“Expensive”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Expensive”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Have always wondered what Barton Hall was like inside as I've passed it hundreds of times, well it is in need of a lot of TLC so it's good luck In that respect and nothing like its sister premises at Rushton Hall.
Vines is the refurbished part downstairs overlooking the lawns and Wicksteeds Park.
Nice airy bar and long narrow restaurant but totally lacks the atmosphere needed to command the prices. The Wall mounted lights were guilded in tin foil but the Chandeliers were beautiful.

We had the set 3 course Sunday Lunch at£19.95, for another £5 could have gone to Rushton or the George at Stamford.
Three courses with a good selection and had they been at £15 I would be saying good value give it a go but at £20 I don't think I will be returning.
Staff were plentiful if not too many so service was good.
Clientele were aged and although I'm 60+ felt a bit out of place sorry!
A little disappointed but that's life, you never know until you try, or maybe check it out on here first.

• Visited April 2013

“Lovely surroundings let down by slow service”
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Visited on Thursday night for the first time - the food was very tasty if a little over priced. The big let down was the lack of waiting staff, only one waitress and the bar manager. The courses were a little slow coming out although the steaks were cooked to perfection.
The Calves Liver was a little undercooked.

Not too bad for a first visit - hope they get the staffing right and that the kitchen becomes more efficient...

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank mrt765
Kettering, England, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable meal”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have just taken my mum for a lovely birthday meal we choice of the set menu it was lovely. Fresh,
well presented and plesant staff.My only comment would be for such a grand building and beautiful interior designs and furnishing it should have had table linen. I would most deffinately go back again to sample some more of their other food and appreciate the gardens.

Kettering, United Kingdom
“Pleasant atmosphere, good food and friendly staff”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I went for lunch at the Vines Restaurant with my wife and my parents at the weekend. The restaurant has a lovely view out over the garden and orangery. The restaurant was quiet when we arrived at 12.30, but soon started to fill up without ever becoming too loud. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The food is a touch on the fancy and small portioned size. However, it tasted fantastic and I was full when I left. The steak in particular was cooked perfectly.

At about £40 a head for a 3 course meal and drinks, it's not cheap, but it was value for money.

northants
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We had been thinking of visiting The Vines for a while and finally went last night. We had heard mixed reports and read the mixed reviews so were not sure quit what to expect. The building and setting are very impressive. The bar area is comfortable and spacious. The restaurant areas are similar but not quite as nice. Choice of drinks is acceptable but I would have preferred a real ale option. (Speckled hen in bottles). Bottle of wine reasonably priced for a restaurant. We had a selection of nibbles to start with followed by a steak and modules marinar as mains. The food was hot fresh And well presented. The modules were lovely but the fries served with them would have been better replaced with the chunky chips as served with the steak. The steak was very tasty and tender. The sweat course was also very good.
Service was attentive, polite and friendly. The bill was reasonable for the evening, although I do feel the steak was slightly over priced.
Will we return - definitely yes. It's good to have a better dining option in kettering, and we will support it.