“Exceptional”

Ranked #42 of 212 Restaurants in Kettering
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Vivo is a 70 seat restaurant providing an intimate, fun atmosphere for lunch and dinner from Monday to Saturday. Two courses are available every lunchtime and Monday to Thursday evening until 7pm for just £9.95 And a chef's special menu is also available most weeks. Our A La Carte menu is available every night and is changed twice per year. Our restaurant is family-run and children are very welcome at any time - a children's menu and high chair facilities are available. We also will prepare any vegetarian dish that we have ingredients in stock for and have gluten-free food available too. Please note that our wood-fired pizza oven is not usually available at lunchtimes - except by special request for large parties.
Reviewed July 2, 2012

As I work in the catering trade it is extremely difficult to find a GOOD restaurant in the Kettering area, until I found Vivo. From the moment I arrived I was greeted in a friendly manner, seated with my partner, and offered drinks a few moments later, which I enjoyed (chance to look at the wine list). The menu was lovely and what you would expect from an Italian restaurant with a few added twists. I had garlic mushrooms and my partner had prawns and we was woowed, I had steak with gorgonzola and my partner had pizza for main course, I need to say the steak was out of this world, I have had this steak dish before and never enjoyed it this much as it is normally swimming in sauce, however my steak was cooked to perfection with cubes of gorgonzola melting gently into the steak, I tried my partners pizza and know now i will be spoilt for choice next time i visit. The desserts were homemade and I so want the recipe as I cant get that taste when I cook at home. As we left we noticed an advertisement for a meal deal at £9.95 when I asked about it at the bar the manager showed us the menu and gave me a card for the website, all I can say is I have been living in Kettering for a long time I never know Vivo existed..............

1  Thank jasmine1002003

Reviewed May 4, 2012

I phoned up to book a table for a thursdya eveing and the phone was rudley answered by a man who clearly didnt want to be talking to me. he answered with "vivo" and when i asked for a table for four he replied "yes" then i siad the time and he said "okay bye" it made me very silly but we decided to see what it was like because we had heard some good reviews. we then needed to change the time of the meal so i phoned again and the phone was answered by the same man, he again answered "vivo" and i explained why we needed an earlier table so i asked for atble for 6.00pm and he said "no" so i asked for half 6 and he rudley replied no again so i asked for 7.00pm and he said yes then hung up.
we got to the restaurant orded our drinks and picked our food they manager came over and took our orders for us to find out that 2 out of the 7 starters were not in stock but we didnt get told this when we sat down so a few of us had to change our mind and there was no apology just a rude grunt. 30mins later we werre still wauiting for our drink and our starters came out they were lovely and very pleasent nothibng wrong with them at all, we finally recieved our drinks after our starter was taken. the manager then came over speaking italian too us and looking for an answer when we didnt have a clue what he was saying so he just walked off leaving us feeling very uncomfortable. our mains were two pizzas pasta and veal, the veal was very very tough and over cooked and was basically unedible so two of us ended up sharing a pizza but when they cleared our plates we were not asked if everything was okay and it was clear the veal had hardly been touched, as we were sitting and the table was clear we could see the manager talking to the chef in italian and pointing and looking at our table, overall it was a very uncomfortable night and a long night for two dishes (7pm-9.50pm), and we do not recommend this place to anyone.

1  Thank Ellie M
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I have been here approximately six times over the last couple of years, once as a mixed group three times as a couple, and several times as an all girl group. I felt it was time I gave a review. The food has been good on one occasion, but less than average for the rest. On my most recent visit the pasta was totally undercooked and the sauce for my prawn starter tasted of flour and was grainy. However, the overriding issue on every occasion is the attitude of the manager. We were charged too much for something and my husband POLITELY questioned the bill. We were met with a hostile response.we just paid the extra as he wouldn't accept it was incorrect. He'd then started talking to his waiter in Italian and as we left we could see a reflection of him gesturing to us behind our backs. its a shame, both of us want to support local business but won't be going back. we didn't even mention the undercooked pasta and bad starter, so I hate to think what the reaction would have been then!

1  Thank discol
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We were searching the area (as visitors) for somewhere that looked a bit special. I read the reviews of this place so decided to try and find it. If you are not familiar with the area its a bit tricky to find but their website is helpful. It is worth it though, as we had a reall excellent meal. The manager and staff were extremely friendly and the food was faultless. If i was in that area again, I would love to go back. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Peach040
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Visited VIVO after hearing some good things about the restuarant.....BIG MISTAKE!
The food was bland and tasteless - i'd go so far as to say that my partners Raviolli looked suspisciously like it had come straight from the Heinz factory and I'd swear the mushroom sauce on my dish was Campbell's condensed soup!
The Manager, who greeted and seated us was arrogance personified! His brusque and surly manner did nothing to welcome us and he gained even less favour when he ridiculed me when i posed a perfectly resonable question.
The evening was so bad we arrived for our table at 7pm and had a 2 course meal complete with a drink and were out by 7.40! This could have something to do with the fact we were subjected to almost every 5 minutes being questioned by seemingly any passing employee with "Did we want to order more food?!; "Did we want to order more drinks?"
Avoid this restuarant at all costs - we won't return there, ever!

4  Thank WideEyedLover