsequent attempts to contact you post your departure has not on this occasion resulted in pleasant stay with ourselves. All guests did feedback positively to our reception team however; it was noted by some management of the hotel that this trend decisively changed strangely once we spoke on the morning of your departure. We have on record excellent comments from some of your guests who we communicated with extensively post departure regarding lost property which they left behind and can confirm we were successful in reuniting them with same. Suffice we endeavour to meet all guest expectations however on this occasion we did not meet your personal expectations. Should you wish to discuss this or any matter further please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. Kind Regards, Paul Smith – General Manager
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2010

The hotel is perfectly located steps from Alnwick castle. The room was small but clean and had everything you needed including WIFI. The staff was incredibly helpful, carrying bags to the room etc. There is no lift and the room was not 100% sound proof but other than that we were very happy with our stay there.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your lovely review we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will make sure that all the team are aware of your positive comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to The White Swan Hotel in the near future. Kind Regards, Paul Smith – General Manager
Westbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2010

We had a small but clean room in the main part of the hotel. We found the staff friendly & helpful. Breakfasts were fine with a good range of hot & cold foods. Even as a non-meat eater I could enjoy a cooked breakfast. Both the bistro and Olympic restaurant offered a wide choice.
Yes the carpark was small and we rarely got a place in it but what do you expect from a 300 year old coaching inn! Anyway the public carpark behind was free to park in from 6pm- 8am.
We found this a good base to explore this part of Northumberland.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. We take all feedback from our guests exceptionally serious so that we can improve and better our service. We are pleased that you felt the overall experience to be very good, and have discussed your comments with the management team. If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. Kind Regards, Paul Smith – General Manager
Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Me and my partner came up to Alwick after visiting Hadrians Wall for a couple of days and this Hotel was recommended to us by friends as to be a good base to see Alwick Castle and Gardens, especially due to being able to get the tickets with the room.

The hotel was nice a seemed quite grand from the outside, the rooms were okay clean and modern, though the cleaning service wasn't the best, twice at breakfast I found glasses with lipstick still on them, and the glasses in the room looked like they hadn't been cleaned. Plus the duvet didn't fit the duvet cover

The Olymipic room where we have breakfast was nice (A copy of the dining room in the titanic) The the breakfast was a Buffet type and was sat under heat lamps. Also the didn't seem enough parking spaces for the hotel and was very cramped

It was a okay hotel for the price and was in walking distance of Alnwick Castle

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alnwick
Doxford Hall Hotel
Purdy Lodge
Purdy Lodge
#1 of 1 in Belford
Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club

Been to The White Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!