“Welcoming” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #52 of 69 Alnwick B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Welcoming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Arrived thurs 8th November and got told to ring phone number as guesthouse owner was out and about spoke to the lovely Tracey who instructed us to take which ever room we wanted with a key in the door now you might say that it's not professional me I think it is a nice way of a welcome to a real guesthouse.
The rooms are clean and spacious, tv and DVD in room 4 with a powerful shower non of the dribble rubbish and the bed was comfy.
Breakfast was really good and served red hot literally eggs cooking on the plate.

Only negative was heating could of been switched on as the guesthouse was cold but I reckon Tracy would of dealt with this problem but we just had a trip to the pub and a cuddle when we come back.

Room Tip: Creeky floorboards on landing so get a downstairs room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

I booked direct with Tracy and had no problems whatsoever, she was polite, professional and very helpful.when I got in to my room I was happy with what I saw, the room had been recently renovated to a reasonably good standard and everything was laid out perfectly.I was at the back of the property so it was nice and quiet a few creaky floorboards from the person next door but nothing too noisy.Had a really nice sleep and woke refreshed.I spoke to Tracy when I checked in and she gave me optional times of when i would like to eat my breakfast, which I thought was nice to have an option.Breakfast was cooked fresh to order and there were cereals and toast if I didnt fancy a cooked breakfast.Overall I was very impressed with the whole experience and I would definately stay again.....exceptional value and efficient service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Leeds
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

We booked a room 3 months in advance for a friends wedding. We booked via My UK Travel website and received our confirmation. A month later we realised the money for the booking had not been debited from our account. I e-mailed the guest house and received a response to advise they were fully booked. Strangely enough they still had rooms available for our desired dates on Laterooms.com - I called to query this and was told again that they were fully booked. I was given an apology but no explanation for the mis-hap and told 'These things happen'

I don't think this is acceptable & I certainly do not think 'these things happen' if the people in charge of bookings are not so incompetent!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Charlotte B

Travelers are raving about these Alnwick hotels

Pontefract, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I booked the Superior extra king size room as a treat for us only to arrive to find someone had already been given this room. We were given a nicely decorated, yet very small double room which may as well have been in a caravan. The bathroom sink had a very large crack which is not nice to see. No apology was given and therefore it put a downer on our trip right from the start. Our breakfast was served on heated plates that were so hot I actually burnt my wrist and we were served hash browns and bacon which had been pre-cooked the previous day. (seen in the fridge).
On the morning we left I had to ask for an explanation for the double booking as none was offered. Would not use this guest house again!!!!

Room Tip: Still an excellent area to visit but I do not recommend this guest house.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Sian C
halifax
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed at the Castle Gate by accident! Here's how...

I used Laterooms to book at The Georgian guest house round the corner. I received my confirmation e mail from Laterooms and shut off the computer, secure in the knowledge that the booking was made. We then went away for the weekend, and I didn't check my e mails again for a few days. When I did check, I found an e mail from the proprietor of The Georgian, apologising that she didn't have a room for me after all, as 'at the same time' as I was booking on Laterooms, she took a booking personally. This e mail was sent about 40 minutes after Laterooms confirmation e mail to me. The Georgian's proprietor said that she had arranged for a room to be held for us at the Castlegate if I wanted it. Under the circumstances, I felt we didn't have a lot of choice, so accepted it. Laterooms users thus beware!!!

So, Castle Gate. It's a 3 star B&B, and is very clean & tidy throughout. Not an inch of space is wasted. The proprietor doesn't live on the premises, and all rooms, apart from the dining room & kitchen, are letting rooms. There isn't a residents' lounge. As most people use their B&B only as a base, this doesn't matter. Our room was tastefully decorated and furnished, very 'now'. It was at the back, so we didn't have any problems with traffic noise. We did, however, hear every word of the lady in the next room's telephone conversation with her electricity provider when she was challenging her bill - the partition walls are very thin! The bed was comfortable, the en suite was compact but entirely satisfactory, and the hospitality tray was very good. Our kettle went 'bang', and was immediately replaced. The TV worked well. The breakfast was excellent - freshly cooked to your specification - and there was plenty of choice of cereals, juice, etc, if your taste isn't for the 'full English'. Parking is limited. Alnwick has poor on-street parking (because of how it's built). There are two or three spaces right outside the guest house (depending how close together you can squeeze your cars), but it does involve mounting a steep kerb and anything larger than a Fiesta sticks out into the pavement! There is a large pay and display car park nearby that's free after 6pm.

Tracy and her staff were pleasant and helpful, and we would certainly stay here again. It was excellent value for money. Note, however, that payment is required in cash.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back will be quiter, but the front facing rooms are bigger
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HalifaxThespian
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Great location,two minute walk to Alnwick Castle. There is plenty of pubs, shops and restaurants.

The owner of the Guest House is very friendly and willing to give you lots of information about Alnwick and good places to visit. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the bathroom is a tiny bit small. You get a breakfast each mining during your stay which is lovely!
I would definitely recommend this Guest House.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Stephanie S
Stockton on Tees
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

We were recieved with an extremely warm welcome from Tracy - she couldn't have been more helpful. Room 3 - yes there is traffic, but that is a small issue when you consider the excellent value for money and the ideal location for Barter Books, the gardens and castle.

Everyone we met in Alnwick were so friendly and could not do enough to make us feel very welcome. Some interesting pubs with good real ales - The 3 Wise Monkeys, Dirty Bottles. Excellent food served in the Black Swan and a visit to the Art House for an evening meal is a must!
Already planning a 2nd visit to Castle Gate Guest House!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple