The Plough
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Good 3.5/5
  • Pool
Newton Hall(Newton by the Sea)
Eshott Hall(Eshott)
Very Good 4/5
Purdy Lodge(Belford)
Very Good 4/5
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsnespresso machinesmall carboutique hotelalnwick gardensstayed here for one nightevening mealcomplimentary waterlovely hotelcheesecakespecials boardshort stayjolly fishermantea and coffee facilitiessalmontown centrewell worth a visitcooked breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We had a good meal here on a cold Saturday evening after a long and lovely walk up the coast. The food's good, and nicely presented (several choices for vegetarians, which was good for one of us!), service is good and friendly, the wine list's fairly extensive, the decor is attractive and there's enough space between the tables to have privacy if you want. There were a few empty tables but plenty of atmosphere without it being noisy.

No huge wow factor, but a good choice for a tasteful and relaxed meal, and conveniently v close to the centre of town. We'd be happy to go again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2014

If essentially you want B&B in the centre of Alnwick at a reasonable price, this may suit you. If you are expecting spoiling and or any frills then it won't. The staff could not have been more obliging and courteous but the general impression of The Plough is that it is a little tired. Our room was rather dark but we were only staying one night and it met our needs. Breakfast was generous but the coffee was luke warm. The friendly waitress had delivered our breakfast and was no longer there to rectify this if asked. Because I asked only for egg and bacon a double portion of this arrived, which was OK but one of the eggs was significantly uncooked around the yoke, so I didn't eat it but as I say I could have said something if I had wanted a second one. Fair to say I think we got what we paid for.

Room Tip: Ask for a light room. Ours was on the third floor and if you have mobility problems this may be worth checking out as I didn't notice a lift.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2014

After hearing that this place was under new management, I thought I would have a look. The place was clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. I had a Bacon and Brie Panini and chips. It was full to bursting and a reasonable price too. I will certainly be returning!!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank KyleH1708
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Wow ! Lovely food and good service. We popped in early evening and was glad we did! Fresh food and well presented. My husband had the sirlon steak which wad prevent. I had the cod in beer batter with the homemade tartare sauce. For pudding the lemon cheese cake was very good! A lovely mid-week treat!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Booked to stay here for 2 nights in march , didnt even last the one night ! room was approx 8' x 8'
with en suite bathroom , no windows apart from velux type window in roof , felt very claustrophobic in this very grubby room . thank goodness the owner of the annex next door came to the rescue with a beautiful room ( which he told me was up for refurb !) The Plough doesnt bear any resemblance to the photographs on its home page - i was very disappointed and never again !

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo