“Extremely Disappointing!”

Ranked #39 of 67 Alnwick B&B and Inns
England
“Extremely Disappointing!”
Reviewed October 5, 2011

My husband & I stayed in this hotel on the eve of our wedding & the night of our wedding. So did many of our wedding guests , all of whom were disappointed with the standards of the rooms facilities in the hotel and the staff's attitudes. The rooms are decorated nicely but the appearance is very deceiving.

The room we were in had a fridge which did not work, a T.V which would not change channel and a blind which was broken which resulted in us returning from our wedding and having to sit for 40 minutes whilst the night porter fiddled with it. He couldn't fix it so we were taken to a room across the corridor that was tiny and had the most dreadful sewage smell in there. VERY DISAPPOINTING!

There is no room service (no phones in any of the rooms to call for drinks etc) if you do go down to reception (which is actually the bar of the hotel) there was never anyone there. This resulted in playing find a staff member. It was all very irritating.

The cleaning staff ( and I really don't like to say this but sadly it is just a fact) were the rudest most common women I think I've ever come accross.

On the morning of my wedding whilst I was getting myself ready and being happy, these two wisoned old ladies had nothing better to do than moan about other guests who were staying in the hotel to me( not my business what anyone else is or is not doing in the hotel). They wanted to be in my room when it was not at all convenient.I found them to be extremely offensive and rude in their tone and manner. If you asked for anything there wasn't once a thank you sir or madam. They were overly familiar with us. Not in a friendly way. In a rude, inappropriate way.

The bathroom door was broken i.e it would not stay shut of its own accord. This was very irritating and caused embarrassing problems when my bridesmaid or I needed the loo and the photographer was present.

The breakfast they supplied was ok. So there's a positive.I guess if you wanted to stay here for just the night and then go off for the day it'd be fine, but for a wedding party - bad news and do avoid it! Rooms are small and not much room to walk about the bed.

There appears to be a drainage problem in this hotel. All our guets and ourselves complained about the awful sewage smell in every room.

I hated my stay here and so did all our guests. Avoid it.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in this hotel. Sorry.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TinkEngland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Myself and a friend stayed here on a fri and sat night.when we arrived there was no reception to check in nor any staff around! Had to wait ages for a member of staff to assist us.the window was facing the drive into the car park so each time you got changed you had to shut the blind as people could see straight into our room!the bathroom stank of sewerage and made awful gurgling noises ALL night.the following day we was pulled aside by an unsavoury female staff member that "told us off" like school children for smoking in the room,however it was nowhere stated that smoking was not permitted. A book appeared on our bed open paged quoting "you will be fined 50.00 for smoking in this room.hammering/maintenance work going on outside our window Sunday lunchtime.staff were unorganised,no phone in the room,I also had to ask for the heating to be put on..twice. It was freezing in the room! Bed was 2singles bolted together with a sponge topper that made you roll into the middle. Some light bulbs were out also thick dust on bedroom furniture! Total rip off for 100.00 a night. A stay at the ritz can be found cheaper! Never again.

• Stayed September 2011
3 Thank Chuckanpliers

Travelers are raving about these Alnwick hotels

Port Orchard, Washington
Reviewed September 7, 2011

The hotel is well decorated and the rooms are nice but we had to tolerate 2 nights of sewer stink coming from the shower and toilet in our room. Something to do with the type of plumbing apparently but it was so very bad. Also we had 4 recess lights not working in our room which made the lighting very bad. Food is good but service is terrible and at breakfast there was not one single table cleaned. I certainly do not think it is worth the 115 GBP per night. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Jane S
Scotland
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The hotel is well appointed and the staff are courteous and helpful. However, the heat in the bedrooms in the main building is unacceptable. The radiators have no thermostat controls and are extremely hot. One of our rooms had no ventilation and my son was forced to leave the hotel very early. We complained and were told the heating would be off but on leaving I complained again and was told ' that's the heating!' It seems the annexe can be cold but that should be a separate issue. We have emailed and written to the manager but no one has replied. Disappointing. This is obviously a winter hotel! Spoiled an otherwise perfect family weekend

Room Tip: Check if the windows open!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Niddry
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We paid for my parents to stay in Blackmores for 2 nights whilst they were visiting us from Spain. My Mum told me from the moment they arrived they were "pampered" by the very attentive staff. They said the rooms were fantastic, clean and comfortable.

The food was amazing, both at breakfast, lunch & dinner. They loved the quality of the food so much they didnt venture out to other restuarants in Alnwick!

Just want to say thanks Blackores for making my parents stay in Alnwick memorable

Room Tip: All rooms perfect
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ReddragonYork
manchester
Reviewed August 2, 2011

we arrived on the night of our wedding day, staff were lovely and approachable, very very helpful, bedroom was gorgeous and the bed........ well! my own bed isn't that cosy!! the shower was amazing we now feel our own dribbles on us, the breakfast was brilliant!! and the toilet wasn't loud as previously mentioned by a past customer on this review site, some people just love to complain!! we will defiantly be back
Mr and Mrs Walker

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrAndMrsWalker2011
none
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Very friendly staff, though far too few ie bar staff checked us in, not soap etc in the room, at breakfast the cleaners had to be called into serve, and no one at reception to sign out at 9.30am. only the overworked breakfast waitress. The breakfast was fine - avoid ground floor room in the annexe - noisy traffic.
Real concern that if an emergency at night, no night porter, no phone in the room, and no reception on our mobile - we felt rather isolated.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple