“Fantastic rooms and great gardens”
Review of Thorpe Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Robin Hoods Bay
Thorpe Hall
York, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic rooms and great gardens”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I have recently come back from a night at the bay. I came across Thorpe Hall by luck and so glad I did. The staff were so friendly and welcoming and the room we stayed in was so cute.

The gardens were great for sitting out in the sun and we even made friends with the local sheep!!

The location of it was perfect, nice and close to the beach and Whitby is only 4/5 miles, would certainly stay again and will recommend to everyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Thorpe Hall is an amazing and very old building, and the sense of awe that I felt knowing that the walls and huge ceiling timbers had stood the test of time for ~ 500 years, and I was sleeping in it was quite something unique. The breakfast (cooked on an old AGA) was just superb with the best Cumbrian Sausage I have ever had. The gardens were also very special, and this area and B & B is especially geared to walkers, with lovely walk trails nearby. It is a dog friendly establishment, and the several dogs "in residence" were not a problem at all with the exception of their "leavings" abandoned throughout the parking area, walkways and garden (I have challenges with dog owners not taking responsibility for the appropriate removal of these). Bedroom very well laid out, but did feel that it needed a lot more fresh air through it. The old sitting room that we had for use was just amazing, and once again, basked in the sense of history that I was sitting in.

A very pleasant stay. Thank you

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Liberty, WV
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I like to choose my overnight stays as a destination in themselves, and Thorpe Hall met all my requirements for a memorable overnight. Angelique provides that perfect combination of charm and attention without hovering and she has great recommendations for the area. Her suggestion for Fylindale's Inn for our evening meal was spot on. She and her husband obviously love this wonderful old Elizabethan manor and it shows in terms of care, upkeep and comfort. The rooms are beautifully decorated, light and airy without being pretentious or fussy and were just what I had hoped for. On the other hand, keep in mind that this is a centuries old home with creaking staircases and slanted timbered ceilings. It can be a bit of a haul with heavy luggage, but all that is as it should be in these wonderful old buildings and I feel lucky that our hosts were sharing it all with us. I was travelling with friends and we shared a bath between the two rooms. I was charmed by my room's mullioned windows and attic ceilings and the bed was very comfortable. The only addition that I could have used, and perhaps I just overlooked it, was a hairdryer. Breakfast was a real treat with some of the best sausage I've ever eaten in the UK and believe me I've had a lot to compare it to. I understand it's provided by a local vendor in the village. It's a gorgeous walk up and through the village and down into Robin Hood's Bay and Thorpe Hall makes the perfect stop over for a visit to this area and to nearby Whitby. If you have the time to linger, the back yard garden is the perfect spot to sit and read a good book, but with all that beautiful Yorkshire coastline waiting for you, that's hard to do.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Merrilee M
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is the oldest home I have ever slept in and it was truly a unique and wonderful experience. We had two rooms. One upstairs with no ensuite however we had exclusive use of a good bathroom adjacent. This room was wood panelled and very fresh with one opening window section it received a good breeze on a warm day. With the bed I must admit I felt a little like my head was a little downhill but I slept well. The other room was downstairs with an ensuite. The downstairs bedroom was full of character although being a person who like a breeze not as airy. Parking was easy and the gardens were gorgeous to walk around. The breakfast cooked in the old Aga stove was delicious and served in a delightful dining area. There is only one thing I would mention. This is a dog friendly establishment for well behaved animals with dogs staying in the rooms. We were not disturbed at all by this although I was disappointed in the morning to see several items dog owners had not picked up outside. The hosts must pick up as it was meticulous the night before. Step up dog owners!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed this week for two nights. We were welcomed by Angelique and shown around the accomodation. The house is a beautiful place to stay and we were really happy with our room, even though it was not ensuite and perhaps a little on the more expensive side as a result, the communal toilet and shower room (shared by only one other guest) were very clean and just next door. Our springer spaniel was also welcomed and the accomodation is a great base for walks. Good pub nearby and only a short walk into the bay for further pubs and restruants, everywhere was very dog friendly. Would definitely recommend and would stay again if we revisit robin hoods bay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dyb321
Ipswich,
Reviewed June 7, 2013

we stayed here for a couple of nights when attending a friend's wedding in Robin Hoods Bay. The room was clean and the bed v.comfortable. THe owners were friendly and not intrusive. The breakfast was lovely. We had our 2 year old daughter with us and (without asking) they put a booster seat out for us and gave her a separate children's bowl and cutlery at breakfast, which was very thoughtful.

The B&B is in easy walking distance of the bay (5 to 10 min walk), and it has a really nice pub about 2 minutes walk away. We'd very happily stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2013

As a retired couple we stayed here for 3 nights to meet up with friends who we hadn't seen for several years. Angelique and her staff made us very welcome in this fascinating building dating back to the 1600s.

The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable and clean with good quality linens. Our bathroom wasn't ensuite but we knew that when we booked and practically, there is no way that a connecting door could be fitted without damaging the wood panelling that is hundreds of years old. However the bathroom (always lots of hot water) was only a few steps away and was for our sole use - frankly not an issue considering the architecture of the building.

The breakfasts were good and the quantity was fine. Cooked food was brought to the table and fruit, cereal and toast were available on a self-serve basis.

The gardens are lovely with lots of areas to sit quietly. There is a walking route from the house, through the gardens and down to Robin Hood's Bay village that takes about 15 minutes and is a much more gentle walk than down the steep road from the RHB parking lot at the top of the hill.

As a final note: If you like to stay at the Premier Inn and other cookie-cutter type of modern hotels, this may not be the kind of place for you. A building like this has character and history, which means squeaky floorboards, ancient beams and centuries of use. However, if you are looking for friendly owners, good food, a casual, intimate atmosphere with peace and quiet, then don't hesitate to book here - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
#3 of 6 in Fylingthorpe
Saxon Villa
Saxon Villa
#2 of 6 in Fylingthorpe

Been to Thorpe Hall? Share your experiences!