“Most charming restaurant, outstanding cuisine.”

The Cleveland Tontine
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Staddlebridge
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Family treat for Mothering Sunday. Delicious lunch, wonderful service; always our favourite place to eat.

Stayed: March 2012
There are newer reviews for The Cleveland Tontine

Reviewed March 2, 2012

My wife and I first visited the Cleveland Tontine while on honeymoon 25 years ago. This was our first return visit and it did not disappoint. Both food and accommodation were of the highest standard with flashes of originality which made the stay truly memorable. Our room was spacious and very well furnished and decorated with the same eclectic choice of furniture that can be seen around the whole hotel. In all the feeling is of understated quality, as if a rich friend had given you the keys to their home for a few days. The McCoy brothers have a reputation to live up to and our experience was that they continue to do this with gusto.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ian W
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Great Sunday lunch. Lovely dining room, competent service. Celeriac velouté was outstanding. Good choice of main courses. (Food is just a little too salty is my only criticism).
Next time I'll try the puds.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Have wanted to eat here for many years and for my 60th birthday at the end of June my partner booked dinner as a surprise. It was midweek so not too full. We were both delighted with the ambience of the Bistro and the quality of the food. and wine..everything was as you would expect of this well established eaterie. Will certainly return for special occasions and aim to try the Sat set lunchtime deal.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BeemerF650
Reviewed December 15, 2011

A very special experience .Unique in every way . Tom , Eugene and Peter will do everything in their power to ensure you enjoy a memorable and wonderful experience .
From the forty 's style restaurant where you may enjoy the best food in the UK under a golden camisol to the comfortable, individually designed bedrooms this is somewhere you shouldn't miss .Maybe not all things to all don't live without visiting this establishment.
Restaurant of the year 1978 . Bistro of the year 2012 ?
Specialties include langoustine McCoy , filet de Chateaubriand, and the unique and eponymous choc o bloc Stanley.
Associated places ; Peters Place in Thirsk.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed November 27, 2011

I took my family there , 6 of us, for a celebratory dinner , my daughter's choice .... the dining area was a bit 'crowded', and a table set right in front of what would have been a nice 'live' fire - was blocked to us, sat at a two tables knocked to-gether . What we could make out of the room was poor, as the only 'lights' were from stubs of two candles on our tables. It did'nt look that immpresive anyhow. We had wine , and 'starters' , and a 'main' meal that could have passed for 'starters' ! I elected for queen scallops , never have I seen such tiny pieces of same, in fact I think it may have been one scallop 'divided' in a sort of ring, beset with a sauce of some kind, either of which was tastless . It really was hard to make out my plate , and the food upon it , and I shifted the larger of the two stubs of candle nearer my dish to see ! My 'main' dish was Pheasant , as was my grandson's choice also, I think he had one breast , and I the other ! It was a bit 'chewy' , and not much of it , combined with a sort of 'rissole' of chestnut 'add on' . Neither again tasted of anything particular , even the 'smears' of arty sauce around the edge of the plate counted for nought . We were brought a slim dish of potato and carrots for ALL of us eating , I never saw the potato's after the first person to have any, got lost in the darkness I think, I did manage to grab a few carrots , no big deal in those either. We had coffee at the end, as well as the odd beer among one of us .... I took some wine from Home, as my wife only likes 'weak' stuff ( 8% ) ... and I had to drive anyway , but I did 'declare' it , and asked for 'corkage' .... duly granted, at about £4.50 . The bill came to well nigh £240 in all ! This place is TOO rich for my blood , and over inflated for what one gets for your money . I will NEVER go again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank pierre34th
Reviewed November 23, 2011

We have lived nearby for almost four years and have heard wonderful things about the Cleveland Tontine. We visited as a family party of six adults for Sunday lunch in mid November. We had booked well in advance as we knew of its reputation. On arrival we were overwhelmed at the sheer number of seemingly busy staff on duty - we were constantly having to move to accomodate their movements as we checked in at the bar. We arrived at 1.00pm, as arranged, and a few of the indoor tables were already taken, and I am sure many more were reserved, although I couldn't confirm this. We were shown to a room upstairs to join two of our party who had already arrived. This was an okay, quirky sort of drawing room area, but dark and gloomy and cold - it seemed to us as though we were 'out of their way' up there. Eventually we got someone to come up and take our orders, and we asked then if we could be seated at our table, as we were the only group up there and it felt a little odd. We were shown through to a table in the conservatory, although there still appeared to be space inside the main restaurant. The conservatory was very bright, and had no atmsophere and you could hear every word of the conversations of other diners - inhibiting! Myself and my two sisters-in- law were seated on two wooden benches with cushions scattered about on them - comfortable for about 30 minutes and after this very uncomfortable and we ended up trying to sit on the cushions which made us too high above the table. We were still looking forward to the food though, having heard so much about it. Starters were quite slow to arrive. They were okay - nothing stunning, nothing awful. I had Queen scallops, but was a bit disappointed with the size and quality, and I suspect they had been kept warm a while as they were a bit on the tough side. Mushroom veloute was had by two people, pronounced okay but not very warm. Verdict for starters okay - if it was a pub meal. Then we waited a long while (remember all those waiting staff - where were they and what were they doing???). When the mains arrived the plates were cold, and the meals were luke warm, at best. The beef was exceptionally rare - which most of our party were fine with, but rare and cold is a weird combination and not that palatable. Chicken Jo Jo was okay but average. Lamb was again exceptionally rare but my husband said the flavour was very good. The accompanying roast potatoes and veg were 'tired' - I don't know how long they had been hanging around but they were overdone, luke warn and tired looking. Desserts, when they finally arrived were mediocre. Service was so disjointed, and patchy, we did not know what would turn up next - we asked for wine, water, more horseradish, more water - and they were brought to us by different people at random times! We paid around £250 for Sunday lunch which, to be honest, was not as good as some of the carveries we have had over the years. I felt that the 'oomph' had gone from this restaurnat, as I am sure it must have had it at one time. Won't go again. Wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank DebraKB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staddlebridge
Solberge Hall Hotel
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel
Gisborough Hall Hotel
Gisborough Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Guisborough

Been to The Cleveland Tontine? Share your experiences!