“Excellent meal” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Windmill at Badby

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Badby
The Windmill at Badby
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Badby
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I have just spent a lovely lunch and afternoon celebrating good friends ruby anniversary. Food and service excellent. I had roast lamb, which was delicious. We were in function room and I would definitely recommend this for a celebration!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank lin_harris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Daventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

After a recent visit to check out the inn,we booked a table for six to celebrate getting married. What can i say, a perfect choice! Our hosts went out of their way to make it a wonderful occasion,the service was excellent and the food was of a very high standard, a very enjoyable evening was had by all. We will return,well deserving of our rating, 10 out of 10!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank istom
Corby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

I have stayed at The Windmill for 3 nights over two different weekends while on a course locally. Each time I stayed the staff could not have done more for me. Everyone I spoke to was very happy and friendly and made sure my stay was pleasant. The food is lovely, excellent cooked breakfast, there were other options available if I wanted, like fruit or cereal, but glad I went for the full English! Highly recommend The Windmill Pate. Room was nice and comfortable and more importantly very very clean. Lovely place to stay if your in the area!

• Stayed April 2014
      Rooms
1 Thank PaulSimo
Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

We had a wonderful stay here, and especially enjoyed the food. It's extremely good, well-presented and appetising food, at pub prices. In terms of value for money, it's hard to beat their meals. Brilliant desserts...salted caramel chocolate torte with vanilla ice cream, lemon meringue ice cream cake...
The room (the Fawsley) was small, but clean and comfortable, and breakfast was excellent. Our room neighbours were a bit noisy in the early hours, but that's no fault of the hotel, and we'd happily return. We found the staff to be pleasant, and they told us about the door being locked if we were going out late.
Badby is a pretty little village, and this is a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Iris033
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

Truely the rudest and most arrogant staff I've ever had the unfortunate 'pleasure' to deal with. They are all sweetness and light until you voice a valid complaint then their true colours show. Rude and aggressive, stomping around, shouting, pulling faces, talking over me and generally behaving like spoilt children. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels all over the world and I have never been treated or spoken to the way the staff at this over-rated uncomfortable bed/ and breakfast (without a smile) establishment think they have the right to. If you go, beware! do not complain about a thing as it will be all your fault - because it can't possibly be theirs! I have no doubt that the owner will respond to this review, the question is will it be sweetness and light or a true reflection of his attitude and the attitude his staff seem to have towards anyone who doesn't share their belief that they are faultless?

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Melanie R
Windmillinn, Owner at The Windmill at Badby, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
I knew that their would be a follow up review to this overblown situation.
Your cost for the experience was a total of £14 between you. To a taxi firm.
My cost was considerably more - room, breakfast, linen, drink and now 2 quiet transparent reviews and I gather it was your boyfriend not Kirsty's that I had the problem of enduring an afternoon of abuse from.
Would I change and pay you £20 - still no. The offer of lunch was a more than acceptable offer. Even my extra offer to your boyfriend of a free meal for 4 was thrown back in my face.

Thank you for your review.....
Milton keynes
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

When we arrived and checked in, although our notes advised that we were attending a school reunion which I saw as I signed in and had chatted about when I had made the booking, and this was obviously not taking place at the Windmill, the member of staff did not advise us about the door being locked regularly after midnight. Apparently there is a sign on the back of the door that leads out of the bedroom area that says "please ask for the code". There is also a small note tucked away in a folder in the room as well. But let's face it, if you are attending an event with a friend chances are there is lots of talking and socialist taking place and your focus may not be on the getting back part but the getting out part. If you do not read these notes before you leave the bedroom area, the responsibility for being locked out of the property when you return is your fault apparently, and yet the staff working know that the door is locked every day and the way you get back in, as a client, you don't!

They offer an emergency number, but if the night shift staff member goes to bed without the phone (clearly something that is not your fault!) there is nothing you can do to gain entry.

My friend and I were locked out and therefore needed to get to warmth until the staff member woke up or the morning shift arrived. After 15 calls to the emergency number I am surprised that the staff member didn't wake up, which then makes me wonder if he was even there at all! So we called a taxi. Apologies to the other guests if we woke you while trying the emergency number.

So after another taxi journey to another hotel to get warmth and back again in the morning (which both taxi drivers were shocked at us being locked out and the lack of service on not offering the code information or even another way of entry) to collect our belongings we were offered no charge for the room (which was nice, but then I wouldn't expect to be charged for a bed I couldn't sleep in rather than had decided not to sleep in) and a free lunch. My friend and I have small children (under 5) so decided to decline the lunch, but suggested our taxi fare be paid for instead, which the morning staff member agreed. When we checked out we were advised that the Manager would only offer us lunch and not pay our taxi fare instead, £20 same cost as lunch if not less, that had been pre agreed and then we were treated with some extremely rude service that made me ask to speak with the Manager/Owner. Even when I spoke to him via the telephone to discuss the unexpected change in agreement, I had to ask him to bring himself back to the level of a discussion as I was being very calm with him considering the situation.
One thing I was quite shocked about as a response from the Owner was that they did not advise clients of the door locking situation as they felt that by asking the client if they would be leaving the premises through the evening this would be considered and interrogation?!?!?!?!?!?
So:
"Will you be leaving the premises tonight? Yes, why? We lock the door after midnight, so you will need the door code to get back in. Great, what is that please?" Ohhhhh I feel very violated in being asked such a personal question! This is a Manager/Owner that as a staff member you would want to support you, but in the service industry, when you screw up, you screw up!

