“Wedding weekend”
Review of The Plough

The Plough
Ranked #37 of 69 Alnwick B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Myself and my husband popped in here on Sunday 4th August around 8.15pm, the place was pretty quiet, but I'm assuming in the afternoon was busy as there were different roast dinners available?. I know this place has just had a refurb..it was very clean and fresh in the centre of Alnwick.
We just had a dinner and a drink in the restaurant, mine was fish goujons and chips with salad, I was quite surprised by the size very large goujons...plentiful...crispy batter not greasy at all, with home made tartar sauce very tasty. My husband had the penne pasta with smoked salmon in a garlic and cream sauce.again very tasty and very filling...I cannot comment on anything else, but would go again..

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Plough

Reviewed July 26, 2013

The Plough went under new management in March 2013, which HAS to be a good thing. It will take a while to come to where it could be, however. The rooms a variable in quality and size - make sure you view the proposed room on check-in. In one room, I am informed, the windows do not open - poor re-painting has sealed them closed.

The room I had on the top floor (no lift) was a reasonably-sized double with a shower and no bath. The weather was hot and so the windows had to be kept open at night - and it's surprising how much traffic passes even in the early morning hours. I'm a good sleeper, but the road outside seems to magnify the traffic noise. This problem is not, of course, restricted to The Plough: other lodgings on the same road, such as The White Swan, Bondgate, etc, have the same issue. AND those who have not ventured this far north in England should know that Air Con is somewhat rare!

The car park is worthy of mention - good and safe when one gets into it, but at least one driver I know refused to go through the narrow arch and tunnel to get to it - cowardly I would say - my hired Mondeo managed it with at least 3 mm clearance either side (yes, It would have been better if I had foledthe wing mirrors!).

FOOD ... dinner in the restaurant was excellent! Smoked Haddock - fantastic. Shoulder of lamb - exquisite. Desserts - delectable. Wine - reasonably priced. Service - very friendly and efficient. Cost ...... very reasonable and excellent value.

Breakfasts were typical for this class of hotel - cold cereals and cooked breakfast to order - both absolutely fine.

The BAR ... very popular in the area and, again, good and friendly.

LOCATION .... excellent ... almost in the centre of town and within a gentle stroll of The Alnwick Garden and Alnwick Castle.

In summary - all the staff were keen and friendly in all aspects of operations. I feel that this is a management that is very keen to lift standards and is already starting to make an impact as compared with my first contact with the hotel a year ago. I have rated The Plough as "Average", but if there was a "good" grade, I would have chosen this. With a little effort it will rate "Very Good".

Room Tip: Check the room before you accept. If you have heavy baggage or are not comfortable with lots of stai...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We popped into the Plough for a meal on our journey home. The staff were pleasant and helpful. We had a couple of drinks plus some food from the bar menu. The food was well presented, hot and arrived quickly. The stroganoff I had from the specials board was a little disappointing. It was mushroom and vegetable, but only had mushrooms and peppers. I would have expected more variety but perhaps that's just me.
Just as we left one of the staff ran after us as I had left my favourite cardigan behind. I am so grateful that they did!

The hotel is very central and served meals all day which was just what we were looking for.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed here in April. Liked it that much, we came again in June. Again, room was lovely, staff friendly and helpful and food was totally delicious. There are some bad reviews on Trip Advisor, but we would say ignore them. We are quite picky and hard to please and are the first to complain if something isn't right, but we find The Plough to be ideal for a weekend away and we will be back with them in the future. The food is out of this world. I had the lasagne on both Friday and Saturday night as it was so good. The lemon and lime cheesecake is to die for. Ideally located for alnwick castle and the town centre. Please do not be put off by the bad reviews. The plough is a lovely place to stay.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

We went in for tea (Friday 28th) myself, hubby and 5 yr old daughter! We were very quickly shown to the restaurant upstairs and promptly sat at a lovely table in the window! We chose the 3 course meal for 2 for £40 which came with a lovely bottle of wine! Our daughter had fresh chicken nuggets with veg and gravy! The food was very tasty, atmosphere was lovely and we were extremely impressed with the young gentleman serving us (Carl I believe) he made a fuss of our daughter making sure she was happy, which is a huge winner with us! Thank you we will be back :)

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Lulumay1
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have never been in a bar with such poor service and believe me I have been in quite a few. Really unhappy and unhelpful young staff who seemed to hate every minute of working in the bar. Perhaps due to us not being known in the bar was the main reason for waiting so long to get served as all the locals seemed to ger served first. However for all they knew I could have been a new regular. Absolutely no chat, smile or communication received for the hour we were present. Not very welcoming for what you would expect for a Punch owned bar. If we had enjoyed our visit we may have stayed for food but gave custom to friendlier place along the road. won't ever return even though it has nice interior.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Caazza
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Our room was very comfortable, the bed was huge and the bathroom had lots of fluffy towels.
Breakfast was great, lots of choice.
The bar area was very relaxed and welcoming, the staff were very friendly and helpful. It was busy as there was a christening reception, but the level of service was really good and nothing was too much trouble.
Considering the previous reviews, I was a little concerned, but was more than pleasantly surprised
. The staff are a credit to the new management team . Will definitely be staying here again. Thank you for making us feel so welcome.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family