“Got better!”
Review of The Plough

The Plough
Ranked #34 of 69 Alnwick B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 6, 2013

One of coldest Easter on record,arrived to freezing cold room,No towels or complimentary toiletries,told heating was on timer,and would turn on at four,towels ,We'd get them when extra staff turned up,heating did turn on as promised,but promptly turned off again,towel rail which was on same timer,did work,so bathroom was warm?we thought we'd have to spend night in shower room!no heating in morning what so ever,but towels had been delivered.Heating Engineer,came and sorted out heating next day,so no more problems,food Ok,but kept running out of bread for toast,were offered toasted burger buns,staff didnt clear away fast enough,had to tidy table to make room,I don't get it when staff,go back and fore to kitchen and can't tidy on the way past,it's not just here it happens in lots of places!Oh yes and I forgot to mention,although I binned old newspapers,daily,the cleaners tidied away my magazines into bin,and kept taking away the soap,leaving me with nothing to wash my hands,not pleased! Shower gel not best for hand washing,but when needs must!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gail W
Tessie441, Owner at The Plough, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

The review above actually relates to the rooms in The Annex of the Plough , not The Plough we are two totally separate businesses. Unfortunately we are only the key handlers for this establishment and have no control over the rooms there. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. However once again this was not The Plough but The annex of The Plough.

Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Called in on a whim at 6.00pm for a bite to eat. Were shown straight to a window table in the upstairs restaurant. Service was prompt and friendly. Opted for the homemade burger which was delicious however the "chunky" chips were a little disappointing. Overall a nice meal and would visit again.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Food was very average. Frozen chips, frozen burger. Soup was good. Staff couldn't be bothered and got the order wrong anyway bringing the mains before the starter. We were all put off anyway by a big wet patch and thick white fungus in the corner of the bistro ceiling. Didn't leave a tip which is very unusual for me. A bit like Wetherspoons food.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank GM368
Tessie441, General Manager at The Plough, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

We have recently taken over the management of The Plough and our first task was to sort out the damp issue in the bistro which had been neglected by the previous management. This has now been resolved and the area repainted.
All our beefburgers are homemade by our chefs and we are now serving hand cut chips on our menu, all our pates and desserts are also homemade and would encourage anyone to come along and try a dish from our new menus.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed here for two nights while attending a family event at the Plough. We have visited Alnwick a lot and stayed in most of the main hotels.

Our room was in the main building at the front. It was large and clean and very comfy. The bathroom was well doing and the shower very good. The toilet does make a very loud noise when you flush which caused a shock the first time :-)

Only thing I would say was that the bed was very soft which I personally found uncomfy, but was not a 'deal breaker' and we enjoyed our stay.

The hotel were very accommodating in letting us have an early breakfast the morning we checked out. We will consider staying here again when we next come to Alnwick.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights after booking here very late on a whim.
We had room 5 in the main building which is a nice double room. The artwork on the wall needed a good dust though. Bed was very comfy but the pillows were rubbish.
Beware the scary toilet which makes very loud strange noises when flushed & at other random intervals - it made us both jump out of our skin every time!
Large flat screen tv is good but you have to go through a channel search every time it's turned on which gets a bit annoying.
Dressing table is in a dark corner which is no good for doing your make up.
Breakfast isn't bad but being served only until 9.30am & check out by 10am makes the mornings rushed.
We ate in the restaurant on the Saturday night it was a very pleasant meal however, I ordered off the specials board & was told the meal came with veg so I ordered some chips to go with it. When my meal arrived it actually came with veg & mash so I'd ordered the chips for no reason. Also it's worth noting that no food is served beyond 6pm on a Sunday, even for those staying at the hotel.
Plus points are free parking & great location a very short stroll to the castle & gardens & into the centre of the town. Also very close to the famous Barter Books.
Staff were all nice & polite.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank DebbyL25
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed at the Annex of the Plough with my girlfriend. Such a nice place. We chose it because it was the nearest hotel to Alnwick Gardens, it took around 5 min to walk. Nice staff and good food served in the Plough. Already booked again for September.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Darren B
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Great! Stayed here over the course of last week as part business trip and seeing family. I could not have stayed in a nicer place. The staff were so friendly and helpful and my room was very pleasant with a very comfy bed. I had a room facing the road and was worried about previous peoples comments but I had no need to be. The town centre location also made it easy to walk to local shops/restaurants and Barter Books which is the best/largest 2nd hand book shop I have ever had the pleasure of perusing.

Room Tip: Room 4 did it for me!