So just to say, if you decide to stay here, please make sure that you ask for the code as the emergency number may not be answered as the night staff may forget to take the phone with them to their room. Which incidentally will be the room that was not booked that night so is changeable. Not a good business plan if they never manage to book every room. But then where does the night person sleep if they do book every room?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Leads me back to the night shift person not being on site at all, so a useless emergency number too!

Let's hope something is learnt from this event about customer service, the degree of questioning that would not be considered interrogation and standing by your staff even if they make an agreement that as a Manager/Owner that you don't, stand by it and learn for next time.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kristy C
Windmillinn, Owner at The Windmill at Badby, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
I, as you probably realise, always respond to negative comments, in fact comments of 3 stars or less as saying thank you for you nice comments is really unnecessary and I tend to repeat myself. The last time I responded was 9th august 2013 for a 3 star review about gammon on the menu.

Anyway. Every story has two sides and this one certainly has. If we are wrong I say we were wrong and apologise. On this occasion we were wrong but not entirely, and from reading this review the customer appears to be nice and very friendly. But unfortunately was not and several of my staff received sarcastic and angry responses.

I suppose there are three points here:
1. Was the door locked - Yes for security as we don't want everyone coming and going during the small hours. The code needs to be requested as we shouldn't be asking people of their movements as this is an invasion of their privacy. As you come down the stairs from the bedrooms the sign is large and in front of you as you push open the door. Also, as stated, in the welcome pack that the guests clearly had read. I believe the emphasis in this point was their responsibility to have asked a member of staff.

2. Was it agreed to pay the taxi - No, immediately on being asked this I was contacted by my staff. I decided it wasn't my responsibility that the guest had not asked for the code and in principle refused as where does it all end with people not being responsible for their own actions. Nowadays it's always someone else's fault. Where theirs a claim mentality!
I'm sorry i may be a bit old, in fact some would say ancient, and long in the tooth but I strongly felt this point and informed the customer that I would not be responsible for their inaction. I would pay for their room and breakfast. I would even buy them lunch - which yes would/could have cost me more. I even didn't charge them for the drinks they had the night before - about £6.
As Basil Fawlty would have done - should I have taken my shirt off my back and given them that as well - classic episode which you have to watch.
No, I said no to this request.

3. Abusive staff. As far as I'm aware the level of abuse amounted to the notice on the door being pointed out. Maybe a little heated in the circumstance but not 100% sure as tensions were high. Why should staff stand, take and accept abuse. The first phone call we received when the kitchen came on at 7 was sarcastic and angry. Plus there was staff on the premises we have a little room that accommodates this mainly for the fire risk. We're only a small place and do not
have to have 24 hour staff, but we choose to have someone sleeping over.

I stand by my actions, 100% and believe that I was more than fair in this episode. What also wasn't mentioned was the customers boyfriend who phoned my other establishment and threatened me and made it clear that I should pay or else. I even offered him to return and i would pay for him and his girlfriend to have dinner. His response was that I would poison him, which was the final straw for me and I told him not to bother as if he couldn't accept a gesture of good will then enough was enough.
I then received an afternoon of phone calls from him tying up my telephone line for about 3 hours, until he forgot to block his number and I was then able to call him back and suddenly the calls stopped.
The whole incident immediately gets another perspective. I might be stubborn and even antiquated but sometimes you have to stand up, rightly or wrongly and be counted. My other option was to ask tripadvisor to remove this article but that's wrong also. You should be allowed to have an opinion. Phew.....think I need a beer
Ringstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

We were very pleased to find The Windmill open for coffee at just after 10.00 am on a Sunday before we set off on a cycle ride. The staff were very friendly and gluten-free toast was available. We had had an excellent buffet lunch here about a year ago and had also been impressed by the interior décor. Everywhere was fresh and spotless. Badby is a beautiful village, with nearby bluebell woods, good walks and quiet lanes for cycle rides. It is one of the best villages of south Northamptonshire. Naturally when we returned in the afternoon we headed to The Windmill for a refreshing cup of tea.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank philip M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Badby
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel and Spa
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
De Vere Staverton Estate
Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel
Heart of England Hotel Weedon by Marston's Inns
Cross Roads Hotel Northampton

Been to The Windmill at Badby? Share your experiences!