“Excellent . . . but!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oundle
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent . . . but!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had booked a night's stay through Secret Escapes for myself and our very dear friends to celebrate our joint Anniversaries. To our delight the Talbot Hotel in Oundle was just lovely. Our rooms were very well equipped and I was pleased that our friends were next door. The evening meal was wonderful and there was a really good buz in the restaurant & bar area. The staffs there were very helpful and accommodating, although it was very hot in the restaurant. What was a disappointment though was when we were checking out ~ not quite what we were expecting as we were told that we hadn't paid for our stay. I assured the receptionist that we had and passed her the confirmation, but she was very insistent and my husband had to pay again. When we got home, I had checked and we had paid. I phoned the hotel the next morning and was told that they had reimbursed the money, which was as she said, but what was disappointing was the receptionists attitude when I tried to explain how she had left my husband and I feeling. There was a lame excuse for an apology and dismissed it as if the whole thing was our fault ~ which it clearly wasn't. The receptionist should have checked her records or at least contacted Secret Escapes to verify the transation ID and payment ID that was on my confirmation. What a pity ~ a beautiful hotel, a lovely town, spoilt by the lack of empathy and sincerity from the receptionist.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
BulldogHotelGroup, Manager at Talbot Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Redrose1956,
Thank you for posting a review following your recent visit with us at the Talbot in Oundle. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us overall and can only apologise for any inconvenience caused when you checked out of the hotel and my colleague on the desk did not understand that you had already prepaid for your stay. I appreciate your patience and understanding on this matter and can assure you that we have discussed the incident with the team to make sure everyone is clear about the arrangements with the particular package concerned. I do hope this less enjoyable aspect of your stay will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.

With grateful regards, Bruno Mollier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We recently had our wedding reception in the Westgate room at the Talbot hotel with overnight stays for ourselves and a number of guests. We couldn't be more positive about the hotel in general and the food, staff and service were all absolutely first class. Right from the initial enquiry, through to the planning and organisation, the menu selections and taster sessions, the family meal the evening before and the morning after as well as the big day itself, the staff in general and Bruno in particular were enthusiastic, knowledgeable, accommodating, extremely professional and couldn't do enough for both our guests and ourselves. The food was fantastic, especially considering the 50+ individual meals, the reception room setting was beautiful and the service was first class. Bruno also agreed to MC on our behalf and did an outstanding job with excellent timing and delivery of announcements as required, and otherwise remaining unobtrusive in the background throughout the day but always there if needed. We stayed overnight in the Wood- Newton suite which was perfect in every way. The room had everything we could have wanted (Especially a bath big enough for two after a long day) and more. A number of guests stayed in the hotel as well. We have had no end of genuinely positive comments from all our guests about the Talbot, specifically the hotel, its' location, food, service and the rooms. And all of the above at a very reasonable price! All- in- all, we couldn't have asked for a better day and we cannot recommend the Talbot highly enough to anyone considering their reception! Thank you to the Talbot and Bruno for helping to make our wedding the perfect day that it was!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear fsoijnvoijs,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review following your wedding reception with us at the Talbot. We thoroughly enjoyed looking after you all and I am delighted to hear that you have such fond memories of the day to cherish. If we have helped create these in any way, that is exactly what we would have hoped and I am very grateful to you for your kind words. Enjoy married life together with our best wishes from us all at the Talbot! Bruno Mollier
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was our third visit to the Talbot and once again we were treated royally. The room was clean and comfortable and the breakfasts delicious. Our waitress was friendly and accommodating; nothing being too much trouble. We will certainly be staying there again.

Room Tip: Though they have themed rooms, which are nice for special occasions, the 'ordinary' rooms ar...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank robert1939
I could not ask for a better compliment than your choosing to stay with us again and again. It is simply wonderful to read how much you enjoy spending time with us at the Talbot and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With warmest regards, Bruno Mollier
Oundle
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I would like to say that we have been very impressed with the make over, the service and the food and the Talbot has become a regular eating place for us. We are always made to feel welcome. A special thank you must go to Dominic,Suzi and Andrew who always work hard to deliver a top quality service, but this is also true of all the staff that we have come in to contact with. We have never been disappointed. Keep up the good work!!!!

