“Very friendly staff”

Ranked #59 of 122 Restaurants in Alnwick
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 11, 2013

3 of us called here one morning last week and it was very nice,we sat out side and we just had tea and a bun each the young man who served us was very help full and even brought a bowl of water for the dogs,good service and nice tea.

1  Thank poppythedog34
mo h, Owner at Melvyn's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review us.
Our staff are expected top be polite, friendly and above all professional in their attention to customers. I am very lucky to have such a great team of workers here and we all get on very well together which I think shows, as we are often told that there is a great atmosphere in our little cafe. I am so pleased we impressed you.
Please call again, next time your in Alnwick, and many thanks once again

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Popped into Melvyn's cafe today with my hubby and son. We haven't visited Alnwick for a couple of years, but we ate there the last time we visited and it was very nice.
Today is was dreadful! Being a very cold day, we ordered 3 bowls of the homemade soup with dumplings, which the menu said was served with a bread roll and butter.
When it came, we were shocked because the amount of soup hardly covered the bottom of the bowl and the dumpling - one per bowl, were no bigger than a plum. We had to wait for the 'bread roll' until one of the staff, a young lad, came back with an Iceland carrier bag in hand. When it came, it was a cheap pre-split burger bun, already smeared with cheap margarine. My son who doesn't like butter refused to eat his. At £3.90 per portion, this is the worst bowl of soup I've ever had the misfortune to buy!! We were so hungry when we left we had to go elsewhere to eat. Also, when my hubby paid, we didn't get a receipt, dodgy!!
Top tip - Eat elsewhere!!!

2  Thank susiecuteTyne_Wear
mo h, Owner at Melvyn's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

You gave me and my staff some sleepless nights after we read your review as we take this kind of comment very seriously!
This incident was fully investigated and I can only offer an apology if you were unhappy. Our home made soup is extremely popular, our rolls are sourced locally and we do not normally butter any rolls when served with soup, so this must have been an oversight that day. It appears that a member of staff went to a local supermarket for extra milk twice that day as we had been quite busy, not rolls. Dumplings do vary in size and it is one per person, although if they are small we do offer two and I regret this did not happen if yours were smaller than normal. Had you asked for a receipt then you would certainly have received one as I do resent the comment 'dodgy' as I assure you that a receipt is always available upon request. You only needed to ask. If you were so unhappy, you ought to have mentioned it at the time and we would certainly have tried to rectify the situation. I apologise again that you were disappointed.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Excellent food. Friendly staff. Try the Yorkshire pudding. Lovely. Owner very hospitable and made is feel very welcome.

mo h, Owner at Melvyn's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Aah, thank you for your kind comments. I am delighted you decided to try us and trust that you will visit us again next time you are in the area. As a small business, we appreciate your feedback as we try very hard to make your time with us as enjoyable as possible whilst trying to serve good, home cooked food. Best wishes.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

We were recommended Melvyn's by another retailer in the town and were initially sceptical (mostly because of my fussy eating habbits) but decided to give it a go and was so glad we did!

The food was great, nothing too fancy but good proper HOMEMADE food which tasted delicious. The service was exemplary and the staff seemed to want to go out of there was to make us feel welcome.

We had our children with us who loved the choice on the kids menu and the range of deserts!! Don't be fooled, this isn't your average town centre cafe, its food wouldn't be out of place in the poshest of modern gastropubs!

1  Thank Robert B
mo h, Owner at Melvyn's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Thank you for your revue and we are pleased you were happy with what you had.

Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I are big fans of Melvyn's for lots of reasons, firstly it's the oldest cafe in the town and has bags of character, also VERY friendly and professional staff and the homemade food is beyond belief very highly recommended you will not be disappointed I assure you

mo h, Owner at Melvyn's Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on our home cooking and are one of the few places which take the time to still do it. It's lovely to hear that customers enjoy it! Makes it all worthwhile!