“Afternoon Tea”

Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fawsley
Reviewed November 25, 2013

You let me down! After a few months of waiting and excitement, myself and My wife along with two dear friends visited Fawsley for afternoon tea to celebrate both of our wedding anniversaries. On being shown to our table we sat down and started to ponder at the menu laying on our plates. My wife's was immediately taken out of her hands by the waitress to be told 'I already know what you are having'. Good start! 20 minutes later our tea and coffee arrived, not too bad as we had a lot to talk about. Another 35mins passed before our food arrived, 1 savoury and 1 cake tray. As you can imagine at this time our drinks were all gone but not once did the staff ask if we would like more. Half way through the tea and feeling very 'dry' and no sign of any staff, we decided to go looking for one. We noticed earlier there had been 6 staff on call and wondered where they had all dissappeared to. Unfortunatley I could not find any and it was not until 15mins later when my wife and her friend acctually found one to ask for more drinks. On the trays of food there was a pitence of 'Afternoon Tea' 2 of each savoury and 2 of each sweet including 2 scones between the 4 of us. We were never offered any more tea or any more food. Considering there was about £10 worth of food and drink served between the 4 of us it was never worth over £80 it cost us unless it was all for the ambience and surroundings! May I suggest the management really ought to take their staff to 'The Ritz' in London to see how afternoon tea is really done, you would learn a lot. Don't get me wrong the food was of a good standard but service and portions really let you down. Would not recommend it, not value for money! Very dissapointed!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank Marmite54
MarkClayton, General Manager at Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Thank you for your feedback and we are so sorry that your celebratory tea at Fawsley Hall did not reach your expectations.

It is clear that we failed with regard to attentive service and top ups of tea, and your points have been conveyed to our Food and Beverage Manager for her urgent attention. I have been unable to determine the date and time you visited us so that I may converse further with the specific members of the team involved, and would be happy to discuss this with you should you wish to contact me either by telephoning 01327 892000 or via email mclayton@handpicked.co.uk

Our afternoon and savoury teas are priced up ‘per person’ and your comments above suggest that you may have ordered two afternoon teas (ie. providing two large scones, one per person) and two savoury teas.

Mark Clayton

Write a ReviewReviews (1,307)

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Classic British hotel, very expensive, very pompous but not really that good and certainly poor value for money. Do not know why but in England we seem to think that a mediocre hotel deserves a ridiculous premium. I often think the owners ought to visit a hotel in the Far East and see how it is really done. Good if you know no better but for the well travelled it is decidedly disappointing.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

We were so sorry to learn of your comments following your stay at Fawsley Hall, and that you felt us to be “pompous” and “poor value”.

Hand Picked Hotels purchased Fawsley Hall in the late summer, and we pride ourselves on offering a quality four star product. I do take a very keen interest in all feedback and would be pleased to discuss this further with you. Should you wish to contact me, kindly telephone 01327-892000 or email me at mclayton@handpicked.co.uk

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We took our French friends here for Sunday lunch. We knew they would admire the setting in any weather but we were fortunate enough to have a sunny autumn day. The set lunch was good value considering the setting and the service. I don't like mustard so shouldn't have ordered the prawn cocktail as a starter, but then I wasn't expecting that as an ingredient! Apart from this all the food was beautiful. We all had the traditional roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. Everyone said they were too full to have dessert and then had it! The total bill for 4 with a good bottle of wine and tip was £156.

We sat in the main hall afterwards enjoying the huge log fire and resolved to come back soon.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Your kind comments are very much appreciated and we were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent Sunday lunch with your guests.

I have discussed your feedback regarding your prawn cocktail with our Head Chef, and he advises that our marie rose sauce is made with classic ingredients including Worcester sauce, the heat of which may have been confused with mustard since there is none incorporated in this dish.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed for one night and thought the hotel was faultless. From checking in to departing the staff were attentive. We were shown to our room by a porter who carried our bag. The room was very spacious and one of the best we have stayed in. The bathroom was amazingly spacious and well layed out. We stayed in the same building as the Spa which was idea. The Spa was excellent and the outdoor hot tub a lovely touch. Although we couldn't have treatments because they were fully booked which was a shame.

We had dinner in Bess's restaurant. It was expensive but worth it. Breakfast was also really good.

We would return here as we loved our stay and the grounds were beautiful. I very romatic escape!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

We were so pleased to read your comments following your recent stay. Our spa bedrooms provide easy access to the facilities, and many guests enjoy the fact that they can put their robe on and simply pop downstairs for a swim or some relaxation in the outdoor hydro-pool. We offer six treatment rooms and during busy periods, particularly at weekends, these do become booked up therefore we always recommend making an appointment in advance of arrival to avoid disappointment.

We look forward to welcoming you again on a future occasion!

