“why doesnt reception ever pick up?”

Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Scotch Corner
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“why doesnt reception ever pick up?”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

would like to really put this review on here about my recent encounter with this hotel , tried to phone reception several times on the first night never had my call answered for 15 minutes, second day phoned for a general quiery about upgrading again no answer for 20 minutes? aren't there enough reception staff and arnt they supposed to be there for the guest queries? telephone and face to face!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear John L,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am very sorry that you were dissatisfied with the service received from our reception staff. Kindly be advised that your comments have been noted and will be shared with the staff involved in the processes of taking the appropriate actions to rectify this instance.

Again, thanks for the candid feedback and my apologies for the shortcomings.

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Scotland
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here while travelling on business. The hotel was very neat and tidy and the staff very helpful and polite. When checking in discovered that we got a free newspaper and wifi connection which I thought was a nice touch considering the other holiday inns I have stayed in. The bar was very pleasant as was the restaurant albeit a limited menu. Price wise it is typical Holiday Inn as in not the cheapest but not the most expensive. Wifi was found to be a bit intermittent which could be down to the number of users.

Will stay again when in the area.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to do so.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon.

South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My family stayed here for my Nephews wedding over the late May bank holiday weekend, and I have to say we were pleasantly surprised, looking at the outside of the building gives no real indication of how nice it actually is inside. Firstly, the hotel as a venue, everything was faultless, the room was decorated beautifully, and just as the bride and groom had asked, the staff were friendly, helpful, attentive and very efficient, the meal was delicious, everyone commented on how smoothly things had been handled, from arriving mid afternoon, until the disco had finished in the early hours, and how the wedding co-ordinator (Mo) made sure everyone was taken care of. If any of my friends asked me for recommendations, I wouldn't hesitate to tell them about this Holiday Inn.
Secondly, the hotel as a place to stay, again I can't fault anything about it, from the airey and spacious lounge/bar, to the spotlessly clean rooms, the room I stayed in was compact, but had everything I required, a nice powerful shower, a firm bed, plenty of wardrobe space, and again absolutely spotless, we slept very well, and can't complain of any outside noise, my 80 year old Mother (who is a very light sleeper) was in a room on the opposite side of the hotel, and said she also had a very good, undisturbed sleep, and she was in bed by 10pm. The rest of my family (we had 9-10 rooms) all in different parts of the hotel, all agreed with us about everything i've mentioned. Then there was the breakfast, everything you could want, and plenty of it, all fresh, again there was nothing that was too much trouble for the staff.
In conclusion, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an affordable function, or break.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your feedback - It is great to read such lovely comments regarding the hotel, staff and service we provide!

We look forward to seeing you all in the future.

KInd Regards,
edinburgh
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is very conveniently placed at the junction at Scotch Corner and with good double glazing little or no traffic noise can be heard in the comfortable bedrooms. The staff were welcoming and the breakfast was good without being excellent. We arrived and had forgotten toothpaste but a supply was provided by reception. On the Friday evening a wedding reception was taking place in the function suite and the following morning we heard at breakfast that a guest sleeping in a room above the event were kept awake by the music so ensure that your bedroom is not located in that area of the hotel.

The hotel has been recently refurbished and the outside appearance is still austere which does not do the inside justice. There is an area for business meetings/chats which is separate from the bar and lounge which are very comfortable.The lounge staff were attentive and Sandra requires special mention for her ability to keep waiting customers happy and informed. We will use this hotel again because of its location as well has its comforts but also because of its cost effectiveness.

Room Tip: Avoid a bedroom above the function suite.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your feedback - I am pleased to hear that you were impressed by the hotel and you had an enjoyable stay. Our goal is to constantly provide excellent service. I will pass on your lovely comments to Sandra.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards
Midlands
Reviewed May 28, 2013

At first glance the Holiday Inn looks a bit dated from the outside, but once you get in there is a lot going for it. The interior has been fitted out to a high standard and is clean and welcoming.

We can't say enough good things about the staff, always smiling, helpful, and very customer orientated. The breakfast room staff were particularly welcoming and were very helpful.
Our double room was clean, quiet, and well fitted out.

We were only using the hotel as an overnight stop, but would have no hesitation in booking it for longer if we were visiting the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Holiday Inn Darlington. It’s great you hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will return to the hotel.

UK
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed in the king executive suite and were very impressed. We have stayed in more 'upmarket' hotels before and this was equally as nice if not nicer.

Huge and very comfortable bed. Room was massive, lovely bathroom and nice and clean.

Bar area lovely, although female staff a bit miserable.

Resteraunt was lovely and the managers were fantastic,very friendly and helpful

The health club is lovely also with great facilities.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback - It is a delight to read your comments regarding the quality of the hotel and our staff.

We look forward to seeing you again

Somerset, England
Reviewed May 25, 2013

A colleague and I booked two nights here to enable us to attend some business meetings in the local area. First impressions were good - pleasant decor and efficient staff. We had a drink in the bar and then a delicious meal in the Italian restaurant. My room was comfortable and I had an excellent night's sleep. So far, so good. We had a busy day, and returned in the early evening to another excellent Italian meal. On the way out of the dining room, we were aware that some sort of function was taking place in the room just beyond the Reception area. As we had a busy day ahead, we had planned an early night and very early start the next morning, so took ourselves off to our rooms in different parts of the hotel, assuming that we would be able to repeat the previous restful night. When I actually entered my room ( on the first floor) I was surprised to find how clearly I could hear the music from the event taking place below me - but assumed that, on a Thursday night, it would not be going on for too long. I held onto that hope as the music (and increasingly loud singing) continued past 10, 11 and 12 o'clock. It was not an exaggeration to say that I might as well have been at the party, and that the windows were shaking with the row. At 12 midnight I rang the main desk to ask when the event was likely to end. No reply. I then rang again, and again. Still no response. Eventually ( round about one o'clock) the phone was answered by a man who told me that the event was not due to end until 2am. He was apologetic, but said that there was nothing he could do about it. By the time it did end, I was past being able to sleep. By the time I met my colleague downstairs early in the morning I was exhausted and upset. When I complained to Reception staff, they asked where my room was - and then told me that I could not have been there, as they had taken care not to book anyone in on the first floor that night - because that was right over the function room! I would add that I had made no special requests whatsoever regarding which room i wanted when I booked in the previous night. When they did eventually accept that I had been where I said I was, they did immediately cancel my charge for that night. Although I certainly did expect that, it was not particularly helpful so far as my day ahead was concerned. I felt exhausted all day, dozed on the train home ( meaning that I had to fit in the work planned for the journey over the weekend) and was then forced to cancel my plans for the evening as I needed to go straight home to bed. I have stayed in many hotels in the course of my work, and can honestly say that I have never known such an awful night. I certainly will not be coming back - and have taken care to share my experience with my colleagues. If you have no other alternative, take care when booking to enquire about any such events taking place in the hotel....and ensure that you are not booked in anywhere near Room 121....

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Scarletshoes
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Scarletshoes,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. It is great to hear you were happy with our facilities and that after some initial issues our staff was able to address your concerns during your stay. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had with the noise. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. Despite your disappointment we do hope you will stay with us again when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Karen C
Redworth Hall Hotel
Redworth Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Redworth
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,072 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner? Share your experiences!