“Avoid this place like the plague!”
Review of The Star Inn

The Star Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Weaverthorpe B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The room was dirty,poo on the shower room door frame and bedroom wall,the landlady said it wasn't poo and she would rub her hand on it and sniff it,which she proceeded to do,didn't wash her hands either.Dead flies and moths in the light shades,she said it was harvest time!Stains on the top cover of the bed which looked like blood,she said it was coffee.Scratching noises at 4 in the morning so put the light on,she said it was impossible there were mice,as pest control visit every 3 months.Couldn't swing a cat in the room,no room for chair,had to watch tiny TV laying on the bed and this was the deluxe room.Nearly fell off the toilet as the seat was loose,corner of shower cubicle broken.Carpets in public area filthy black footprints,human and canine on beige carpet,filthy muddly dog footprints all over one entrance door.Food OK.Couldn't stand more than 1 night even though we had booked 3,landlady insisted on cancelation fee,she charged half for the night we did stay a total of £103,we only wantd to pay the £69 for the night we did stay but she threatened us with the police,she was ranting and obnoxious said we were trying it on so gave in and left.Went to the Ransdale in Bridlington instead which was great about 3x bigger room and clean,thanks Tim for saving our short break

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank christine w
ali m, Owner at The Star Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

This customer had made numerous false allegations in this review I will go through each one in detail and provide photographic evidence to back up my innocence to the claims made.

Firstly the customer checked into the room on the Thursday night, was shown to the room in person and was asked twice that evening if everything was ok to which we were told that everything was fine.

The room was cleaned that morning by myself and then again checked my my husband before the people checked in. As you can see from previous reviews I have very exacting standards and take pride in the cleanliness of my establishment to which we have been awarded a 5* hygiene certificate and previous guests on trip advisor have
called the premises " spotless" in three separate reviews.

The mark on the wall only came to light in the morning when the guests wanted to leave. It was never mentioned the night before, therefore could have easily appeared over night whilst the guests were staying in the room by them. This mark was a scuff mark as you can see from the photo provided and certainly NOT feacies as reported by the reviewer.

There was 1 money spider in the room and 3 tiny flies in the lamp shade, I personally Hoover all the light fittings everyday however as I explained to the reviewer it is harvest season and we are in prime arrible farming country here and over night there may well have been a couple of flies and a money spider appear over night as they are attracted to the lights at night. Hence why I have to Hoover so regularly.

The "blood stain" which is talked about in the review was half the size of a 5 pence piece and was on the trow that goes on top of the bed. It was not a red colour at all but a coffee colour and the reviewers had enjoyed 2 cups of coffee on the room over night so could have easily drop a tiny drop onto the throw by accident. The mark ( which can be seen in the photos) was indeed so small that the lady couldn't even find it until she held the throw up to the light when I went to check the complaints she had.

The toilet seat was A little loose in the morning
and did indead need tightening up but this can happen easily, especially when when there are people of a larger build staying in the room.

I offered to change the peoples room for another one which they point blank refused and said they just wanted to leave. It was ironic that a couple of members of staff overheard them talking to each other the night before about how they wished that they were closer to Bridlington ( we are 11 miles away). Nothing I offered the customers to try and appease the situation was good enough as they were adiment they wanted to leave then and there. I would have normally charged them for the that also as they were checking out without any notice and I had turned down other booking as I was full that night but as a good will guesture u said they would only have to pay half. The lady got quite angry and aggressive to which I told her that if she didn't pay the amount owing I would have to call the police. It was at this point that the lady then started talking about about scratching noises in the night, she then progressed to warn me that if I didn't reduce the price that she would leave a bad review on trip advisor, to me this is bullying and aggressive behaviour and again said I would call the police if she didn't pay what she owed.

Both my husband and I have worked extremely hard over the past 18 months to try and build up our business and therefore I only hope that you will see all the fantastic reviews we have had from all of our other customers and disregard this unfair and untrue reflection of our business.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Excellent stay thanks to the very friendly hosts and staff. The room we had was lovely, very clean and a very comfortable bed. The food is very good all fresh made and from local producers. Thank you very much for a wonderful stay, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed on the 24th aug great food good company room very clean made to feel very welcome by will and ali would stay again.nice and peacfull location big yorkshire breakfast the morning after great start to the day all in all very good place to stay.TKavanagh

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night. Nice country pub with nice owners and the room was good. Evening meal was nice - great chips! Only disappointment was breakfast. We were leaving at 8am before breakfast started so were told that they would set us up a continental breakfast so we could help ourselves, which we understood. In the morning we had cereal with bread and jam - not even a toaster to toast the bread! Left feeling very hungry and disappointed! Nice place to stay if you have time to stay for a fry up.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed two nights last week at the Star. We'd booked via Late Rooms. We had an en-suite room which was spotless, as was most of the rest of the pub. The food was fine, staff very friendly (unlike the other village pub, the Blue Bell!) and locals seemed cheery enough. Beware tall people, as there a few places you might bump your head and there are steps everywhere. Emergency Exit signage need improving throughout, but would go back willingly. Beer great too!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have time over the past year been able to make a good honest assessment of the Star Inn. I call in most weeks and have sampled a whole range of foods all of which have been cooked and served well with the homemade pizza standing out as some of the best outside Italy! The owners are always welcoming and have a range of theme nights, quizzes and live entertainment.

For me and those that like real ale then Will constantly rotates a number of Yorkshire beers with the Wold Top range standing out as a 'local' brew - all are always in excellent condition. They have good choice of house wine and bottled wines. I would recommend that you call in for a drink and a meal but do have a nominated driver because the refreshments easily get the better of you!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was a last minute trip with my teenage son for an overnight stay in the area. All that was required was dinner, a bed and breakfast. We got more than that, TV and drinks in the room, friendly staff, a late dinner (the stone baked, home made pizza was huge) and free WiFi t'boot. There was even a wine and cheese event and the pub was buzzing.

Both the owners took time to speak with us on the evening. We even had breakfast prepared for us an hour before the scheduled start time.

I had read a poor review on this hotel, it didn't put me off, as usual there is always the odd person that can't be satisfied and this appears to be the case. If I were vegan there would have been plenty of choice. Special diets are that, special and therefore need planning for. Let the chef know in advance and the food can be ordered for you.

There are reviews that say TLC is required. This may be the case but they have only just purchased the place and are in the process of updating. The restaurant is very nicely decorated The budget room we stayed in has some wallpaper that is "out of fashion" but there are plans to upgrade.

Room Tip: Call and ask the owners for any specific requirements, they seem only too helpful to ensure you enjo...