Other than their 'famous dining room'! and the staircase the rest of the hotel didn't really have any character. There is a very old coaching inn near to where I live, all oak beams and inglenook fireplaces, with real log fires in winter so I expected something like that. The room my husband and I had was along a corridor with a dull (couldn't quite work out what colour it was meant to be!) carpet , which put me off before I entered the room. I was very tired when I arrived and walking into the room there was no 'oh what a lovely welcoming room ' feeling, it seemed very drab. However,it was clean and the bed comfortable, the window overlooked a car park. There was no shower gel provided, just two small phials of bath crystals and shampoo and one small round of soap, so I went out and bought shower gel. What was even worse was one of the hotel boilers broke down and there was problem with hot water. I will say a freezing cold shower in the morning is one way of waking up quickly!
The food was well cooked but nothing special. I do, however, agree with previous comments regarding breakfast, congealed egg etc.
I didn't like Alnwick itself, so would not choose to stay anywhere in the town. But Alnwick Castle gardens were fantastic, so will be looking on Trip Advisor next year for somewhere more salubrious than Alnwick to stay but not too far from the gardens as I want to see them in summer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of the historic market town of Alnwick and only a stone's throw from Alnwick Castle and Gardens, The White Swan is a charming 300 year old coaching inn that blends its unique heritage with superb accommodation.For generations one of the North of England's primary hotels, The White Swan is probably best known for its Olympic Dining Suite which features the magnificent panelling, mirrors and stained glass windows from the Titanic's sister ship. All 57 bedrooms are designed to an impeccable standard, and Hardy's Bistro, our contemporary, informal dining experience, is open all day for coffee, light lunches and an excellent bistro menu.The perfect stopover en route to Scotland, we're also your base for discovering the famous gardens at Alnwick Castle, and a tour of the very best of the North East with its unspoilt coastline, historic castles and Holy Island, Northumberland National Park and the exciting cities of Durham and Newcastle. Then return to the hotel for a traditional afternoon tea in front of the fire. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotel.de, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and HRS so you can book your The White Swan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The White Swan Hotel, Alnwick Hotel Alnwick
- White Swan Alnwick
- White Swan Hotel Alnwick
- The White Swan Hotel Alnwick, Northumberland