“Clean, good facilities”

Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Scotch Corner
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Stayed here a couple of times and have always been impressed with the standard of the room. All times our room has been too hot even with no heating on, the bathrooms have been well decorated and clean in each of the rooms we've stayed in. Breakfast was very good with lots of choice and help yourself, staff were friendly and nothing too much trouble.
Each time we have stayed here there has been a function on, and thats when the bar runs slow, due to people attending the function using the hotel bar. The lounge is decorated to suit the building and makes a very pleasant area to sit and "lounge".
We used the pool, sauna and steam room, these have just been refurbished and are excellent and very clean.
The only gripe i have is check in is extremely slow - other holiday inn's dont seem to have this problem, but each time we stayed check-in took a good 5-10 minutes and the staff seem a bit flustered with lots of paperwork to sort for each person ?
Definitely stay here again, one of the nicer holiday inns.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Amelia S, Front of House Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review from your recent visit to the Holiday Inn. I'm pleased to hear you had such an enjoyable and relaxing stay with us. I have taken on board your comments in regards to the slow check out procedure, we are currently training new front of house staff, this may have been the reason for the delay.

Again thank you for your lovely comments.
We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

what can I say? we booked this hotel as its half way between Scotland and our destination. im very glad I did! not great looking from exterior but as soon as the door opens...wow! Deco style but with modern touches, staff excellent, friendly and welcoming. room spotless with aircon included! I was actually looking for a fault so mark it down!! Italian restaurant on site which is incredible!! again staff amazing. breakfast ok self service. I would definitely stay here again! we looked on the way back but car park was full!

Room Tip: book early to get a better room. huge car park so no parking issues
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Amelia S, Front of House Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Thank you for leaving us your comments on your stay with us. It’s great to hear you had a pleasant stay with us.
We hope to see you again when your next on your travels.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I remember staying here before the Holiday Inn took it over and it was a bit grubby and lacking investment. Now it's spotless, well run and an ideal place to stay if you're working in the area. The restaurant is fine for my tastes and there's an amazing pub/restaurant across the roundabout in Middleton Tyas called the Shoulder of Mutton.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for leaving us your comments on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Darlington. I’m pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay.
We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

To clarify, from the off, i'm a platinum priority club member so i stay in a lot of Holiday Inns.
I'll be brief....
I don't like this Holiday Inn.
The rooms, although superficially nice, are freezing cold, even in the middle of summer. I turned the 'aircon' up to 30 deg C to try and get a bit of warm air into the room but he fan still just blew cold air around. There is no heating in the bathroom - not even a heated towel rail. This will be DREADFUL in the winter.
The wifi was NON- EXISTENT in the room - slow to connect and continual drop outs.
The service in the bar was very slow.
The staff, particularly at breakfast, were quite frankly rude and unhelpful .How difficult is it to offer someone a cup of coffee without being asked!?
Never again!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Fuzzbox100

Thank you for leaving us your comments on your recent stay. Firstly I would like to apologise that your stay with us at the Holiday Inn was not up to the normal standard you would expect.
I have taken on board on your comments in regards to the air conditioning unit in your room and that is being looked at by our maintenance team. I am sorry to hear that you did experience issues in regards to the complimentary Wi-Fi we offer our hotel guests, this connection we offer should work sufficiently with your basic internet needs. I would also like to offer my sincere apologises for your experience at breakfast, this is being looked into.
I do hope sometime in the future you will choose to stay with us again and we can offer you the full Holiday Inn experience you would expect.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Had a one night stay at the Holiday Inn at Scotch Corner, took the online option for Upgraded Room and were given a corner Executive Room, very nice size with ensuite bathroom. As this Hotel is right on the A1 the traffic noise can be intrusive but the Hotel and its facilities were very good. Bar prices very reasonable for a Hotel too. Lovely breakfast with all you can eat and more. Very pleasant receptionist and staff, would definitely stay there again when travelling.

Room Tip: Front rooms can be noisy due to A1 traffic, not sure what rear rooms are like.
1  Thank AngusDanielFletcher

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comments on your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

I did not even see the inside of the bedroom. I made the reservation around 17.00 and then drove the 1 1/2 hours to the hotel, at the reception I was told that they had overbooked and that there was no room at the inn for me, and that they had outsourced my booking to another hotel (which was not acceptable to me)

I therefore drove back to Nottingham tired and disappointed with this hotel

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Davidnotts
Amelia S, Front of House Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Firstly I would like to apologise for the issue you encountered with us at the hotel. I can understand what a big inconvenience it was for you to have booked a room at the hotel only to find there wasn’t a room available, finding ourselves overbooked is not something we are very familiar with. We are currently investigating what went wrong with the system to allow rooms to be sold when they were not available.
Again my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that was caused.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

This is an excellent hotel with first class amenities. The hotel is quite well run but we found that it is understaffed at peak times. The bar staff are pushed very hard and this means quite long waits for drinks at times, on our recent visit there was a long wait to get served although the barmaid was run off her feet, how she kept pleasant with everyone is a miracle. I have waited quite a long time before at this hotel. The food menu is quite good but the Italian restaurant is not to my liking. For one night I would recommend this hotel but it is a bit remote from nearby facilities. Compared to some places it is good value.

Room Tip: a good HOLIDAY INN. No recommendations about room location.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear patrick2012_12,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am pleased to know that you found our hotel excellent with first class amenities. However, I apologize for the level of service received and if you didn't find our Italian restaurant to your liking. All of our reviews are evaluated by our hotel management, and your review is no exception.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and we hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Charisse V.

#3 of 8 in Richmond
Middleton Lodge
Middleton Lodge
#4 of 8 in Richmond

Been to Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner? Share your experiences!