“Should Be Better”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Scotch Corner
Manchester
“Should Be Better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is good enough but has the potential to be so much better. It's located superbly, the rooms are comfortable and you get a warm welcome.

The reasons I'm not marking it higher are:

Breakfast - they need more staff. The ones there do their best but, if you arrive at a busy time, coffee is forgotten, things on the buffet run out etc.

Lounge Service - hit and miss. Sometimes it's ok but there's always the feeling the waitresses would enjoy their job more if there were no customers.

Internet -free but very, very slow especially in the rooms I've had.

These may seem like petty, minor gripes but the frustrating thing is they could be fixed so easily. If they did this, there's no reason future reviews couldn't be much better.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us regarding your recent stay with us.
I am glad to hear you found your stay comfortable and I have taken on board the comments you’re made regarding the restaurant and bar area and we welcome any opportunity to improve.

We look forward to serving you again.

Keith Stewart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I visited the Holiday Inn, Scotch Corner during the summer to have a lunch meeting with a colleague. On arrival I noticed the car park was very full, but fortunately found pretty much the last available space.

My colleague and I enjoyed our lunch in the bar which was club sandwich and a toasted sandwich of some sort, both with chips. Food was nicely presented, tasty and well cooked and offers really good value at just under £10 per meal. Service was a little slow, but staff were very pleasant and apologised that they were extremely busy and had a lot of orders which had come in at the same time. We weren't unduly worried as we were in no rush.

I also had a coffee which I thought was very nice - certainly better than expected from this sort of venue.

Would I recommend this venue? Well, it is nice and newly refurbished and the service is very good. Some of the seating is cleverly designed to facilitate privacy for business meetings, but it is quite busy - as I left cars were circling waiting for a space. Inside is busy too, so you need to get there by 11am to get one of the better seats.

I suppose my decision not to recommend this venue is based on value. Lunch and a couple of soft drinks for two came to just over £30 which in itself is not too bad. However, a week after visiting, I received an invoice for the car park for £100, although a discount was offered for prompt payment (£60). Apparently the first two hours parking is free, after which the charge applies. I wonder if the kitchen staff are instructed to hold food orders back to enable the hotel to earn additional revenue through the car park?

This meant a single course lunch of sandwich and chips for two without alcohol cost nearly £100 which, to put it mildly, I think can be bettered elsewhere.

My recommendation would be to try the 1911 club at Bradford City where a delicious three course meal costs just £7.50 per person and the parking and Wifi is free. You would have to live a long, long way from Bradford to spend the difference on fuel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the parking fine you received while using our hotel facilities. The first two hours are free for anyone parking in the car park, but it does state on the parking signs that are places outside and inside of the hotel that for any customer using our facilities it is complimentary free parking for as long as you are in the hotel, you just need to register your details at reception. The parking fine you received can be cancelled for you; we would just need you to directly contact the hotel and we can get that sorted for yourself.

Again my apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

They didn't want to know I had a Priority membership-ordered paper did not arrive and room was basic, but ok. Hotel seems to have had a refurb recently. Bed had a problem creaking (timber tearing) in bottom corner and the bathroom fan remained on for around 15 minutes when the light was turned off. The Fratello Restraurant will make us think about returning but,...

Room Tip: Book a table at the Fratello Restaurant as it is very good and manager is very good. Hotel has had a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us.

We take on board all your comments and we hope to see you again in the future.

Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I was really surprised and impressed with this hotel. It's not in a particularly beautiful setting, being on a roundabout between the A66 and A1, but don't let that put you off as the location is perfect for travellers and people on holiday in the area too. The interior of the hotel is beautiful, it's clean, fresh and modern and the staff are excellent. I stayed with my husband, daughter and granddaughter and we were given an executive room connected to a standard room and both were big and spotlessly clean. I can't comment on the food because we didn't eat there but breakfast at £10 seemed reasonable enough. When I'm back in the area I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
We are delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us at the Holiday Inn - Darlington and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when your travel brings you back to the area.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here whilst visiting family in nearby Darlington. Reception staff were lovely and had went out of there way to get us linking rooms... beautiful art-deco theme throughout the hotel and VERY accessible to people with limited mobility/push chairs/etc. Only bad thing was there was an odd smell of poo in certain areas! Although it must of not been that bad as I do intend to stay here again when next doing the 'visit the family' tour of the UK.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on your recent stay with us.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and we accommodated to your needs.
We hope to see you again when your next in the UK

scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed here a couple of nights over aug/sept 13 , the hotel is modern and i was suprised as it was very quite even though it is on the round about at scotscorner A1 . the food was ok , I had hadock one night and thought I had a childs portion . the whole place has been modernised throughout with auto recognition cameras in the car park with BIG signs telling you that there is £100 fine if you dont buy your ticket or if your a guest tell the reception staff the number of your car so you dont get a fine , i did so ... I had a hired car the 2nd visit and did tell the staff my reg number , they wrote it down.
3 weeks later the car hire company sent me a bill fo £35 fro the priveledge of letting me know that I had a fine and the car park people sent a fine for £100 for parking .. I told the hotel who said the would stop the fine and the car hire people have agreed to repay the £35 ( not as yet ) .

what a let down I drive through there every month somtime twice , I not think I would stay there again as I am not sure this would not happen agian the staff I spoke to said '' ohh sorry this happens all the time ''
driver beware !!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank john12345678
I would like to apologise for the inconvenience that has been caused regarding a parking fine while staying in our hotel. Reception is equipped with a touch screen device that logs all guests’ cars for the duration of their stay. The system communicates with Parking Eye so the company know the vehicle is registered as a hotel guest. The system we use is a touch screen device, it is very rare but occasionally a letter or digit can be entered incorrectly. This will then result in a fine. When this does occur we get the parking fine cancelled straight away.

Kind Regards,
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed here en route to Edinburgh. Rooms had been recently and tastefully renovated by the looks of things and included a fridge with water and snacks which was a nice touch and added to the comfort. We ate in the Italian restaurant and were impressed with the handmade pizza and attentive staff. Breakfast was also served here too and didn't disappoint either. There is free wifi but on three occasions I had to ask them to reset as it kept crashing but apparently they are aware and are looking to get this mended. All in all a good and comfortable stop over.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We have looked into the issues with the WiFi and it is back up and running as normal.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotch Corner
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,033 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner? Share your experiences!