“Terrible” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 69 Alnwick B&B and Inns
Kent
“Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

We didn't get to stay at the hotel as after we had placed a booking, answered all the relevant questions and handed over our credit card details we then got a phone call 45 minutes later after we had purchased rail tickets, to inform us that we couldn't book 3 out of the 4 rooms available as one of our guests is a 10 year old. I stated at the time of booking that I was sharing a room with my child yet it took them 45 minutes to decide they did not want us. Not only did I find their manner offensive they also had no regard for the fact that we had now made travel arrangements based on the expectation of a competent and quality service. This is the worst customer service I have had for quite some time.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
11 Thank Hopefultraveller030
AlnwickWanderer, Co_proprietor at West Acre House, responded to this review, March 23, 2010
Dear Trip Advisor, we did receive a telephone call from this lady whilst we were in a the middle of our evening meal, I explained that I would email her later regarding the booking once our meal was finished. she said would be sharing a room with her son, no age was mentioned. A short while later I rang back to clarify the age of her son, she stated that he was 10 yrs old, I apologised that we could not take the booking as our policy was minimum age of 15yrs, this is our 'stated' policy, and is in several obvious places on our website. (Due to our policy we receive many guests who value a quiet break away from young children) After I brought this to the lady’s attention she became agitated and I again apologised that we could not accept the booking, at all times remaining calm and polite.
The lady became rude and offensive on the phone and accused me of not bringing the 'age policy' to her attention at the time of booking, but as she been looking at our website and had not volunteered the age of her son at the time of booking I was unaware of his age and as I was preparing an evening meal it slipped my mind to ask, that's why I politely called her back for clarification. She had given me her credit card details which is normal, I am an authorised operator for a large bank using their pdq machine, however no transaction took place and her details were shredded. She was informed of this. I also brought to her attention other accommodation in the area who actually had family rooms and who took younger children. I did all that I could in a professional and amicable way to help her and I thought we parted company in a civilised manner. I later received an email from her thanking me for handling her credit card details securely.

We pride ourselves in running a very good quality guest house and have the comfort of our guests in our mind at all times. Unfortunately there will be times when we do not live up to everyone's expectations, we apologise for this but do try our best!
Bruce Hewison Co-Proprietor

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2010

I am so often disappointed with accommodation in the UK. I get fed us with complaining and it always takes the edge off my stay and trip. Not in this case I am for once able to walk away with great memories. The welcome was lovely (how did they know i love Fruit cake) The room was spotless, the bed amazing, the house stunning and advise spot on. If one can take time out to complain one can also take time out to complement.
Thank you both so much for your hospitality, we will recommend people and we will be back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Carlisle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the West Acre House and completely relaxed in the luxurious surroundings. The attention to detail was obvious and we had a lovely large room with good sized bathroom and walk in wadrobe. It was a peacful stay and Bruce and Jeanette were very welcoming, they respected your privacy yet were on hand to give advice of were to vist and the best paces to eat in Alnwick. The decor was like being home from home for us and would certainly recommend West Acre Hose to our friends.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2010

Excellent room, very quiet. Sevice friendly and helpful but know when to respect privacy. Good location for walk into town. Our third visit; highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

We stayed last weekend and found Bruce and Jeannette to be so welcoming and their home to be incredibly comfortable.. The room was lovely and my poached eggs were perfect after an excellent wedding at the castle. I really appreciated the excellent (and not to mention highly restorative) coffee!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Harrogate
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2010

My partner and I have stayed here 3 years running and are going again at the end of March 2010. Out of all of the places we have stayed, West Acre House is the only one that we would recommend as we know it is always brilliant!!

Bruce and Jeanette make you feel welcome the moment you step in the door. You are offered a slice of cake and cup of tea. We were so relaxed that it was hard to move up to our room.

The rooms are beautiful, very clean and so comfortable. You are given supplementary sherry and nibbles, fresh fruit too. Breakfast is great. It is real luxury!!

Nothing is too much trouble and if you need any information about the area, things to do, places to see or were to eat Bruce and Jeanette are extremely helpful.

We will be visiting again in the summer months!

Definitely the place to stay if your visiting Alnwick.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2010

My husband and i stayed here for two nights over new year. The accommodation was second to none, the owners are extremely nice people who seem to be able to cater for your every need and needs you didnt even think about yourself. They went above and beyond and made our stay very special. You may think it a little pricey but believe me it's well worth every penny and excellant value for money. We will definitely stay here again and again and again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple