The White Swan Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Newton Hall(Newton by the Sea)
Eshott Hall(Eshott)
Purdy Lodge(Belford)
  • Breakfast included
1,125 results
All reviewssister shipthe olympic dining roomhardy's bistroolympic restaurantclassic lodgesafternoon teano liftcoach partyold coaching innthe hotel car parknight portercourse dinnerlovely hotelcooked breakfastthe main streetbottle of proseccoalnwick gardens
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I stayed at the White Swan for 4 nights during February while on business in the area. The reception and bar staff were all friendly and helpful (unlike chef). I had a room overlooking the main road, it was spacious and the bed comfortable. Unfortunately the towels in the bathroom were all threadbare and had holes in! Something I have never encountered at any hotel before. I left them in the bath the next day and luckily they were replaced but certainly not with the nice fluffy towels we all prefer. Rather a let down in such a lovely hotel. The shower temperature control was jammed and I was not able to lower the temperature, however this was repaired the same day as I reported it. I could not pick up Wifi in my room, although reported this was never resolved.
Food and drink here are expensive.Dinner was not as good as expected, we had meals that were not hot and meals that were missing items that were stated on the menu. This was mentioned politely to the waitress, chef came out (this we thought was a nice touch....) but really all he did was tell my colleague how wrong she was. Embarrassing, uncomfortable and very disappointing. We chose to eat out in the town for the rest of our stay and had some very nice meals too.
Ideally placed for Alnwick Castle & Gardens, the unique and historic elements of this hotel are interesting, however I believe it to be overpriced for the standards you will receive.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank KevandMartine
James T, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Many Thanks for your review. I am sorry that some aspects of your stay where not satisfactroy. In relation to the towels we have a new linen supplier and where already addressing this issue when this review was posted. In terms of the chef, he was only trying to help and address any issues and concerns you had.

Regards

Reviewed March 25, 2014

we booked 6 rooms to stay overnight for my sons wedding at alnwick castle.The receptionist who was on duty when i booked was so helpfull ,i said i was going to a wedding and could we leave our cases as the wedding was at 2 pm ,she let us have early check in which made it so much better as we were able to change before the wedding .Bedrooms were clean and well maintained breakfast was really good loads of choice.We found all staff pleasant and helpfull even made us coffee at 1am when returning from wedding,we would not hesitate to book here again ...Thank You to all staff x

Room Tip: try not to have room overlooking street
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank terrynewcastle

Dear Reviewer,

Many Thanks for your review. I'm delighted that we could play a part in your sons wedding.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

We had a couple of nights stay 3rd and 4th March lovely hotel, very friendly staff, food was super we had a d, b&b deal for £99 this gave us 3 courses off the a la carte menu and I cant fault it, room in modern extension at the back so very quiet and comfortable. Must not forget the decor staircase and lounge from Titanics sister ship well worth just popping in for coffee to see that.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
James T, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Many Thanks for your recent review. i am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

James Thompson

Reviewed March 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night on 11 March 2014. We were given room 6, which is at the back of the complex and looked out onto a car park. The room was fine, as was the bathroom. No complaints there, and the fact we were given twin beds wasn't a problem. We did notice that there was no sheet beneath the duvets, only a base sheet, but again this was not worth mentioning to staff as we were only staying one night. We had no issue with the meals and breakfasts and the staff were helpful, polite and friendly at all times. But........

We were awoken at 03:30 hours the next morning by a cacophony of breaking glass and loud thuds right outside of our room. On looking outside we saw a lorry which was tipping bins of empty bottles into it. Over and over and over. The noise continued for approximately 10 minutes and was deafening. We reported this to Reception staff when we left and they stated that this lorry should arrive at 09:00 hours, not 03:30 hours. So, no real issues to report other than this. We suggest that the management of The White Swan urgently look into why the recycling company/driver felt that it was reasonable to collect the bottles at such an unearthly hour.

Room Tip: I think that the rooms at the back of the hotel complex are usually quieter, but there is a car park right outside. Having said that, there did not appear to be much movement out there - for most of the night.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank psychnurse190

Dear Reviewer,

We can only apologize for the appalling disruption caused. The matter is being investigated and the current service provision is being evaluated.

I am relieved that the rest of your stay was satisfactory.

My apologies once again,

James Thompson

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Visiting this hotel for the first time, through work, the welcome was magnificent with free tea and coffee for myself and my group. We were given all the information required by Jannick, before being shown to our rooms, if needed by a team member. The food is great, with plenty of choice on each course. The hotel is clean and the bedrooms modern and very well appointed. There were a couple of issues with my room, but after informing the reception team the issues were promptly resolved. You can't ask for more than that.
Great experience and will be back in a personal capacity with my family.

Room Tip: There are a few rooms away from the main building which are reached along a gravel path. If you have walking difficulties, avoid these.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

James Thompson.