A two night stay in 'the cottage' room over a beautiful November weekend. This was perfect for a romantic stay as it's quirky location (separate from main hotel) felt deliciously private and the lack of shower (we were aware of this on booking) meant more luxuriating in a roll top bath. Its low ceiling does make it feel snug however and wouldn't be to everyones comfort.
Service was attentive but discrete. The styling of the hotel was beautiful - classic furniture and modern art. Dining/ breakfast room - cozy and intimate, but with large tables for two meaning that you had space as a couple rather than any feeling of being packed in. Food - superb. Well cooked breakfast with good selection of options (though I lament the lack of fresh orange juice) and the evening meal was delicious and well thought out. We opted for the 'wine flight' - glasses of wine to suit each course rather than a bottle - and found this a much more fun way to enjoy our meal, especially as the dessert wines complemented perfectly rather than having to finsih a bottle we had chosen to go with our mains.
In summary, it isn't a cheap option so it is somewhere to choose if you want to take you time and you won't be disappointed. Reading other reviews about the owner being 'rather like basil fawlty', my own experience was that it is a man who cares very much about his hotel, the food and welcoming you to this hotel. And yes he has a clear unafraid persona. But he is no Basil. And, if he was, I rather think it could be more of a selling point!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The quality of food and menus at the Frenchgate reflect the passion and enthusiasm of the staff. Care is taken to source ingredients locally wherever possible and all our food is all prepared to order. Start with a selection of homemade breads, starters of hand dived scallops, Whitby white crab or carpaccio of local beef, then maybe a loin of Yorkshire lamb together with a confit of shoulder, a fillet of pan roasted halibut cooked to perfection, local game or one of our delicious vegetarian options. Our bar and wine lists match the quality and value of our food. Choose from our superb house recommendations or unique “wine flight” to classic and unusual new world offerings. As well as a range of fine spirits and liqueurs befitting the independent and non corporate feel of The Frenchgate, you can also enjoy a range of both local bottle conditioned ales, and imported beers from around the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Agoda and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Frenchgate Restaurant & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Frenchgate Hotel Richmond
- The Frenchgate Restaurant & Hotel Richmond, Yorkshire