Room Tip: we did not stay in a room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lorraine S
BulldogHotelGroup, Manager at Talbot Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Lorraine S,

Thank you for posting this lovely review. All our efforts are geared to simply achieving exactly what you describe. We aim for all our customers to receive great meals, great service, and enjoy the new environment at the Talbot, each and every time. It is so kind of you to mention some of the great team members who work here too. I am sure they will be very proud of seeing their name in print and so they should be. We all appreciate your compliments very much and just as importantly, we really appreciate your custom.

With kind regards, Bruno Mollier
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We got married at the Talbot Hotel in May. The staff at this fabulous hotel were brilliant and could not do enough for us and our wedding guests. The food (wedding breakfast & buffet) was excellent and our guests are still talking about how fantastic everything was to this day. Thank you so much to all the staff who helped in making our day so perfect, especially Tina, Bruno, Dominic, Suzi and James (DJ). We wish we could do it all over again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NSimmonds
Dear NSimmonds,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post these wonderful words. We all thoroughly enjoyed looking after you and all your guests from the prior preparations to the Big Day itself. I cannot imagine a better way to describe your wedding day than your commenting that you wish you could do it all over again. This is simply fabulous and I am very grateful to you for acknowledging those team members whom are going to feel so pleased that you feel they have personally contributed to making it such a special day. I might even include myself in and amongst those. I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy your new married life and remember, we are here for those anniversaries celebrations too!

Warmest regards to you both, Bruno Mollier
London
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Having booked the Talbot for a wedding we were informed of the rather late check in time. Most hotels are fairly accommodating if you have a wedding to get to - not the Talbot. I suppose that's their prerogative....however you'd expect the room to be ready when you do actually get the stated check in time, especially since they appear to be such sticklers. Well it wasn't and the time was ticking for getting to the wedding. Eventually we had to demand that we be given access to our room to change - and yes it was in a state, including a 'present' in the toilet. Any apology for not being ready? No. When was it ready? An hour after stated check in time. Response when I complained the next morning - a feeble apology, no offer of a discount despite not meeting their own strict timings. On the plus side, the staff at breakfast were very pleasant.

Room Tip: Bring your own marigolds.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ChrisNewmanLondon
BulldogHotelGroup, Manager at Talbot Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear ChrisNewmanLondon,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Talbot Hotel last month and for your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies as it was clearly a mistake on our part to allow you to access the bedroom you were allocated when the housekeeping team had not yet serviced it. It can be difficult at times when the hotel is fully booked the previous night and guests attending events early in an afternoon the following day arrive at lunch time on the day of their stay. Occasionally there are more guests arriving early than we can realistically accommodate, depending upon what time the previous guests vacated their rooms. At the same time, we should always aim to ensure all our rooms are serviced by the time we specify and I am sorry that we failed to do so on this occasion. I have spoken to our Head Housekeeper and asked we look at our staffing more closely on weekends when such situation may occur again. It would be most helpful if you would contact me personally and let me know the actual date of your stay in order I can speak to the team members who were on duty at the time. I hope you will kindly contact me soon.

With kind regards, Bruno Mollier
Lanarkshire
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I made a special trip to Oundle to take a very dear relative out for her birthday lunch. I had heard of the Talbot's makeover and first impressions are very good. The glazed lounge area was very pleasant for our pre lunch coffee and the service up this point was fine and friendly. However, things went a bit downhill when we moved to the restaurant area for lunch. Inattentive service and a lack of the right quality details meant that the best thing about our lunch was in fact our own conversation and company. I hope the management can turn this around as the quality of the renovation is impressive, just a shame the actual experience of being there does not match up.

Room Tip: We didn't stay, lunch only.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Growyourownveg
Dear Growyourownveg,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent lunch visit at the Talbot in Oundle and may I say I love your "reviewer" name! I am very sorry to hear that you felt the staff on duty were not as attentive as you expected in our restaurant that day. This is certainly not the standard we wish our customers to experience. Please be assured I have spoken to our Food & Beverage Manager and asked that he discuss your feedback with the team and takes remedial action where needed urgently. I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on future occasions and ensure you experience the Talbot as it should be.

With grateful regards, Bruno Mollier
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oundle
Barton Hall Hotel
The Three Swans Hotel
#1 of 5 in Market Harborough
The William Cecil at Stamford
Best Western Plus Peterborough Orton Hall Hotel & Spa

Been to Talbot Hotel? Share your experiences!