Reviewed November 15, 2013

The tall, neatly trimmed hedges and sweeping drive provide an impressive entrance to this hotel, originally a manor house dating back to the 7th century, although the fabric of the current building is mainly Tudor with, of course, some later additions. Queen Elizabeth l stayed here in 1575, and the premium room in the hotel is named after that occasion. The room is truly magnificent with mullioned windows, a large stone fireplace and a view across Capability Brown’s landscaped grounds. There is a four poster bed, separate lounge and other lavish features.

We were staying in a much cheaper Club Room, but I was surprised at its generous size and that we too had a lovely view from our window that included the lakes and grazing sheep. Our TV had not been upgraded to a modern flat screen as in other rooms and I was a bit disappointed to find that a throw draped over one arm of the sofa concealed torn and tattered fabric, but hey, at least we had a sofa, and three chairs too. The furniture is a mix of period pieces and in the corridor the floor boards creak but these are part of the building’s unique character. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom very clean and modern.

One of the striking areas in this large rambling hotel is the main hall. With its lofty ceiling, portraits of historic figures and large comfy sofas, it is both an interesting and pleasant place to relax. There is also a bar and Bess’s Brassiere where breakfast, lunch and evening meals are served. The food is a good standard but I did not enjoy the under-cooked courgette and celery I was served as a side dish – I could not get my knife through either. The risotto I ordered the following evening was tasty.

The hotel has a cinema, which is actually a room with a DVD player, with the image projected on to a screen. Films are shown from Friday to Sunday at 9.30 pm and available to those who book a meal. We were the only two people in there during our visit and the room was really chilly, despite a portable heater, but we enjoyed the film.

I thoroughly enjoyed my morning in the Spa, swimming in the pool, which is only 1.10 meters depth throughout and great for less confident swimmers, using the sauna, and bathing in the outside hot tub despite the drizzling rain. Treatments should be booked in advance as none were available during my two day stay.

One of the most memorable aspects of our stay at Fawsley Hall is the attentive staff. From those welcoming visitors at reception, to waiters and administration personnel, everyone was extremely helpful, smiling and engaging. Any niggles during our stay receded in the wonderful atmosphere they combined to create.

It is worth the trudge across the field to the picturesque Church of St Mary, where more of the history of those who once lived in the Hall, and the village that once stood there, can be discovered.

Room Tip: Room 45 overlooks the grounds and lake at the back of the house. The 1575 room is the premium room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our beautiful property, and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Fawsley Hall has a fascinating history, dating back hundreds of years and the Great Hall certainly has the ‘WOW’ factor!

I have noted the issues you relate to regarding your courgette and celery side order, and conveyed these to our Head Chef. We are delighted you enjoyed your dinner on the second evening, and the wonderful facilities we offer within our spa and cinema – we have placed some extra heating in the cinema since reading your feedback.

Thank you again for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed at Fawsley Hall for 3 fantastic nights. Our stay was luxurious and romantic and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there.
The hotel is in really tranquil picturesque grounds that we enjoyed walking around. The great hall was gorgeous and a really romantic setting especially in the evening when lit by candlelight.
The room was comfortable and clean, although thank goodness for the air conditioning as it did get very hot in our room.
The food we ate during out stay was excellent every time, there was a great quality selection for breakfast, would recommend the eggs Benedict or the haddock. The brasserie was a lovely setting and our meals were equally lovely. We had a wonderful evening dining in Equilibrium which was absolutely worth the visit, the food was presented beautifully and was absolutely delicious. The staff were professional, attentive and friendly, must mention Chris and Sara who were especially pleasant and professional. We had afternoon tea in the great hall which was delightful, the scones were really delicious, I would recommend the savoury afternoon tea which was also especially good.
The spa which is located in a separate building is free for residents to use, the facilities were nice and left us feeling especially relaxed. The outdoor hydro pool was fab.
Would absolutely recommend Fawsley Hall! We will definitely be returning.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your positive feedback, and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay. Chris and Sara have worked at Fawsley Hall for several years and I know will be delighted to receive your kind words.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I feel a little churlish awarding only 4 stars but after all this is not the Ritz. I have stayed at FH twice for conferences and we have thoroughly enjoyed the food, atmosphere and setting. The buildings are steeped in history and the layout is very interesting. Bedrooms are very well furnished and spacious and many have fine views. I would very happily sweep my wife away here for a short break (if the price was right). I can see only the most precious of guests being disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback following your stay several months ago and we were pleased to note your comments. Since your visit in February, Hand Picked Hotels have taken ownership, and a refurbishment plan is scheduled within the coming months which will include television upgrades for the few remaining older style models, and enhanced furnishings within our bedrooms.

We are very fortunate to be situated in such stunning countryside within the Fawsley Estate, which was designed by Capability Brown, and within which there are some great walks to be enjoyed not to mention the views!

I do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming both you and your wife to Fawsley Hall before too long.

Mark Clayton

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fawsley
Rushton Hall Hotel and Spa
Kettering Park Hotel and Spa
Barton Hall Hotel
Barton Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Barton Seagrave

Been to Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!