“Over priced”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Alnwick
Dublin, Ireland
“Over priced”
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a night .
The room was very small could just about get around the bed.
Never seen a room so small , the toilit did not flush .
Service at breakfast was not good at all .
I just wanted a fryed egg hard. Came soft so I sent it back and got an egg that tasted of kippers .
I will not be back it is not worth the price they charge stayed in better places for less

• Stayed August 2013
James T, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay with ourselves. We view all feedback be it complimentary or critical as crucial to enhancing our commitment to customer service and hospitality.

I was indeed sorry to learn that you felt parts of your stay could have been improved. I was disappointed to learn that you were not fully satisfied with your room allocation however if you would like to discuss anything further regarding your stay please don’t hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance.

James Thompson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Cardiff
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed Sunday 18th August for one night on route to Holy Isles and Scotland.

Excellent location with plenty of car parking, nice ground floor room (outside route to room?) and friendly, excellent service. Only sampled the breakfast of which was good and plenty of selection.

Alnwick is lovely and well worth a visit...

Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a positive review following your recent stay with ourselves at The White Swan Hotel. It really was a delight to hear your positive comments about how friendly our staff were, I will be sure to share these with the rest of the team.

I am so pleased you picked up on our fantastic location within the fantastic town of Alnwick and enjoyed breakfast in our stunning Olympic Suite.

Cologne, Germany
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed three nights and found the staff extremely friendly and helpful throughout. Don't rely on parking in the hotel car park and make sure you book a table for dinner well in advance, especially on a Sunday – those were our only two niggles. When you do eat, it's really good. The rooms too were nice, but as a previous reviewer said, if you're looking out front the noise in the evening is pretty bad. I guess rooms out to the back are really quiet!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
James T, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Stephen, our Head Chef would also like to be associated with my thanks for the excellent food you mentioned you sampled in our stunning Olympic Suite.

East Bergholt, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stayed here one night in a family room with our 6 year old. Nice room - shame about the noise from the local youths leaving pubs which seemed to go on until 3am. It was a Friday night though. Really excellent meal in the wonderful wood panelled dining room - they even had a three course vegan menu prepared for my wife with several choices for each course. Perfect location for Alnwick castle and gardens which is just around the corner. Lovely service in the restaurant and on the front desk.

Room Tip: Noisy if room overlooks the street at the front on the Friday we stayed - people noise, not traffic
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
James T, General Manager at The White Swan Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with ourselves at The White Swan Hotel. It really was a delight to hear your positive comments and I will be sure to share these with the rest of the team.

I was sorry to learn of the noise you seem to have experienced outside the hotel in what was a very busy weekend in Alnwick. Stephen, our Head Chef would also like to be associated with my thanks for the excellent food you mentioned you sampled; I am so pleased you picked up on our fantastic location within the town and enjoyed visiting our stunning Olympic Suite.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Stayed here last night with my husband. Our room was clean, fresh and comfortable. We were welcomed by extremely friendly staff...in fact the staff throughout the hotel are wonderful. We drank in the Bistro before Dinner, of which was in the Olympic Suite. A first class Dining experience...from the service, the food and the ambience of the piano player (who played a request not on his extensive list, so very impressed). We will definitely return to this 'little gem' in Northumberland. Thank you!

Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review following your recent stay with ourselves at The White Swan Hotel. It really was a delight to hear your positive comments and I will be sure to share these with the rest of the team.

I am so pleased you picked up on our stunning Olympic Suite which really does create an amazing ambience when coupled with our resident pianist.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband won a stay in the white swan via a work incentive which included breakfast.Staff were nice and friendly ,the room was large and clean.The location is excellent.We decided to fine out instead of in the hotel so only sampled breakfast the next morning.There was a good selection of cereals and spreads for toast.I had went Ott on the Indians I had the night before so struggled after a few mouthfuls of my cooked breakfast.All in all a good experience but given that there are so many nice cheap places to eat out in Alnwick I think I'd maybe look for a cheaper b and
B once I'd looked at the prices.

Dear Reviewer,

I am so pleased you picked up on our fantastic location within the town and enjoyed breakfast in our stunning Olympic Suite.

Sheffield
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed here, with two friends, because we had all honeymooned here 30 years ago. We wanted somewhere central and the White Swan is right in the middle of the town. We had an enjoyable stay and eat some very good food in the restaurant on the Friday and the Saturday. We chose the main restaurant because £25 for three courses seemed good value compared to the prices for single items in Hardy's Bistro. The service from the staff at all levels was excellent was excellent . The rooms we had were not overly large but more than adequate, with the only minus point being that to access the rooms you had go outside down a little path - fine in the dry but not too great when it rained.

My friend's husband and I both like real ale but the hotel bar had only one hand pump and the price was way higher than we are used to paying in Sheffield so we only drank there once.

Parking is free in the hotel car park if you can get in it. If not, like us, you have to park in the public car park at the back of the hotel where it costs £2 for a whole day. The beer might be expensive but the parking isn't. It is also a handy car park for the castle and gardens, so you don't need to pay their higher car park charges.

Noise has been mentioned by some, but we found it no great problem and we were on the ground floor at the front of the hotel. Try a hotel on Union Street in Aberdeen if you really want to know what urban nightlife noise is like.

The hotel was full during our stay so not everyone could be accommodated for breakfast at the same time, but I thought the staff were excellent at clearing tables and dealing with all the orders. I don't recognise the picture of the dining room that some people have drawn in previous reviews. The dining room is spectacular but if you are having a late breakfast you might suddenly find yourself included in photos taken by foreign tourists, some of whom think it is a public space so just walk in and start shooting. I say go with the flow- you're on holiday!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review following your recent stay with ourselves at The White Swan Hotel. It really was a delight to hear your positive comments and I will be sure to share these with the rest of the team.

I am so pleased you picked up on our fantastic location within the town and enjoyed visiting our stunning Olympic Suite once again for your special occasion.

James Thompson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alnwick
Doxford Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Warkworth
Purdy Lodge
Purdy Lodge
#1 of 1 in Belford

Been to The White Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!