The Frenchgate Restaurant & Hotel
$238
$122
Great 4.5/5
Premier Inn Catterick Garrison Hotel(Catterick)(Great Value!)
$70
Middleton Lodge(Richmond)
Travelodge
Travelodge
Very Good 4/5
All reviewswine flightnapoli suiteamerican breakfastbridal suiteegg shaped bathcobbled streetwine listunderfloor heatingexcellent hotelfantastic foodsmall hotelevening mealfirst classhuge bedhigh standardwet roomeggs benedict
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the suite, the hand carved oak bed is amazing, my only regret was that we couldn't stay longer. When we arrived, the hotel owner met us, he was friendly, welcoming and as soon as we arrived we knew that our stay was going to be excellent. We checked into the suite and proceeded to have a few drinks in the cosy bar. The hotel owner bought us an excellent bottle of wine on his recommendation and we sat in the conservatory/bar enjoying the weather. The next morning we had an excellent breakfast in the informal but pleasant surroundings of the dinning room. All in all a most excellent stay!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed in the Frenchgate on a short holiday in North Yorkshire in early August. The "Napoli" room was superbly kitted out; we lacked for nothing. The room had a quiet ceiling fan. It's a bit quirky having the bath in the bedroom, but having the bathroom and shower separate was very useful. We ate in the restaurant once and the service, food, wine, and presentation were amazing. The location is also good as it is in close proximity to the central marketplace yet it is not a through street, hence very quiet at night. Can't recommend it highly enough. Also several other good restaurants within walking distance. Only slight problem for us was the mattress was a bit on the hard side.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We have dined in this restaurant many times over the past ten years. A consistent high standard is always maintained. David, as he gets older, is less OTT, and thus a better host. We wish he used tablecloths in the restaurant, but that is our only suggestion for improvement. For this food and service joy one has to pay a price. It is usually the most expensive in Richmond. Well worth it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I can safely say I didn't know what too expect when it came to a hotel in Richmond, I live and work nearby, so for me the town is somewhere to go to the bar or the little cinema. The Frenchgate has changed my opinion totally, a lovely little hotel with excellent service, rooms (walk-in wet room - lovely...), and beyond incredible food (the new chef can do wonders, I defy you to not be amazed by beetroot ravioli...).

I thoroughly recommend this hotel, a superb place to stay, unwind, and eat!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Nillieand
Reviewed August 9, 2013

First time my partner and I have visited this restaurant and were we overwhelmed?! The service, atmosphere, decor, food, drink, experience, chef and owner were something else. Everything was to a fantastically high standard leaving pretense at the door. I found it refreshing and interesting to hear tales of the building's history, the business in general and 'faulty tower' moments, from the owner. His sense of humour really added to the general feel of the hotels personality and character. A very English experience. The building is fantastic! I could feel the ghosts of Richmond pass me by with 1000 stories to tell. The building has also been well preserved. We were given a guided tour after our dinner by the owner and the room we were shown was made of up of stone cottage walls and original wooden beams throughout. The bed was a modern 4 poster, hand-crafted creation which was very beautiful! A tall man must crouch to enter the charming bathroom where the tub is almost secretly tucked away at the back, a dim glow of light peering over the sides and bottle of bubbly patiently awaiting its swimmers, inside.
Back in the main room we were shown the fantastic historic hand-crafted fireplace which has been rescued and preserved and worth today a small fortune!
There is also the option to Dine in this room and have the waiter bring all your food and beverages to your room.
Alcohol provided in this room is also complimentary.
Onto the food!
A fantastically talented chef!
One should expect to pay much more for the quality and experience provided here.
I would describe it as an unusual taste and texture experience that works 100%. It was all very fun but not lacking in satisfying us with a good meal at the same time.
The chef alone makes visiting this hotel a worthy and unique experience. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys trying new things with their food and is passionate about flavour!
You also get the option of having a wine picked out for each course that best compliments your food. You are told everything about the wine on its arrival including how to best enjoy it.
Fun, fun, fun.
This is how food should be done!
Wonderful place, very under-priced in my opinion (not that I want that to change!) Excellent value for money!
Ooh I forgot to mention the organic marmalade vodka... Oh I could go on all day.
Just go. Experience it. It's bloody good! :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple