“owners not at the b/b”

Ranked #51 of 66 Alnwick B&B and Inns
England
“owners not at the b/b”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

When we arrived at the b/b no one answered the door, then we noticed a phone number on the door to call. When we called the number a lady answered saying to open the letterbox and a key is on it and let yourselves in and you are in room 6. No one showed us around and we never say anyone. Later that night we got a text from the owner saying her flight was delayed and could we make our own breakfast, she wasn,t even in the country. Don,t go save your money.

Room Tip: Don,t book
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jack012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from an over night stay and was abit concerned about the mixed reviews, but I needn't have been. We had a lovely stay, the twin room was nicely decorated, plenty of tea and coffee, although the floor boards were rather squeaky. The breakfast in the morning was extremely good, made to order and plenty of toast, tea and coffee. Also cereals and orange juice, if you so wished, but the full English is awesome, plus must mention the lady who took the breakfast orders was very friendly and nothing was to much trouble. Also must also say thank you to Tracey who was the perfect hostess, would definitely stay there again if visiting the area.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Fiona2230
Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

The title of my review tells nearly all.
Poor reception area, sticky take holding rumpled carpet down, dead hanging baskets at the front.
It doesn't get much better. Terrible smell of some weird air freshener (what were they trying to mask?). Noisy room, poorly decorated - no carpet, just a cheap rug, cheap curtains, shed hooks as tie back points - small rickety sink that didn't drain properly - shelf and cupboard you bang your head on (I took the shelf down so my wife didn't end up with a cut forehead, and we moved the rug to a more appropriate place). Breakfast would of been ok if the overwhelming air freshener smell wasn't there - I was nearly baulking!
Used it as a base for 16 hours - would NEVER go back. Davemain was right after all.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank robert w

Travelers are raving about these Alnwick hotels

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have to say when we booked this hotel after looking on here I was abit worried however after arriving and getting into my room I was very happy, we had the option of a room on the front of hotel or a back room we decided to stay In the back room and it was very clean well presented the owner Tracey does a fabulous job the breakfast in a morning is well worth the early morning wake up ok the bathroom is on the small side however It is an en suite bathroom it's big enough to have a shower and do what needs to be done in there my and my husband will definitely return here and would recommend this hotel

• Stayed September 2013
yorkshire
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Lovely B&B,right in the centre of Alnwick. 3 parking spaces outside the property,parking on the road in the evenings. Rooms are modern and tastefully decorated. Nice cooked breakfast with cereals and toast etc.Good value for money.Booked on Laterooms, only thing to be aware of is need to pay owner in cash as website only reserves the room for you. I guess it helps keep their costs down,plenty of cash machines in town. Easy walking distance to cafes,shops and restaurants. Would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We came here for the march hold and my wife had search everywhere for a b&b and this came up.
As soon as we arrived we just knew that it wasn't good. My wife always said," looks can be deceiving" but in this case that wasn't true.
As we arrived we were welcomed by Tracey and bill, they put us in room 2.
Tracey brought a fold out bed for my eldest daughter to sleep on while bill told us about the area.
That night I was brushing my teeth after bumping my head, the sink is tiny! I then felt something trip and a small piece of plaster fell from the ceiling. My wife called Tracey and she came over. She wasnt that bothered about the leak and that the ceiling nearly collappsed on me.
When we went to bed it took about 4 hours for me to sleep:there was no double glazing, tv was not good, tiny second bed and they were really itchy.
Waking up the next morning was not pleasant, my daughter moaned about the fold out bed, my other daughter complained that the single bed was NOT designed for an person other than 7 and below. My wife was annoyed that there was no water to drink apart from the bathroom, but we were trying to avoid that as much as possible, and I was just exhausted as it was quite noisy. We also weren't in a very good as the 19inch Telly was a let down with poor signal.
As we got into the breakfast area it smelt lovely and looked like it tasted great or so we thought, bacon was greasy, scrambled egg more like scrambled milk, cultlery and plates/bowls were not clean and when I was having my cooked breakfast they had heated plates. I could still hear my sausage sizzle and when I lent over to pour my tea I burnt my elbow, I shed a tear.
Apart from the good location my family and I did not find it a pleasant stay and would not come back again. Therefore we would not reccommend this place
Dave, Julie, Emily and Eva

• Stayed March 2013
14 Thank Davemain
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

As a lone pensioner I was worried about being in a B&B alone, but need not have worried as Tracy made sure my stay was enjoyable.
The room I was given was at the back of the house, so, was quiet. The room itself was lovely, clean, tastfully decorated, warm and welcoming. The ensuite was small but adequate for my needs and was very clean. Tracy is a lovely young lady, always seems to have a smile on her face, and very helpful - told me where to go to get a meal in the evenings etc, nothing seemed to be too much bother.
I will definatly use this B&B again..

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter as front faces the busy main road.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo