“Lovely”

The Old Forge
Ranked #8 of 207 Restaurants in Kettering
Cuisines: British, Soups, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Old Forge Tea Room serves breakfast , lunch, cream teas and homemade cakes. Indoor seating for 30. Outdoor seating for 30.6 Days a week (plus sundays mid may to mid oct)
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Been here twice in two weeks both times a lovely cream tea.....mmm.
The rest of the menu beckons. ..
Nice quiet setting and nice friendly service.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank John B
TheOldForge, Owner at The Old Forge, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear John B,

Thanks for your positive review for us, sorry it took so long to acknowledge it!

Rushden, United Kingdom
“In the country.”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Tucked away in the village of Cranford, The Old Forge Tearoom, only had Teas & teacakes, but the food to others looked o.k. Usual varied Menu,all cooked fresh,lovely cakes in cabinet. Happy staff,quite efficient,an prompt service. ( I was advised by freind not to get there at opening time as it seems to take time to get into gear, so i did not ) Felt guilty about dumping my car around the village green,suppose thats what you do !.. Only a couple of minor points, not offered any jams with t/cake, and is it warm enough to visit in the Winter. Other than that, we will be going again,coz we enjoyed it !!! .....

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank starla100
TheOldForge, Owner at The Old Forge, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Thank you for your 5 star review. Hopefully that occasion your friend said we were not 'in gear' from opening time was a one off as I would say we are 99.9% ready to go before every opening time, especially as we have many 'early birds' (please see theoldforgecranford.com for the early bird special offer!). Thanks again and hope to see you soon...with jam for your teacake next time (its now on the menu)
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Lovely cycle friendly cafe”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The Old Forge was the cake stop on a club ride, 7 cyclists all in silly clothes looking for cake.

The coffee shop is small but doe shave tables outside for a sunny day. There is plenty of space to leave bikes and as this is a quiet village and the bikes can be within view it is great for cyclists.

The welcome was warm and friendly, although they were a little busy. Most of us had tea/coffee and cake but 2 of our number had a small fry-up.

The service was friendly, the tea and coffee were good and all served with a little homemade shortbread that was heavenly. The cakes were all homemade with a nice selection. The fry-ups looked great and the plates were cleaned.

As a place for tea/coffee and cake this is lovely. I haven't tried the lunches there but the overall approach to everything makes me think they would be good.

I suspect where it is really busy they may be a little overworked and the food may take a while, the kitchen isn't large. But the point in going to places like this is not to be in a rush.

Its also nice to find a cycle friendly cafe.

7 teas/coffees, 5 cakes and 2 fry-ups and it came to £34 so value is exceptional.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Simon K
Thank you very much Simon K for your detailed and glowing review. I couldn't (and wouldn't as that would be cheating ) have put it better myself. We look forward to welcoming back your cycling group with the silly, but essential clothes, soon.
“Service,smiles, efficiency & great food”
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

We are so fortunate to have the Old Forge on our door step. It is an oasis for quality food, great service, lovely surroundings and in these days one appreciates these elements even more. We cannot praise this small business highly enough. From breakfast, lunch or afternoon tea and believe me we have tried them all I have nothing but positive comments. My job takes me all over the world from Fairmont hotels to Hilton and they can all learn lessons from the old forge. Try the ploughman's lunch, the sandwiches, the cakes, the specials on the board it is all fantastic. I could write positive reviews on every trip to the Old Forge but that would alert everyone to such a great place but I guess now others are posting their positive comments I may as well join in now as the secret is out!. Try the rhubarb and strawberry pop, it is simply wonderful. Congratulations to everyone at the Old Forge and we will be back at the weekend.

Visited July 2013
First off I'm really sorry for the belated response to your review. This is because we are still basking in the praise from your wonderful review. Your kind words of praise are greatly appreciated. See you soon...well we probably already have!
Sevenoaks
“An excellent and good value lunch”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I was speaking at an event at Kelmarsh Hall and online searches revealed this part of Northamptonshire to be lacking in restaurants and pubs that sounded acceptable for lunch. But then I found the Old Forge and was very glad that I did. We had a first-class lunch in pleasant surroundings (the place is obviously popular with locals) and the price was a very favourable surprise compared to the expensive south-east. Well worth a visit and good service, too.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Linda P
I remember your visit (table 14 in the corner near the stairs) I had a feeling a review was coming our way and thankfully it was a very good one. I'm glad you were happy with everything. I hope you come by our way sometime soon.