The Plough
Travelocity
Purdy Lodge(Belford)
$117
$105
Newton Hall(Newton by the Sea)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsnespresso machinesmall carboutique hotelalnwick gardensstayed here for one nightevening mealcomplimentary waterlovely hotelcheesecakespecials boardshort stayjolly fishermantea and coffee facilitiessalmontown centrewell worth a visitcooked breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I booked this hotel for my partner's birthday and was looking for a decent place to stay in Alnwick. I was worried about some of the negative reviews left by other people but couldn't find any other reasonable alternatives so I went for it! I'm not sure if they have read previous reviews and acted on them, or if it was a coincidence, but the staff were very welcoming and helpful. They were there on arrival and the best thing was that there were no taxi's available, so they gave us a lift to another restaurant at their suggestion!!!
The room was nicely decorated - a bit of a smell from the toilet though (room 2) and it was true (as was in another review) that the radiators are on full blast, so it is boiling hot! We had to open the window and leave the room to cool while we were out. It's modern in feel, just needs a few adjustments in my view - a valance so you can't see the wheels of the bed and another shelf in the small bathroom. Some tissues and a suitcase stand would also help as I prefer to spend the first 5 mins unpacking and getting organised rather than covering the surfaces in stuff.
The breakfast was very nice and a good selection of hot food. I stay all over the world, so I really am rather picky!!! I would certainly recommend this place.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank snowqueen75
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Looking to organise a golfing trip for Sept. next year we were drawn to stop by the lighting and beauty of the sandstone building for an overnight stay. It became two nights after we had lovely spacious rooms with two excellent evening meals and tasty breakfasts . Lovely kind and helpful staff. Would recommend for location , off road private parking ,in town and handy for A1.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before booking if passing through the area otherwise ask for a quality room with ensuite and if traffic noise is an issue, perhaps a room on the top floor or at the back would be better
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter R
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Room was lovely with more than enough space for two adults and one child. Staff were very helpful and friendly. We ate in the restaurant and the food was delicious. Early Bird menu excellent value for money. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Angela F
Reviewed October 16, 2011

What a gem of a place. Travelled to Alnwick for business and on arrival was greeted by cheery helpful staff in the bar and shown to my room. The room was comforable, well decorated, with a large ensuite. I had not booked a table for an evening meal, but was immediately shown to a table even though the restaurant was busy. Service was quick, efficient, friendly and helpful and the food was superb. Only down side was that I was only staying there for one night! Would I go there again, most definitely!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank 123Avril
Reviewed October 5, 2011

My husband & I stayed in this hotel on the eve of our wedding & the night of our wedding. So did many of our wedding guests , all of whom were disappointed with the standards of the rooms facilities in the hotel and the staff's attitudes. The rooms are decorated nicely but the appearance is very deceiving.

The room we were in had a fridge which did not work, a T.V which would not change channel and a blind which was broken which resulted in us returning from our wedding and having to sit for 40 minutes whilst the night porter fiddled with it. He couldn't fix it so we were taken to a room across the corridor that was tiny and had the most dreadful sewage smell in there. VERY DISAPPOINTING!

There is no room service (no phones in any of the rooms to call for drinks etc) if you do go down to reception (which is actually the bar of the hotel) there was never anyone there. This resulted in playing find a staff member. It was all very irritating.

The cleaning staff ( and I really don't like to say this but sadly it is just a fact) were the rudest most common women I think I've ever come accross.

On the morning of my wedding whilst I was getting myself ready and being happy, these two wisoned old ladies had nothing better to do than moan about other guests who were staying in the hotel to me( not my business what anyone else is or is not doing in the hotel). They wanted to be in my room when it was not at all convenient.I found them to be extremely offensive and rude in their tone and manner. If you asked for anything there wasn't once a thank you sir or madam. They were overly familiar with us. Not in a friendly way. In a rude, inappropriate way.

The bathroom door was broken i.e it would not stay shut of its own accord. This was very irritating and caused embarrassing problems when my bridesmaid or I needed the loo and the photographer was present.

The breakfast they supplied was ok. So there's a positive.I guess if you wanted to stay here for just the night and then go off for the day it'd be fine, but for a wedding party - bad news and do avoid it! Rooms are small and not much room to walk about the bed.

There appears to be a drainage problem in this hotel. All our guets and ourselves complained about the awful sewage smell in every room.

I hated my stay here and so did all our guests. Avoid it.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in this hotel. Sorry.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple