“excellent choice”

The White Swan Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Alnwick
Reviewed January 29, 2009

On arrival there was a bit of a mix up with our booking, the manager, although a wee bit stressed, sorted everything out and upgraded our room. He couldn't have been more charming. The room was really good, warm and spacious, although one criticism would be that there was no heating in the bathroom. A tall heated towel rail would have done the job as there was plenty of room for one. We resolved this by leaving the door between the bedroom and bathroom open, not ideal. We were shown the origonal room we had booked and it was small. A superior double made all the difference. we didn't eat an evening meal in the hotel so cannot comment on the food. Breakfast was adequate, but nothing special. All in all an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 29, 2008

Stayed for 1 night at the White Swan Hotel in Alnwick. Loved the room (exactly as pictured on the website - very rare!), big bed, nice bathroom, and fantastic breakfast room. Three areas could be improved: new mattresses (we had to turn ours round as it was worn and sloping!), strange library-like atmosphere in the hotel bar, and some breakfast items were not replenished in the last half-hour. Overall though I would stay again and I would recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2008

This was a diabolical way to end our trip to the UK. We had a wedding to attend in Alnwick and we were booked in by our relatives to this vile place. They said there wasn't much else around - please someone build something!! Staff were bored and disinterested - rooms were hideously expensive and broom-closet size - we could barely walk around our bed, let alone even find a spot for our 2 suitcases. The bathroom was like something on an airplane - and the hotel itself was noisy and horrible and like staying in one of the worst backpackers in the world for 140 pounds/night!! (and 25 years ago I stayed in a few of those - and know that even backpackers can be great, clean, well-managed, and fun - and this place was none of those!). The food was inedible - l loathe McDonalds - but I would have preferred it to the re-heated muck and cold tea and unfriendly service. Stay anywhere else but here and you will be doing yourself a favour!!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night on a business trip.

Check in and check out were quick and very friendly. The room was basic but the decor was fairly modern, it was quiet and comfortable and had everything I needed - tea-making facilities, TV, clean bathroom with a decent shower and loads of hot water, room service for dinner. The food was OK. The Titanic Room where breakfast is served is beautiful and definitely worth a visit.

I paid £79 for a twin room which I thought was reasonable for the location (on the high street in the centre of Alnwick).

I only stayed here as my normal hotel in Alnwick (The Oaks) was full. On reflection, I would recommend The Oaks over the White Swan as it is cheaper and the food is excellent, although the rooms are very basic and it is further out of town so you need a car or taxi to get to the sights.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2008

Paid £280 for 2 people x 2 nights B&B. We were with a wedding party (ceremony and reception held in Alnwick Castle). This hotel is within 5 mins walk to the castle, hence the reason most of us booked there. We realised that this is the ONLY reason this place gets away with charging such an exorbinate price!!

It's run down and old fashioned. I most certainly dont expect the ritz for 280 quid, but I do expect an ok hotel - this was the pits!!

On arrival, the reception staff were friendly and smartly dressed (could'nt quite work out why two maintenance guys were also sitting drinking coffee behind the reception bar).

Anyway, got to our double room to discover two 'single' beds, no light, no loo roll and no soap. Phoned reception and they said they would deal with at 6pm...........ok whatever! We went out for dinner and washed out hands there. : )

Breakfast? My god, I have stayed at loads of hotels and english breakfast is always the norm, but this was disgusting! Watered down orange juice (and I mean watered down), cold coffee, re-heated toast (and yes, I mean reheated toast). I chased a waitress allover the restaurant to ask for coffee. When I politely asked she looked at me in bemusement and said "i've got other customers to deal with, i'll come over in a minute".......ok whatever.

So now to our 'hearty english breakfast'. Bacon was uncooked but burn't to a cinder at edges. Bet you're saying to yourself "well that's ok cos I like bacon crispy" . I am a fellow bacon lover, but believe me this was putred!! The eggs were hard and greasy and the tomatoes/mushrooms tasted off. When my partner showed me his fork, we decided to 'get the fork outa there' cos it was covered with yesterdays scrambled egg!!

Came back in afternoon to get ready for the wedding and hung the 'DO NO DISTURB' sign on the door. Whilst naked in my room I heard voice's outside the door. Next minute, the key turns and the maid is trying to get into the room. I run to the door and explain that i'm getting ready for a wedding and have a sign on door. She argues that she has to put clean towels and toiletries in.......not acceptable! Needless to say, I told her to come back later when we are at wedding reception (on our return we found a plastic bag outside our door with towels) The least you would expect with a 'Do Not Disturb' sign is a knock - and that is only if there is a fire!!

Bad hotel who need some competition. Only reason they can charge rates they do is because they're a stones throw from the castle and the people who stay there are mostly wedding guests (who would never return). If you have a wedding there then book up somewhere else cos this place is the absolute pits!!!!

This hotel is worth no more that £20 per night (and that includes the rotten breakfast).

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2008

On first glance, the hotel seemed fine - room reasonable, nothing outstanding, but the trouble started the first night. The hotel is on the main street in Alnwick and we had a front room. there was a procession of traffic most of the night - including boy racers revving and hooting horns. It was a warm night - and as there was no air conditioning, we wanted to keep the window open - which was impossible, even shut, the noise was not blocked out as there was no double glazing. After a restless night - I had a shower. the shower curtain did not fit into the bath - too short - so the water went straight onto the floor... adn the white towel provided had unsavoury brown marks on it.We asked to be moved rooms - but were told that the hotel was fully booked, and the towel was replaced.
the second morning, my partner got an end piece of black pudding - complete with plastic wrapping and metal ring! we asked for more toast and coffee. the toast never appeared, and the coffee pot returned with a tea bag in it. We asked to speak to whoever was in charge of the restaurant and was told she was busy in reception.
I have since sent an e-mail of complaint to the manager, who has offered a stay at staff discount rate, but I have to say I'm not inclinded to return, I would have appreciated a refund of some of the money I had already paid. One of these little mishaps on its own wouldn't have been too bad - but there were just too many one after the other, including no hot water at certian times of the day - and being showered with dust when we took our holdall off the top of the wardrobe where we had put it out of the way.
If you do go - make sure your room is at the back of the hotel, or you'll probably not get any sleep!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Very pleasant environment; some staff very pleasant and the dining room is beautiful -but the reasons we won't be returning :

-The staff member at reception was unwelcoming when we arrived at 12.30-bluntly told we couldn't check in and to come back at 2pm when we could check in. No suggestion of sitting in the lounge with a cup of coffee etc despite the fact we had travelled a long way. Very offputting as first impression of the hotel!
-They lost our booking for the brasserie for dinner and again were bluntly inhospitable when trying to sort it out.
-No newspaper delivered as requested on first morning.
-Large wedding on one evening in the main dining area and very loud disco until 12 pm which meant we couldn't sleep-rooms not adequately soundproofed and located very close to the main dining area .
-Room not cleaned until quite late as they said they had to clean all the rooms for the wedding guests first.
-Room very small and so was bathroom. Husband is 6ft tall and found bathroom very small; fittings can't easily accommodate long limbs.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alnwick
The Hog's Head Inn
#1 of 1 in Eshott
Warkworth House Hotel
Warkworth House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Warkworth

Been to The White Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!