“Loved it !”

Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Scotch Corner
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 1 night and we love it ! Beautiful decor and comfortable room, the team in the hotel couldn't do enough, we had dinner in Fratello's which was perfection in good food coupled with great guest service. The hotel we found has a really nice fully equipped gym with pool etc which we used and soon has a very welcome addition of a new leading hairdressing salon opening mid April, not living miles away (Newcastle) we will definitely use the hotel again for business & pleasure. Nice stay and the hotel has been furnished to a great standard !
Great location too literally on the A1
No grumbles here !

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank hairdresser85
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were very impressed with the hotel.

We hope you will return to stay with us again in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed sat 23rd with myself, wife 2 kids and mother in law. My wife booked 3 rooms. We requested 2 adjoining. Arrived at 4. Told rooms were not ready. Donna, rwceprionoat was very apologetic. Took 30 mins for rooms to be ready. Then told that 'somebody' had moved the rooms and it was no longer possible to have adjoining rooms. They did try over the next half hour to sort it but to no avail. They ended up putting another single bed in a (now small) double room. We all trooperd down to dinner and it took 30 mins to have our order taken. Kids were getting very hungry. We chased the order to ask foe it to be sped up as at this stage kids were waiting a good 1hr15!. When they brought the order they had gotten it wrong. Advised they would hurry the chicken nuggets up and bring a fresh plate. Out came the fresh nuggets and luckily I cut them up for my son as they were raw inside!! Another order went through to the kitchen and when next batch came out they were fine. We ordered a second bottle of wine. When the wine came the waitress did not have a corkscrew. Took twenty minutes for her to come back. Too late food finished. In fairness they took the wine and the chicken nuggets off the bill. When we came to check out nextmorning Donna assured me that the manager was furious about the adjoining rooms and would be in touch. Was asked to leave my email address. Have heard absolutely nothing so obviously the manager was not that concerned!. We have stayed here a number of times now and would've said great hotel, clean, attentive staff etc but this has completely put us off. Aside from Donna, customer service and follow up very poor!

• Stayed: March 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear carlmbrennan,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative about your comments on Donna. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and are happy doing so. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience your restaurant experience may have caused you. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Summary
No heating, remote control not working for TV, 30 mins for just a burger & chips, Internet not working, lies regarding problems not fixed for months.

Be aware your room is not guaranteed and you may get transferred to the Mecure in Darlington.

I entered my double room after checking in and the room was cold. I immediately changed the heating dial to 24c. After 15 mins of no reaction, I put it up to 30c. After another 15 mins still no heat. I called for assistance and was advise that by putting it to 30c it cancels it out!? The manager changed it to 28c. 1 hour later - no heat!
Apparently they were fully booked and could not transfer me to another room - yet Central Reservations could book me two rooms! They advised me that they can OVER book by 5 rooms and they would transfer customers to another hotel - meaning your booking is not guaranteed.

While waiting for the heating, I wanted to watch TV, but the remote didn't work. I wanted to get on-line with the free Internet. It's free because it doesn't work or at times very slow.

To wait for the heating, I went to the bar for dinner. Only requested a burger and chips and it took all of 30 mins for it to come out.

There is a TV in one of the lounges - it doesn't work. 3 months ago I was told someone was coming out that week to fix it. Still not fixed. More lies.

The last time I stayed I had similar problems with heating, remote and Internet, but gave them the benefit of the doubt - wish I never had. It would seem the staff just make up stories to get by rather than solving any problems.

Simple advice - don't stay here if you want a simple over night stay

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Stuart W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Stuart W,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. I truly apologize for the not up to par experience you had during you stay with us. Kindly be assured that all your comments are being reviewed by the management and actions will be taken accordingly. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is a really great little hotel. From the outside it doesn't look like much, but inside its a really pleasant environment. The rooms are large and clean with comfortable rooms. The restaurant is much better than in most Holiday Inn hotels. There is a small gym / pool on site. Overall it's more of a Crowne Plaza standard.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Keith S, Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback - I am pleased to hear that you were impressed by the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed as a couple at the Holiday Inn on Friday 22nd March, this was a late booking due to the snow and the weather forecast. Checking in was quick, the receptionist (Stephanie) was very welcoming and informative. We had drinks in the bar and a meal in the restaurant which was also excellent (well done to Max for running such a slick operation). Our bedroom was extremely comfortable, we had a standard room which included a fridge and a safe. Don't be put off by the exterior of the hotel, inside is beautiful and as I said very, very welcoming. Thank you to ALL the staff for such a lovely stay. (After this hotel we stayed for 2 nights further north at a luxury hotel and can honestly say the Holiday Inn compared well). We will definitely return.

Room Tip: We were in a standard on the ground floor which was really quiet and very comfortable.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to post a lovely review on our hotel; it is a delight to read that your experience this time around was much better than your previous stay. We are pleased that you would definitely stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Arrived at the hotel at 11:00pm on a cold and miserable night and immediately cheered up by the warmth and friendliness of the staff. Everything was 'spot on'. Cleanliness, room quality etc etc,. This is the standard other hotels need to achieve. I would certainly recommend using this hotel whenever you need a break on a northbound trip.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I booked this hotel to break what would otherwise have been a very long drive home. On the Scotch Corner roundabout, and just six miles out of Darlington, it seemed ideal. The rate was pretty good. The front of house has a very impressive Art Deco feel. However, that is where the problems start.

This hotel's prime position means that they don't have to 'fight' for business, and this shows in the attitude of the staff. I spend over 100 nights per year in hotels, 98% of which is in Holiday Inn chain hotels. I come from a hotel and catering family, so I think that gives me an idea of what should be happening. This hotel falls considerably short of the mark. Key issues were:

- A receptionist who does not pay attention to the guest's details on the reservation card.
- A Restaurant Manager who came up to my room when she realised that I had not left a pre-authorisation, but did not bring a card machine (did she expect me to give her my AmEx card?!?)
- A soul-less room which, whilst clean, has an underpowered shower; not what you want at the end of a long day.
- A restaurant using garlic paste which didn't really taste of garlic.

There was no reason given for the conviction that I was sure to abscond from the hotel without paying for my dinner. Suffice it to say that was not my plan.

If you need a hotel in this area, I would suggest you try the Bannatyne Hotel in Darlington itself. I shan't be back, regardless of this hotel's convenient location.

Room Tip: Book yourself a room at the Bannatyne in Darlington. It is only 6 miles away.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Keith S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Holiday Inn Darlington. I’m sorry to hear that your experience was far from what you expected at the Holiday Inn. It is the hotel policy to have a guarantee of a pre authorisation of either card payment or cash when the room has already been paid for. I have spoken to the receptionist on duty and this was advised to yourself on check in but was declined, therefore your account was closed. The issues regarding the room and restaurant food quality will be investigated separately.

King Regards

#3 of 8 in Richmond
Middleton Lodge
Middleton Lodge
#4 of 8 in Richmond

Been to Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner? Share your experiences!