“Nice, but............”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Richmond
Victoria, Canada
“Nice, but............”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife & I were part of a group walking the Coast to Coast path and we stayed at the Kings Head for two nights. It's in a great location on the square in wonderful Richmond and has a great atmosphere to it. We had a very nice spacious room facing the narrow side street and our breakfast's and evening meals were very appealing and served in very pleasant surroundings. Overall we were very pleased but for two things. Firstly our bathroom had no shower facility which made it very difficult to get the dust of the trail out of our hair. We would have thought that a shower would have been standard in a Best Western hotel. Secondly, at the buffet breakfast the hot dishes did not have any facility to be kept warm, consequently even those brought recently from the kitchen were cool by the time they were consumed. We did bring this to the attention of staff but we weren't too sure that they understood. Pity!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank OB-Traveller
GM-KingsH, General Manager at The King's Head Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I have spoken to my team with regards to the buffet breakfast, so that going forward this does not occur and we dont have guests having food that is not hot. We have recently had 9 new showers fitted in the hotel in the area of rooms where we have previously had issues , these showers are aswell as the two new large water tanks that feed the water to these rooms, as you may imagine we have soon a huge improvement. We do hope that you are able to return to visit us soon and can see the improvements that have been made.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Barnard Castle, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We have lived in Richmond all our married life (21 years) and have never visited this hotel before!!! We were drawn to the lovely decking area in front of the hotel which was a perfect setting to take in the ambience of the bustling little market town. We were served promptly with drinks and was now very tempted to look at the food menu. We decided to go for it! I chose the rump of lamb which was cooked perfectly, succulent, tender and served with sweet potato mash and green beans - my husband chose steak pie served with mushy peas and a side order of chips. We both couldn't believe the quality of the food and can't believe we've never eaten here before!!! Very reasonably priced too with an option of 1, 2 or 3 course set price meal or alternatively a bar menu was also offered. Definitely worth a visit, we would recommend this hotel without reservation and we like quality places! The staff are all courteous, very friendly, well presented and efficient in their roles. Well done and keep up the good work - it really was a pleasure to dine here!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
My team and I are so delighted with all your comments, we are extremley pleased that as someone who lives locally that you will now become a regular visitor to the hotel. We look forward very much to you returning to see us soon.
south shields
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Had lunch at The Kings Head.
We were served by two young staff Eugiene and Alex (noticed name badges) both staff deserve a mention as the were both very pleasant and very attentive, well done.
The food we had was very good and nicely presented we did not have to wait to long to be served. Noticed all other staff were pleasant although we were not served by them.
Would pay another visit if in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I was delighted to read all of your comments, I have passed these on to the team. Especially to the two members of staff that you have mentioned by name. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your recent dining experience here with us and look forward to you returning to see again very soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

