“Very welcome in Alnwick...”
Review of Bari Tea Brewery

Bari Tea Brewery
Ranked #2 of 7 Coffee & Tea in Alnwick
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Bari [baa-ree] - Lovely in Northumberland. Contemporary tea brewery, with a traditional Northumberland heart: fine teas and teaware to try before you buy. Open 7 days during school holidays, closed Tues & Weds in Term time. Please check our website for details.
London, United Kingdom
“Very welcome in Alnwick...”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

It is great to see independent shops and cafes in Alnwick. I really enjoyed my lunch at Bari which specialises in tea but also does good food including local cheese platters.
The waitress was very welcoming and seeing that I was on my own, helpfully advised me that there were newspapers to read.
I ordered a Sweet Potato and Tomato soup and a cup of Duchess Grey.
Excellent soup, really flavoursome. The tea came with an egg timer to check that the tea was brewed - very cute!
My only negative would be the pop music in the background - maybe some jazz or classical music might suit the vibe a bit more.

1 Thank LoveFoodWithFriends

London
“True to its name!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I loved Bari Tea! Exactly what an independent tea shop should be like! Unique, cosy, very welcoming and lovely tea and food! And a lovely section to buy teas and locally made items.
The staff were really lovely and made you feel at home, and were fantastic with providing wheat free options. I could have cake and lunch, which was super!

Most importantly, the tea was really flavoursome, and we brought several to take home, finally a place that knows how to make tea!

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“lovely!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stopped here during a visit to Alnwick castle - it was pouring down and the castle tea rooms were completely full, this was the first 'cafe' we found and all 10 of us piled, in. At first we thought it was going to be a bit 'too posh' but the staff were helpful and were accommodating for the number of us. We ordered some soups and some sharing platters and some scones - we were surprised when we were charged £1.50 for a glass of tap water - however this was very quickly forgotten when the size of the platters and the amount of food and quality came out. Soups were gorgeous, and the platters were great too. Really nice lunch!

• Visited August 2013
Caroline S, Owner at Bari Tea Brewery, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Hullo

Thanks for your lovely review. I’m glad you had a good time – we enjoyed having you all to visit.

Ref the £1.50 for tap water: I know we’re not the cheapest place in town, but we’re not *that* cheap! ;-) We’re happy to serve tap water with a meal – using the same filtered water as we do for our most delicate teas. We don’t charge for this.

Or at least, we shouldn’t. I think what’s happened is the person at the till has mis-read ‘water’ on your tab as meaning a bottle of mineral water, which *is* £1.50.

Very sorry about that – a genuine mistake on our part.

Rather than go through the palaver of getting £1.50 back to you, I’ve put £1.50 from the till into the collection box of our favourite charity – the Northumberland Wildlife Trust.

I hope that’s ok with you. Please get in touch if you’d prefer it went to a different charity (you can find our contact details on our website).

Please do call again soon.

Very best wishes
Caroline
Owner / Manager

Ps We love that you think we’re a bit posh. Our Sunday Best and telephone voices obviously fooled you. Wor Mams will be proud, like.
UK
“Really enjoyed”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stopped here for scones and drinks. Service was great; very friendly staff. Scones were absolutely delicious (generous portions with jam and cream). What I also loved was the free refills of coffee. I wish more cafes would do this.

Lovely atmosphere and even toilet was really nice (important in a cafe I think).

My daugher who has just started drinking herbal teas tried one she had never had before and really enjoyed. I have uploaded a photo of her in Bari tea.

• Visited July 2013
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
“Very good scones!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I came here whilst having a walk around alnwick. The tea shop is really beautiful and I have to say, the staff were lovely and very knowledgeable. My girlfriend had a tea which she described as delicious we both had scones with onion chutney, which was beautiful. The only thing I didn't really get was with such a beautiful place, why did they have the radio on? Seemed a little out of place. Otherwise and for what matters I thoroughly recommend give this lovely place a try.

• Visited July 2013