“Warm fire, warm welcome, warm and cosy room”

The Cleveland Tontine
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Staddlebridge
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Warm fire, warm welcome, warm and cosy room”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

For may years we have passed the hotel and many times talked about staying on our way to the North. And having read much about the famous McCoys and their eccentric tastes and cooking we really wanted to visit. We have only recently taken the opportunity and of course the McCoys have gone but the flavour of the place remains. The entrance is grand and the reception welcoming. Our room was Coach House spread of two floors but very impressive. Dinner was in the restaurant which has a great atmosphere and refurbished in a way that is in keeping with the establishment. The meal was very good and the service excellent - a pleasant evening. The A19 is busy and I was aware of it some times during the night as at home I can hear nothing therefore perhaps it was a bit of a noisy shock. Nonetheless the breakfast was excellent served in what is almost someone's cosy breakfast room. If the opportunity arose I would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael O
Cleveland T, Manager at The Cleveland Tontine, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we really appreciate getting feedback from our customers. I am delighted you enjoyed your meal and felt that our refurbishment had been a success. Please come back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
leeds,west yorkshire
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Years ago used to pass this twice a day when I worked in Peterlee and travelled from Leeds, but never called.

Glad I discovered the refurbished Tontine and stayed for the second night of my wife's birthday. Having stayed in many hostelries around The Dales and The Lakes The Tontine is way above average. Good 'old fashioned service.' Very relaxed atmosphere. Well presented and executed food. The Tontine room is excellent.

Will not go on and on, simply to say " Try it, " you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Tontine Room - not inexpensive but worth it.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 49michael
Thank you so much for leaving a review. I am delighted that you finally stopped to try us and that you enjoyed your meal. Come back soon!
Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Had a great time here for to celebrate my Dad's 60th birthday. I loved the decor in both the public rooms and in our bedrooms. Excellent service, very comfortable bed, great cocktails, delicious wine and food. No bad points - I'm already looking for an excuse to return.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank millsonhols
Cleveland T, Manager at The Cleveland Tontine, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am delighted that you had a great celebration with us. Keep an eye on our website for details of some of the great events we have coming up. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Having lived in the area all my life have visited the Tontine quite a few times over the years but recently was the first time since the refurbishment. From the outside I was very impressed and loved the new entrance and the interior decor in the public rooms. Unfortunately the dining experience overall was not as I anticipated - not a disaster but generally a few little things but taking into account the high prices of the food it should have been better. For example after having been shown into a room for pre-dinner drinks there was no one at the bar to serve the drinks so after waiting about 10 minutes went to find someone. There was a good choice on the menu but some dishes are way over priced (in particular the dover sole and fillet steak). The food itself was nice but not spectacular and overall a bit slow. Portions not massive which was fine for me but a larger appetite may not agree. Staff were very pleasant but maybe a bit too busy to do the service I would have expected - e.g. always having to ask for more water for the table. Also not particularly impressed with the cutlery. However, the special menu during the week seemed to be good value.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Majicou
Cleveland T, Manager at The Cleveland Tontine, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am so disappointed that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations, particularly as we have enjoyed such great feedback recently.

With regards to the cost of some of the dishes on the menu, we use the best, locally sourced ingredients available. Dover Sole is a specialist dish for which we charge market price while our Yorkshire beef is hung for 30 days and therefore demands a premium.

I will pass on your comments regarding the bar service and I am sorry that you had a long wait but I can assure you that this is not the norm; our standards of service are something we pride ourselves on.

On a positive note, I am delighted that you approved of our refurbishment, especially as someone familiar with the Tontine of old!

We are launching our Summer menu at the end of June so I do hope you will come back and give us the chance to do better next time.
stockton on tees
Reviewed May 11, 2014

myself and my husband have just had a meal in the restaurant for the first time, after reading reviews,. It was my husbands 65th Birthday and wanted to capture the old intimate ambience of what restaurants use to be like when we were young, and oh boy this was the place. The food was excellent, staff amazing etiquette and welcoming ambience, simply amazing. The Tontine is definitely not a place to miss. A meal for two, then you can capture of all the ambience of past tastes, quality, ambience and what pubs do not have today. There get a top five star rating, beautiful, just a dream of ambience, and planning an overnight stay because we were so impressed at the class, restaurant, the whole place was lovely so inviting, thank you to all at the tontine, compliments to the chef, simply amazing, we were soooo impressed. If we win the lottery this would be the place I would buy to savour the ambience they have truly captured, and hope they can continue to keep it alive in a fast changing fast hotel and food market. Excenllent

Room Tip: we have not stayed here, but so impressed we have decided we will have an overnight stay, it was sim...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsHungry
Cleveland T, Manager at The Cleveland Tontine, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. I am so pleased that you had such a great evening with us and that you are planning to come back for an overnight stay - you won't be disappointed! As for winning the lottery, everyone has to dream!
Harrogate, North Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We have just returned from a lovely overnight stay at the Cleveland Tontine and couldn't fault it. The team were especially friendly and attentive. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to the Gertrude Bell suite which was stunning and spacious. We immediately settled down in the lounge for Champagne and Oysters and nothing was too much trouble as we rearranged the furniture a little to get ourselves comfortable for the afternoon! Dinner was superb and we were impressed by the menu variety given that we were on a special DBB rate. All in all we felt spoiled and loved it. Thank you

Room Tip: Gertrude Bell was lovely - so long as you don't mind going upstairs to the large bathroom!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HHughespayne
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am so pleased you had a great time with us and loved our Gertrude Bell room. Everyone is welcome here at the Tontine and it is great to hear that you were made to feel at home. Please come again soon!
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My wife and I have driven past the Tontine on numerous occasions, and we recently decided it was about time we went in. We are so glad we did. We went in for their delicious 'chocolate afternoon tea', which consisted of numerous chocolate delights as well as sandwiches, scones, quiche, and a pot of tea. The view from the room in to the gardens was great and not hindered at all by the A19 nearby. There was so much food that we couldn't finish it all but the waitress kindly boxed it up for us to take home.

As it was our first time at the tontine, we asked if we could have a look around. The general manager, Adam, kindly took 20 mins out of his schedule to show us the whole site including the bistro, events room and one or two of the empty bedrooms. We were also very impressed with the future developments they had planned.

We really enjoyed our visit to the Tontine, this place is a hidden gem of North Yorkshire!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nickkane
Cleveland T, Manager at The Cleveland Tontine, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. I am delighted you enjoyed our Afternoon Tea. We are all very proud of the Tontine and love nothing more than an opportunity to give a guided tour!! I hope you don't keep driving past and come again soon, even if its just for a coffee.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staddlebridge
Solberge Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Guisborough
Rockliffe Hall
Rockliffe Hall
#1 of 1 in Hurworth-on-Tees

Been to The Cleveland Tontine? Share your experiences!