“Quaint little B&B, even if above a pub” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Market Tavern and Lodge
Ranked #27 of 69 Alnwick B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado
“Quaint little B&B, even if above a pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on a Friday night, when I arrived the girl brought me to my room, it was a good size and the bed was nice. She asked when I would like breakfast and was very attentive, and the breakfast was not bad. I went to the pub for a beer and it was a nice atmosphere. The only bad thing is that there was loud music playing until midnight and you would hear people leaving the pub until 2am. There are also a church/city hall near by and the bells rang every hour all night long. If I return to Alnwick I might stay here again, but not on a Friday or Saturday.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I did a walk 2 years ago along the East Coast,got as far as Alnick,but being the last day of the holiday. I didn't have enough time to look at the castle and gardens. I promised myself to go back,hence this visit.The Market Tavern is very pleasant,I stayed here because it is in the middle of the town,short distance from the Castle(Where Harry Potter was filmed)Staff very helpful,Clean rooms, The shower being electric could do with updating,but a very good breakfast The Tavern does not do an evening meal.But there are many good resteraunts,I found an Italian one across from the castle by the arches.Young staff who couldn't do enough for me I was so impressed I went back the following night.I will be staying at the Tavern again next year,

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent,I was on the top floor beware of the stairs if you have a heavy bag.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank mike m
Cottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

This place is difficult to describe , run by two kids ( i think) , only people we saw. Breakfast hot and fresh but limited, paid good (dear- price for b/b. Central location good, parking non existent.
Noisey loo and bathroom a deathtrap. WE HAD great time again in Alnwick but we would maybe stay somewhere else. To expensive , to "quaint" and not enough atmosphere. Good Luck Market Tavern and please get your bathroom sorted,oh and cut your rates.wish I`d known Camilla/Chantelle.

Room Tip: ask for a visit to several rooms and look at the bathrooms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank eastriding
Lincolnshire, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Stayed just for one night, a Saturday night. Arrived in the early evening, a very attentive barmaid showed me to the room, the bathroom and made sure everything was OK. I was staying in the single room, so the bathroom is not en-suite, but is for exclusive use just down the corridor, which is fine by me and means that the bedroom is bigger than it would have been if they'd tried to squeeze a bathroom in - there was plenty of space for myself and my stuff. Well-provisioned courtesy tray and a decent sized TV.

There's no food on in the evening, but the pub is right in the centre of town and there's plenty of choice - I went just round the corner to the Chinese takeaway. Morrison's supermarket is even nearer if you fancy a snack.

Went downstairs later and the pub was very nice.

Two niggles. The single room has no windows to the outside, but does have a long window at the top of the opposite wall to the bed which gives onto the corridor, which was lit all night and meant that I couldn't get the room completely dark, which woke me up once during the night, and then earlier than I would have liked in the morning. Also the bathroom does not have a shower, but was perfectly clean, although they had left the shower gel bottles left by previous guests in the room. I thought this was a nice touch but might not be to some guests' taste.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank dkgy
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Myself and my wife stayed here for one night to attend a wedding in Alnwick, we found the Market tavern very comfortable and clean, the staff are a credit to the management, Chantelle deserves a special thank you for her impeccable manners and professional approach to her job she was very helpful from beginning to end, the breakfast was done perfectly and was very nice. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it highly for service and value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are a little noisy at night, but there again it is a pub in the town centre so it...
rasco81
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

Had 2 nights at this pub + B&B, situated in the centre of Alnwick. Was at first a bit miffed at lack of parking, but, simple solution provided by our Fab host, Camilla. Bring the car round at 6pm, park outside, obtain ticket, time states 10am next morning !!! Easy. The room was clean, bright and airy. Ample tea and coffee facilities, hair dryer, all you need. The breakfast was unbelievable. The bacon and sausage was of exceptional quality, for a bed and breakfast. The building IS old [its an old tavern], they have made the best of it and the young staff have breathed new life into it. I wish them every success. Its a B&B in an old tavern, doesnt pretend to be a 5* hotel, so embrace this and give them a visit. You wont be disappointed. The staff looked after us very well, We will visit again

1 Thank rasco81
Harrogate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife and I spent a night here while visiting castles, Holy Island, etc in Northumberland. It was reasonably priced and the rooms were pretty well furnished. The room itself showed its age a bit, but it wasn't really a problem. The windows look out on the town market and it's a nice enough view. Breakfast was pretty good (full English). Nothing spectacular, but better than you get at some of the poorer greasy spoon cafes.

I was expecting the tavern part of it to have a little more charm. The decor feels very much like a pub, but the three cask ale taps were all sitting empty on a Saturday in August, which leads me to believe this pub does not plan to do cask ales anymore. A real shame. They seemed more concerned with cheap shooters, lagers, and mixed drinks.

It really felt like a bar aimed at the teen/early 20s crowd stuffed in pub decor. They had a couple of the cheap, tacky, and flashy pub fruity type games and drink specials pushing quantity over quality.

Overally, I was really looking forward to having a nice pint or two before heading up to bed, but the bar atmosphere totally turned my wife and I off to it. If you like shooters and crappy lager, the tavern portion might be for you, but it doesn't fit the B&B or pub/inn mold.

It was loud until 2am or so when I presume they closed. That didn't really bother us. We expected it, but we were really hoping for a better pub experience. We've stayed in other pubs and had a great time. We didn't get any of that cozy small-town pub feel here.

So in short, come for the reasonably priced and comfortable rooms, skip the bar downstairs (there are a couple of better pubs in town, anyway).