“Wonderful food”
Review of Smugglers

Smugglers
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Smugglers Bistro and Bar is a candle-lit Bistro and bar. Situated just meters from the dock the smuggling history of the bay is brought to life in our wonderfully romantic restaurant. Specialising in fresh seafood and locally sourced meats we offer a range of dishes. Our cosy Bistro and wine bar offers a range on Gins and fine wines in an adult only area.
Retford, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed a lovely meal while on a weekend away with a friend. We both had salmon; mine with a sweet chilli flavouring and couldn't find any criticism at all! Would recommend highly.

Visited April 2013

West Yorks, England, United Kingdom
“Good atmosphere and service slightly let down by the food”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Really nice atmosphere and friendly helpful service, but food a bit mediocre to be honest. They say they specialise in seafood, but we had 2 fish dishes which were both overcooked and not that well treated. The chips were a bit soggy too. There was a decent amount of choice though and the staff were very pleasant and enthusiastic.

• Visited May 2013
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere but terrible steak”
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We booked a table for 4 people early afternoon for the Sat evening. This place really gets booked up quick! The restaurant has a really nice feel about it. It's tiny & quirky. I'm not a big lover of seafood personally so I opted for a steak (sirloin if I remember rightly). I was rather dissapointed, it was extremely undercooked. Tough as old boots & mainly fat. Looking back i wish i'd complained as it was rather pricey. I cannot however fault anything else we ate that evening, it was lovely especially the lemon sponge desert.

• Visited March 2013
Cleethorpes
“Excellent fish !”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We were visiting Robin Hoods Bay on a Saturday eve so rang on a Wednesday and just managed to book a table on the For the Saturday.
It's not that large inside but is exactly as you would imagine a small fish (speciality) restaurant to look like in a small English fishing cove famous for smuggling in the 17th century. Even the bottles on the bar have inches of solid candle wax drips gluing them to the bar as they haven't been moved in years. It's quite dark inside, but this adds to the ambience . I personally felt it could have been a little warmer inside, and sat with my jacket on for quite some time. I ordered smoked make real pâté , which I enjoyed followed by Cajun salmon and Gallic mashed potato. It's was so enjoyable I can remember the taste now ! ( a week later).
My wife had Ardennes pâté which she said was "just ok" - followed by fish pie and crevettes on the side. She enjoyed the pie and the crevettes were lovely . I think of such a venue in such a popular tourist location , draught beer / lager should be available .
If you order a coffee at the end of your meal - check the price first! We ordered one, and the bill appeared to show £3 fora single coffee !

• Visited April 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Outstanding Meal”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Visited Smugglers for a second year and was equally impressed, very welcoming staff and the cosiest of places. Starters were served and were beautiful, the fresh crevett prawns were to die for. Just enough time was allowed before the mains were served.Sirloin steak and pork fillet were cooked to perfection. Another visited planned for next year. Highly recommended, you wont be disappointed.

• Visited February 2013