About 4 years ago I had a memorable lunchtime family reunion at the KINGS HEAD Hotel with excellent food and service. Yesterday (24 July 2013) I was visiting Richmond with a group of friends who suggested it would be a good idea to have a 'decent lunch' - not just a 'snack'. I had no hesitation in recommending the KINGS HEAD. We started off outside on the balcony but as there seemed to be little in way of service - decided it would be more pleasant and possibly quicker to dine inside. We found a table and whilst studying the somewhat limited lunch menu, (TURNER & LISZT bearing little resemblance to that advertised on your website.) we spotted the 'board' advertising a "Enjoy a jug of Pimms," Thinking that would be perfect for the occasion ordered one only to be promptly told this would be impossible because - WAIT FOR IT - on a hot JULY DAY in a market town - there was not enough fruit available to make up a jug of Pimms!!!! UNBELIEVABLE - a hotel of your size could not rustle up cucumber, lemon, mint and strawberries or apples. How would you cope if other customers required salad or even a gin & tonic?!! On suggesting to the waitress that perhaps it would be simple enough for someone to be dispatched to purchase said ingredients we were very abruptly and promptly told that "we are too busy" - on politely pursuing the subject further were likewise told she couldn't do anything about it because "I only work here!!!!" Hindsight is a wonderful thing - despite the lack of staff around we should have pursued the matter there and then but were anxious to leave having already waited more than an hour for the arrival of our food. The waitresses on duty were pleasant and polite although obviously very busy, rushed off their feet and possibly not coping - it seemed obvious that they not received much by way of good customer service or any other training. Perhaps management could consider helping with local unemployment and employ more staff. Two of our party ordered fish & chips - probably the safest in the circumstances - another had chicken with tarragon sauce - sounded good but when it arrived looked most unappealing with far too little chicken and far too much almost inedible pasta most of which my friend left. I ordered the ratatouille with goats cheese which likewise sounded delicious but was a great disappointment -obviously microwaved, put on a hotplate to keep warm whilst other dishes were prepared - resulting in it being very much overdone hard and chewy on the top and no sign of advertised goats cheese sauce creamy or otherwise! Apart from the problem with the till when we came to pay when one of our party had their perfectly valid card rejected (again lack or total absence of training) the final indignity was the temerity of the notice on your reception desk (presumably your "mission statement") where you promise to go out of your way (or the extra mile!!) for customer satisfaction - unless of course the customer would like a PIMMS with cucumber, strawberries a slice of lemon etc.!!!). I do not usually "rant" like this but yesterday's experience was unbelievable in this day and age of supposedly "good customer service" and business struggling to succeed!! I speak from a position of one who has trained, assessed and managed many trainees in customer service both in the workplace and in college.

Room Tip: Not applicable - just the dining room!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Val C
My team and I were very disappointed by your recent experience here at the hotel. I have gone through in detail all of your comments and would like to reassure you that we take on board any and all comments made. I will use these to help focus on training and helping my team with customer focus. I can only apologise for the experience that you had. We really do hope that if you do return to Richmond that you would call in and visit us again.
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had booked a single but was upgraded to a beautiful double at no extra cost. I needed help with bus timetables and the staff were only too happy to help and run off copies for me.
My stay was completed with a beautiful full English breakfast. in the morning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
GM-KingsH, General Manager at The King's Head Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
I am so pleased that we were able to upgrade you on your recent stay. This is something we really do try to do if at all possible. I have passed on all your kind comments to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

The Kings Head is right on the Market Place, in the town centre, so very central. We had a slight glitch with our booking as we had booked a twin room and initially we were shown to a double. We booked through a third party, so not sure what happened. However, we were changed easily enough to a lovely twin room, very roomy, very quiet, and while they made up our room we were offered a complimentary drink in the bar, which was good!

No blind or window covering over one window which meant we had light pretty early in the morning, but as both of us were tired, we didn't wake too early anyway. Other posts mention the water pressure in the shower, but coming from a country where water is precious, it really wasn't a problem for us, able to shower, wash hair etc.

Staff were really friendly, most helpful and nothing seemed too much trouble. Breakfasts were good, great variety, coffee just OK, but tea good - unless you are coffee dependent, order tea! Had dinner in the restaurant one night, lovely food. Ordered dinner from the bar the next night, also good value.

Overall, great hotel and the highlight was the friendliness of the staff. Central position with parking was also a bonus.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for all your kind comments, I have passed these on to the whole team. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay whilst visiting Richmond. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have been returning to The Kings Head for the last 40 years. As my family had never been to stay before I decided to celebrate my birthday in style at my favourite hotel with an evening meal and overnight stay for all 6 of us. They did not disappoint. On arrival we were supplied with complimentary drinks out on the terrace. The jug of pimms was much appreciated after our long, hot journey. So thank you Michaela and all the staff for attending to our every need and even decorating the table for my celebratory meal. We all had a wonderful stay and the children especially enjoyed exploring the castle and surrounding areas.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
From the Whole Team here at the Hotel, it was our Pleasure! x We were so thrilled that you decided to stay with us for such a special occasion. I have been so fortunate to have looked after you for many year's on your visits to Richmond and the Hotel. Thank you again for your kind comments I have passed these on to my team. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
The Frenchgate Restaurant & Hotel
#2 of 51 in Richmond
The Castle Tavern
The Castle Tavern
#18 of 51 in Richmond

Been to The King's Head Hotel? Share your experiences!