“Just off A1 ideal for stop over when travelling”

Holiday Inn Darlington A1 Scotch Corner
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Scotch Corner
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Stayed here recently and was pleasantly surprised as I did not know there was a holiday inn here, I usually stay in and around Darlington. The hotel has recently been refurbished and the public areas were very stylish, the bedrooms warm and comfortable. Reception had my booking to hand and also all my loyalty details which was a nice touch. Ample parking and just a minute from A1.
A warm room with complimentary wi fi and water,juice and a kit kat in the fridge was most welcome after my long drive.
The room also had a media center so bring your cables with you and plug in. Ample power sockets which is handy when charging phones, laptops,etc. The only negative was the noise, I was on ground floor and the other occupants arrived late and left early in the morning and the insulation between rooms was poor.
I ate dinner in the restaurant and it was fine, breakfast was buffet style with plenty of choices.I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed February 6, 2012

We stayed here last minute on a weekend where heavy snow was forecast. Its been refurbished and has that "new" feel to it but keeping some of the old features but brought into a modern style . The room was lovely, well decorated, large bed, very clean, lovely bathroom, fridge with complimentary kitkat and soft drinks, and a safe which came in suprisingly handy. The only problem we had was with the heating controls as on the second day it appeared to break, however as we were leaving that morning we informed reception on checking out. The snow came as predicted so we used the swimming pool, sauna and steam room which again was complimentary which were ok (its in need of a refurb around the edges which i believe is in the pipeline but even so, was clean and pleasant). On the saturday evening we ate in the bar due to the bad weather, this was a little pricey however the food was very nice and the homemade chips were lovely and the setting was very relaxing.

We had breakfast on the one morning and this was a disappointment. having stayed in a holiday inn a few weeks previous and having had a lovely breakfast, this was a let down. We arrived at 9.45am, there were 2 other people having breakfast, there were about 3 sausages left, 1 hash brown, no fried eggs - we werent informed by the waiter that more would be available, so we shared what was left, about 10 minutes later more food was put out, by which time we had already eaten. We sent back our tea and coffee as they were both cold. All in all, breakfast could have been made so much better.

On checking out we were informed that the breakfast had cost us £10 EACH!! definitely not worth the money at all.

All in all i would stay here again as its a lovely hotel and a good location, but i would find breakfast elsewhere in future !!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2012

A one night stay on business. Of all the Holiday Inns in the UK that I have stayed in this is one of the better ones, having obviously been recently refurbished. As a Platinum Priority Club member, I was not offered an upgrade and they told me all the rooms were of the same standard. The room was well appointed if a little small but it had a spacious bathroom and the bed was comfortable. There was a good quality LCD large TV and in a nice touch they provided a complementary mini bar with a kit-kat, water and orange juice (maybe for priority club members only?). The desk area wasn't really compatible for doing any serious work so I had to work lying on the bed. With all said and done and with a very reasonable B&B rate, I will be staying here again, it is better than other alternatives in the Darlington area.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 11, 2012

My 5 year old granddaughter & I stayed during the Christmas break. What a transformation from the old Scotch Corner Hotel!
We had an amazing time from Check-in to Check-out.
All the staff were lovely, especially with my granddaughter,who proceeded to take photos of everything & everyone.(Santa brought her a camera for Christmas.)
Our room was beautifully decorated, warm & cosy. A spotless bathroom & a really comfy bed.
The food was reasonably priced & delicious.
As a retired hotel manager I'm not that easily impressed, but I certainly was here!
Worth paying a visit to nearby Richmond,a lovely cobbled market town,with a castle & beautiful riverside walks.
The old Station,converted to a cinema/eateries/little shops etc.,worth a visit too.

1  Thank saffronCleveland
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed for New Year weekend and very impressed with this hotel, recently refurbished and looks the part! Can't fault anything, all staff members were very professional, friendly and helpful. New Year party and dinner was well organised. Lovely meal.

Will be booking for next New Year. Highly recommended.

Reviewed January 2, 2012

I would like to recommend this hotel where I stayed for 2 nights with my family. We were warmly greeted by the reception staff and were very happy with the rooms which were warm, modern and very tastefully decorated. We then went for a bite to eat in the bar, there was a good menu there, I would particularly recommend the home made soup and fish cakes which were delicious. We also ate in at the restaurant that evening and found the food equally as delicious, and enjoyed the friendly service. Breakfast staff were very friendly and there was a good variety of choices. In the rooms there is the possibility to record TV programmes and watch them later. My son visited the gym on both days and was very happy with the variety of equipment there. There is a charming little village called Richmond to visit nearby. We would most definitely stay here again.

Reviewed January 2, 2012

This hotel is amazing, after the recent refurbishment it looks great, the location is very useful to us, food it good, and the hotel is comfortable and clean. The staff have always been very efficient and friendly. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Every room we've been in have been good, mainly different sizes.