I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, the food is awesome, the rooms very well presented and the location lovely. On the other, the environment is sterile, which I should justify.
Despite it calling itself an inn, the whole of the ground floor is given over to the eating experience. Whilst there are 2 rooms for restaurant diners, all the tables in the bar were also laid for dinner. If you simply wanted a drink (perhaps before or after your meal), you had to claim one of the few bar stools. (Of course, if the weather was warm enough, you could sit outside and enjoy the stunning view over Swaledale in this charming tiny village). All the staff were efficient and the service perfectly adequate, but they operated in a very business-like fashion - as though they were working in a large chain hotel.
On the positive side, the room was very well presented with coffee/tea facilities, Molton & Brown toiletries, power shower, though curiously one very small inadequate chair to sit in - or not! The cooked breakfast was very good, though the cold selection a little lacking.
In conclusion, this is a superb restaurant but an expensive and rather sterile place to stay - which is a shame as with a few small changes, it could be magnificent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 17th-century inn, located in Low Row, Swaledale. Ideal base for walking and touring the northern dales. The coast to coast walk is on our doorstep. Re-opened in 2006, we offer 11 comfortable en-suite bedrooms. Stripped pine furnish the bar and restaurant. Our mirror menu changes daily reflecting the seasonal local produce from dales suppliers. A relaxed and informal environment in which to enjoy good food served along with local beers such as Black Sheep and Theakstons. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Otel and Booking.com so you can book your The Punch Bowl Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Punch Bowl Hotel Richmond
- The Punch Bowl Inn UK/Low Row, Yorkshire