“Best tea, food, service and atmosphere in Alnwick”
Review of Bari Tea Brewery

Bari Tea Brewery
Ranked #2 of 7 Coffee & Tea in Alnwick
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Bari [baa-ree] - Lovely in Northumberland. Contemporary tea brewery, with a traditional Northumberland heart: fine teas and teaware to try before you buy. Open 7 days during school holidays, closed Tues & Weds in Term time. Please check our website for details.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Best tea, food, service and atmosphere in Alnwick”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My partner and I were in Alnwick to visit the Alnwick Gardens, and whilst we like the gardens, the food and drink there tends to be a little on the expensive/ average side, so we were looking for somewhere else to grab a tea and a cake.

We had noticed Bari Tea earlier in the day, and that it looked modern, inviting and sophisticated, without being too self conscious, and so we decided we'd give it a try. I cannot tell you how pleased we were with our choice!

We were greeted politely very soon after entering, and offered a table in the window. Yes, the tables are reasonably close together, but the table surfaces are large enough to accommodate a fair whack of teapots/ cakes, and so that is not an issue. Plus, part of the character of going into this beautifully decked-out tea shop is its cosy nature, and low ceilings. If you want a white box and lousy drinks, go to a chain venue (well, that's what I think, and always chose not to do!).

The menu is a kind of newspaper style - very funky and interesting, with little factoids and information about local tourist destinations. This was a really quirky touch, and also gave us something to have a read of after we'd made a decision of the food we'd order.

My partner and I decided to share the High Tea for Two. This is a tenner for two, and frankly an absolute steal. Not only do you get to select whichever tea you wish from the extensive list, but you get a choice of scone and a fruit kebab each. Fantastic value, and perfect for elevenses or an afternoon pick-me-up after treading around the town.

I would class myself as a reasonably seasoned tea drinker - I've had teas from Jing and Peko Tea, plus from other speciality tea shops - and I was impressed with the choice and the fact you could smell the blends prior to choosing. We opted for the Senko Cherry Rose, and it was truly delicious. We also opted for the cherry and rooibos scones, which were fresh, large and came with jam and fantastic cream. The other options were fruit scones, and cheese and apple - both of which I'm sure would have been delicious.

We were brought an additional jug of hot water to re-infuse the tea, which was a great touch. The remainder of the tea had become (as is normal) a little dry after a long infusion, and so topping up the pot with fresh water gave my partner and I another decent few cups of tea.

I think we were served by the proprietor, who was impeccable, and another older gentleman. We really couldn't have been made to feel more welcome, and the service had the charm of an old tea room with the sophistication you'd expect from a large city.

Please, please visit Bari Tea. You won't be disappointed. It's an oasis of calm, sophistication and downright great tea at brilliant value.

4 Thank firstruleofcool

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Tea for two”
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I'm more of a coffee drinker but my partner loves a cup of Earl Grey. Besides, the promise of a scone and jam was irresistible!

We were welcomed in and given menus which explained the various flavours, where the tea was from, etc. I decided to take the plunge and went for Lovers Leap tea. For this first foray into speciality teas it wasn't too strong, I was a bit of a wimp and added milk and then went the whole hog with cubes of sugar! It was lovely and so was the fruit scone, butter and jam. It was so good we went back the day after, had different teas and even bought some to take away.

I an a convert! I still enjoy coffee but am proud to say I am getting to know tea as well.

Lovely, helpful staff completed our experience.

We'll be back!

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Teas and Cakes”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Visited based on TA reviews, with baby in tow. Staff friendly, accommodating and helpful.

Tea range is good and the Oolongs are excellent.

Carrot and walnut cake is awesome.

Highly recommend.

1 Thank chi11er
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Tea, as it should be”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Whilst in the Alnwick area, a friend of mine said i must visit Bari Tea in Alnwick
Well, they were right. The home made tomato soup was beautifully tasty and the 'wodge' of locally baked bread is spot on.
Tea selection is vast and the home made fruit scone with cream and jam was delightful.
keen prices too, miss this and miss out

Norwich, United Kingdom
“What a find.”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stopped in Alnwick on a cold Sunday afternoon and came across this gem of a tea shop. The tea selection was amazing and all wonderfully served in the true tradition including a tea brewing timer.
The food menu was equally varied and we all shared the most delicious Bari Northumberland cheese platter full of local goodies.
Highly recommend a visit when in the area