“Food worth travelling for”

The Windmill at Badby
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Badby
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my wife are at the Windmill for the third time in three days! Every visit we have had a brilliant time, the food is amazing, but what really makes this place special is the amazing team that work here. Lead by Steve and Jacqui, Giorgo (Jim!), Jen, Charli along with the great chefs can't do enough for you, even arranging our accommodation as they were full. So impressed were we that we've already booked to come back. Excellent.

1  Thank Tony P

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

What a great place, the service is second to none, the food is excellent, as is the selection of beers and wines, and the staff are some of the nicest people we've met in a long time. Nothing was too much trouble. The menu, although looked expensive, when our food arrived it certainly wasn't pub grub, it even surpassed the gastro pub label, this was restaurant quality food, in a relaxed and friendly environment. We desperately wanted to stay but they were fully booked, but recommended a lovely b&b in the next village. So good was our experience that we've booked to come back in three weeks time!!! Thank you Steve, Jacqui, Jim-Bob, Charli, Jen, and the marvelous chefs, anyone reading this, don't drive past you have to visit The Windmill.

1  Thank debbie p
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My daughter and I stopped here when the British GP was held at Silverstone a few weeks back. From a purely selfish point of view I'd prefer that word about this place didn't get out because as far as the GP weekend is concerned it's perfect in every way, being an easy half hour drive across country roads to the racetrack. It's small, cosy and intimate, with exceptionally well maintained, clean rooms and a lovely bar and restaurant serving a great menu at reasonable prices. Like any place though it's only really as good as the staff that run it- and the staff here are five star in every way. All being well, we'll be back next year.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Stubbins
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Nice small hotel, better than the premier Inn around the area, freindly staff, a nice bar and restaurant and the rooms are well maintained and clean. A good choice if you are in the Daventry area on business or pasing throught the midlands, i would definately stay there again.

Room Tip: There are only about 8 rooms so it does not really matter as there is no noise from a road as it is...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 2-ERLS
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

What has happened to the pub/restaurant/hotel that used to be?
It seems a change of ownership and a refurbishment of the public areas has ripped the soul out of this one time destination venue.
I used to head off to the windmill with anticipation, thinking of the imaginative menus that were created by the team. But now it may as well be a pub belonging to one of the nameless chains. When gammon and eggs appear on the specials menu you know that you are scratching the bottom of the barrel.
What we ate was not bad but it certainly was not what this once thriving business used to serve.
Will we return ?
No. It's certainly not worth a half hours journey.

• Stayed: August 2013
Windmillinn, Owner at The Windmill at Badby, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

I have no idea of when you last came to us but I took over the windmill nearly 3 years ago, and with that, the kitchen staff hasn't changed with only one chef being replaced. I must however agree with you with regards to why gammon was on the specials board. I always look at reviews as honest feedback and your comments have only reiterated a discussion I have had with my general manager 2 weeks ago. Sometimes complacency sets in and we are always reviewing what we do and how we can improve. The menu, the service the decor all need looking at. We need to take the current menu and overhaul the food and the specials. I hope you will drive that half an hour and give us a second chance. Gammon was actually ordered for a function and it is not part of our main bar menu hence why it's on the specials. (I am just having a chat with my chef as I am typing this response).

Steve Weeks

Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband and I ate here earlier in the year food was so nice that we wanted to eat here for our anniversary. We booked to stay on Aug 4th and had a great time , acc lovely and food was again excellent. All staff helpful and friendly and will def be back Thank you

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank karenandkids
Reviewed August 4, 2013

18 of us went to The Windmill on 01/08/2013 for supper ( and a few beers!) a pre wedding supper of friends and relatives before the wedding at Fawsley Hall the next day. We were made very welcome very well looked after.The food , beer and atmosphere was spot on .. The Landlady did a fantastic job in making sure all 18 of us ate ate the same time . A great pub, and if we lived close by we would be regulars.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bren S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Badby
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
De Vere Staverton Estate
Mercure Daventry Court Hotel
Hellidon Lakes Golf & Spa Hotel
Cross Roads Hotel Northampton
Heart of England Hotel Weedon by Marston's Inns

Been to The Windmill at Badby? Share your experiences!