“hidden little gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Grannies
Ranked #11 of 116 Restaurants in Alnwick
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Grannies Tea room and Delicatessen was established around 1984, then the tearoom only held a couple of tables placed within the shop. It was only later, in 1989, that the intimate downstairs tea room was developed within the basement where the old fashioned coal chutes, old style steps, fireplace and flagstone flooring can still be seen. Grannies is a strong advocate for the local food movement in Alnwick, and offers a wide range of local produce within the deli, shop and tea room.
warrington
“hidden little gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

My second visit to Grannies this year .The food is fabulous with
generous portions and very reasonably priced. The young lady
who served me was vey pleasant and seemed genuinely interested
in my holiday. I shall be returning to Northumberland in October
and shall head straight to Grannies for lunch on Alnwick day !

Penrith, United Kingdom
“Always our first choice in Alnwick for lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

If you are looking for a good healthy (and hearty) lunch, this is the place for you. We never think of going elsewhere when in Alnwick at lunch time. In our latest visit with friends the two ladies opted for the haring platter. Frankly there would have been enough for the four of us - had not the two ladies demolished the lot. The two gentlemen were equally well fed - one with a baked potato plus many trimmings, the other with a quiche salad. Wonderful quiche, massive salad. However on this occasion the real icing on the cake was the quality of service. Not always fast as they pride themselves in preparing everything to order, but the humour and repartee of our Irish waitress was well worth the tip - indeed the total bill. We did not give her an easy time and she coped with every quip we threw at her. With staff like this, Grannies can only go from strength to strength. We'll be back - again and again

• 4 of 5 bubbles
northumberland
“our first experience of Grannies Alnwicks little secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

My wife and I have visited many times to Alnwick over the last nine years and have never noticed this place before. We were recommended from friends whom have been and they highly praised this little gem. First of all its past Iceland and WH smiths where the road narrows to take you down towards the castle direction opposite Fenkle street enterance on the right hand side the shop front sells jams, chutneys home baking type products. There is two entrances either through the shop until the end and down one set of stairs, or next to the shop alley way at the end toilets then sharp right down a very old well used stairway. It has approx doz tables quite close together in a what I would describe an old wine cellar with beams. Many of the old artifacts are on view on walls , hanging up on walls and beams will bring memories back what life was like before washing machines etc. The menu has many choices to meet most peoples taste, the food is cooked to order and the presentation was lovely, we both had the bacon club sandwich with all the trimmings bacon, olives cheese salami grapes cheese etc not forgetting the most beautiful coleslaw we have ever tasted washed down with real ginger beer. The portions are big and plentiful excellent presentation matched with very good service and value for money. I would highly recommend this place to stop when you visit Alnwick.

hints and tips; NOT suitable for wheel chair users, toilet on ground floor so go first, the easier route to take is through the shop, the other way many cases of canned drinks limited access and had to squeeze past and down a well worn stair way alright if you are fit and able. most of the tables are set foe either two or four persons, therefore I would suggest one person go down first and check for vacant tables may have to book and come back which is available can be very busy but worth the effort.
I hope this helps we couldnt find anything to fault on our visit and will go back again, NO parking outside so use public parking available. If you decide to visit here with a group of people maybe not suitable as to limited space.

1 Thank arch0496a5lk
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Wee Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

I was looking for something to eat and found this wee place by chance, it downstairs and is quite compact, but the lady serving was really nice, i decided on the special which was pork pie and ploughmans.

The menu is quite good, nothing overly fancy and the portions are quite big, the cakes also looked like they were the enemy of weight watchers, but alas ill get one my next visit.

I would reccomend this wee hidden gem to anyone

• Visited July 2012
alnwick
“Disgusting Sandwich”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

I visited grannies this lunch time and purchased a tuna melt......I wasnt offered a choice of bread and when i got the sandwich back to work for my lunch I found it was in tomato and rosemary bread which i wouldnt have thought to have been to everyones taste but worst than that they had just used tuna mayonaise and made the sandwich in a micro wave the bread was soft gu and the tuna mayonaise worse after being in the microwave inedible!!!!!Wont be going back !

• Visited July 2012