“great pub”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Oundle, United Kingdom
“great pub”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I am far less good at positive reviews when I am happy than negative ones when I am not. A fantastic meal in this pub today, delicious Spanish Lamb saussages and quick polite service. It would be great to see a slightly more extensive wine list but what is there is good. Its a proper pub, not a cotswold attempt at a gastro weekend only used to be pub, so dont expect a London eating experience, but what you get is great and authentic.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Marshalzhukov

UK
“Lovely pub, good service and interesting food”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Went here for a bite of lunch. The menu doesn't seem to contain what you might call "light bites" with the main part of the menu being standard pub food like lamb shank. However, they have a tapas menu. We had five tapas dishes between the two of us. They were pretty good quality. The bar staff were lovely: very friendly and more than willing to explain each dish. They also have four high quality beers on tap, brought these across to our table when they were quite busy etc. The pub itself has a really nice feel to it. My only proviso is that they might want to think about those just after a sandwich or equivalent.

• Visited January 2013
Norfolk, United Kingdom
“Disappointing!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We ate here the Sunday before Christmas meeting friends on route North. We have eaten here several times before but unfortunately have never been 'blown away'. It seems to be a pub that has lost its way, not really knowing what it is. We met at 7 for 7.30 but were harassed immediately to order even though we were still waiting for one of our party to arrive. It didn't help that we only had one menu between us. The waitress told us of a couple of things not available but then returned a couple of times after taking the order because other things were also not available so some of our party of 6 had to make two changes! When we asked for some bread and olive oil we were told they had run out of bread! Our waitress looked as though she would much rather have been somewhere else, perhaps she'd had a bad day!? It was a great evening because the company was good but the food was uninspired and the service tardy. This pub looks great from the outside and promises so much when you go in but just doesn't deliver. A much better venue as far as we are concerned is The Chequered Skipper in the beautiful village of Ashton just up the road ... but they were fully booked that night. In future we shall make the reservation earlier!

• Visited December 2012
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Relaxing End to Stressful Journey”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We always have a pre-Christmas meal at the Kings Arms for a relaxed meal with friends prior to the festivities. My evening got off to a terrible start when I broke down en route to the Kings Arms. When I finally arrived the rest of my party had finished their desserts. This didn't phase the chef (I was now an hour later than booked) and he calmly cooked my main course which was soon with me (I was starving by this point!). The turkey was beautifully cooked with some wonderful seasonal vegetables (including the less welcome sprouts which I detest!) and home made cranberry sauce, but it was topped by a black forest trifle with amaretti. I cannot even begin to describe how luscious this dessert was.

The service was excellent and attentive and I was able to unwind in a warming, traditional and friendly pub.

• Visited December 2012
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Disappointing!”
Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

First time I've visited the place! Usually when you enter a place like this you get a "hello, we'll be with you in a moment". We didn't, we just stood there. Then when we said we'd like lunch we were told to go and find a table. There were tables for ten and eighteen but none set up for two. Finally someone cleared a table and we had somewhere to sit! Fifteen minutes later we were brought some iced water but then she left, after another ten minutes she returned to ask us if we wanted a drink....... At this point we decided to order. My wife ordered chicken supreme and I had the steak, we also ordered a starter to share, tapas. The tapas turned up and was quite nice but we felt it took a while to arrive. When the mains finally arrived my wife said that the chicken was lovely but the potatoes were in fact one slice of potato and the parsnips were just three thin slices. Apart from the chicken there was nothing else apart from some sauce. So a breast of chicken and not much else. As for my steak, I had to send it back as it was undercooked. Also it's described as 'served on a charred oak plank' which was in fact a burnt lump of wood taking up the majority of the plate. I really didn't think this added anything to the meal except little pieces of burnt wood that stick to the streak. There were chips and a few bit of onion but nothing else but some sauce it would have been great to have had a tomato and some mushrooms with it. Needless to say we felt like we had been in there for ages so we didn't have a desert even though they sounded nice we. At this point we found out that they couldn't take credit cards the machine wasn't working! They didn't mention that they could only take cash when we arrived luckily we had enough between us to pay the bill. All in all the food is ok but we left wanting more and I didn't think the staff were very attentive and the service was poor. I can see that there are some good reviews for this place but I for one will not be returning I think there are better places in the area. Maybe they were just having an off day but I won't be risking another experience like the one I had!

1 Thank Iain A