“Great welcome at the village pub.”
Review of The Maltsters

The Maltsters
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Badby
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Uniquely traditional. A recently refurbished and reopened village pub with fresh food, cocktails and cask ales. No screens and no machines in the main bar, but board games and darts available. Family friendly too. Large garden, smaller courtyard, and a cinema function room. x
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We were staying nearby & stumbled on this delightful friendly country pub about 3 miles outside Daventry & were offered a good choice of Steaks or Curry together with all the other choices you would expect. We chose Chicken Curry & Gammon Steak,both of which were very satisfying.
The pub was run by a young couple who produced a menu for us on a clipboard. When it came to the bill,that was enclosed in an old hardback book. When the pub was taken over by them they found a room full of old hardback books going back to the early 1900`s & display some of these around the restaurant area. They are not quite sure what to do with them all,but it is certainly a conversation stopper.They encourage you to take one or two away with you,if you wish.
We wish them well & would love to return again.

1  Thank Hughj191

Reviewed July 26, 2014

Chose here over a couple of other favoured locals which I regret as I was dissapointed by the limited & uninspired menu and ultimately the dish I chose from the Specials board. The last time I visited this traditional village pub it had recently been taken over by someone who had previously been successful in their other ventures and I was not dissapointed. However, this time seemed to be a stark contrast,so I am not sure if it has been taken over again. I selected the Strogonoff from the specials board partly because nothing else was particularly inviting and the rest was very much stay safe pub grub. My husband chose the Buffalo burger. The strogonaff was pretty bland and certainly didn't contain strips of fillet steak as I expected but chunks of a much tougher steak fairly sure the chef couldn't have tasted or seasoned the sauce, the token gesture of a garnish contained tired and certainly not fresh tomatoes. However, overall it was edible but nothing special. My husband's burger was much better and the hand cut chips were lovely but again the salad was far from fresh and not very palatable. I wont be returning and wouldn't recommend.

2  Thank Joanna F
Reviewed July 16, 2014

My husband and I popped in for lunch en route somewhere else. I wish we had kept on driving. The barman was friendly but we were the only people in there except for one other couple, never a good sign. I chose Brixworth Pate which was unavailable so had a mushroom starter (OK-ish) and fish pie. This was a shocker. It was literally inedible. The fish was cooked to destruction, the mash was lumpy and dry and even the peas were overcooked. The chips that came with it were practically dribbling with fat as well as overcooked and they, too, were inedible. I left nearly all my meal, and I was hungry! My husband had ribs - he ate them (he's a man), but he wasn't happy. I would have complained at the time but we just wanted to get out of there and, if the "chef" can't see it for himself, what is the point? However, having just left a rave review for somewhere else on TripAdvisor I saw The Maltsters on your website and thought, you'd got to do this for humanity. Sort yourself out, Maltsters - you need a new chef.

5  Thank Sue S
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Popped in for a quick bite to eat and a few drinks. The chips were greasy and tasted like the oil needed changing, the rest of the meal was not great either.

Popped to use the gents and found that after washing my hands there was no way to dry them (no machine, no towels etc).

The place just seems to be lacking in so many areas.

5  Thank barry b
Reviewed July 14, 2014

The place just seems to be lacking in so many areas.