“Good sandwiches.”

Montage Cafe
Ranked #2 of 45 Restaurants in Greenville
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in for lunch after seeing the good reviews, despite someone suggesting we don't go there due to poor food quality. I now understand the variance of opinions.

The restaurant is nicely decorated, not at all what I was expecting. The staff was very friendly. The sandwiches we ordered were great - fresh, large, and made with quality ingredients. Love the garlic mayo! That's where the positive notes end.

There were a lot of deli salads to choose from (12 or 16, I think) but the two we tasted were not impressive. Dill macaroni salad was super sweet. Asian salad was too lightly dressed and had no Asian components, unless you count canned mandarin oranges and ramen noodles. A little sesame oil, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar would have done the trick. I also got a cup of creamy potato soup to try. I can't believe a place that's making so many menu items from scratch would use potato flakes and water as the base to this soup. They just dropped in some potato chunks, sprinkled on a few shreds of cheese, and served it up. It was weirdly translucent and very bland.

So, stop in for a sandwich, get a bag of chips, and enjoy. Skip soup and salads. Before you leave, shop around the little retail crafts displays and wine offerings.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Our tour group stopped here for lunch after taking the KitchenAid Factory tour. It is a great place to have lunch. Chicken Salad on croissant was delicious, but need a bit more chicken salad. The deli sandwich had lots of meat on it. Be sure and try their Broccoli and Apple salad; it is so delicious and unlike any salad I have ever had.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We and another couple had been driving Route 127 for the 600 mile yard sale. When we arrive our destination for the night, we always ask "where do the locals go for good food and a decent price". Most of the time, we find great food. Not so this time. This had to be the worst pastrami sandwich that I have ever had. When I took my first bite, I couldn't even bite through it. Then I tried cutting it with the knife. I had a difficult time even cutting it. I opened up the sandwich to look at the meat. It must have been cut from the end of the meat that was being used. It had tough edging on it as well as some grizzle type stuff in it. I ate what I could of it and then returned it to the server who had given it to me. I told her that normally I don't complain about food but that I was really disappointed in the quality of the sandwich. She asked if she could replace it, but I just wasn't hungry. I should have asked them to refund some or all of the cost.

On the bright side, the other 3 in the party said that their food was good. I might try this place again, but not sure.

1  Thank DaleSwansea_IL
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This would warrant a great review in any city, to find this is a small town is a real treat. Not the cheapest option in town but great value when you consider the freshness, flavor, portions and appearance.

Though the sandwiches are great, my favorite is the sampler plate, pick either 3 or 4 of different salads, some bread an ice tea. An excellent lunch.

I don't believe they are open for dinner so remember them at 12:00, not 7:00.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Unexpected in small town USA, but good food and atmosphere make me recommend going.

The salads were unique using good ingredients, and their stuff is homemade. The salads were a bit overdressed for my taste, but were delicious flavors.