“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Millgate House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Richmond
Millgate House
Ranked #1 of 49 Richmond B&B and Inns
Harrogate
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2009

My partner and I and laterly my husband have stayed here twice. It is totally gorgoeus, we loved the personal touch. I would hightly recommend,

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2009

Our daughter chose this venue for her wedding for 30 people and she could not have chosen better. The house is beautiful, elegant and stylish, packed with wonderful furniture and antiques. The bedrooms are very individual with some lovely bathrooms and not only are tea and freshly ground coffee provided but also small snifters of malt whisky. Where else would you find that? Our hosts, Austin and Tim, could not have given us better service and went out of their way to make sure everything ran smoothly and make it a weekend our daughter will never forget. The wedding meal they provided was superb, definitely the best lamb we have ever tasted and the breakfast could not have been bettered by a 5 star hotel. All in all we had a wonderful weekend due in no small part to the wonderful house and the warm welcome we received. The wedding was everything we had hoped for and more. This really is a hidden gem.
Ian & Joan, Cheshire

• Stayed November 2009
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2009

We stayed in Millgate House for two nights with a number of family and friends occupying the bedrooms and the coach house. Oz and Tim are outstanding hosts and will happily satisfy any request from freshly ground coffee for your room to a query about any item of their outstanding collection of objects of beauty around their wonderful home. You are a guest of two people anxious only to please and share with you their love of the good things in life from music and books to paintings and plants.

As a larger group , we took the opportunity to arrange a dinner in the glorious dining room. This was a privilege, one of the most memorable meals of my life. All the food was locally sourced and of a very high standard, served in outstanding surroundings by courteous,smiling staff and owners. How they manage it with the facilities at their disposal is a testament to their very high standards of care, management and professionalism.

The bedrooms are eclectic, individual and extremely comfortable, the reception rooms are wonderful, the garden a magical place and the owners seem like old friends.

A word of warning though, don't be too cynical about all the previous reviews; no one is
exaggerating !

To paraphrase George Orwell from his description of the perfect pub, there may be no such place as The Moon under the Water but there is a place called Millgate House and it will live forever in my soul.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Hull UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2009

This might just be the finest guest-house I have ever stayed in. During my stay here, in November 2009, I was impressed with everything that Millgate House had to offer.
The house interior is nothing short of beautiful with its fine attention to detail; polished silver in abundance, stunning pictures, elegant furniture.............. the views from the back-facing rooms are stunning with the spectacular River Swale visible, and hills in the foreground. The breakfast was excellent and far superior to what you normally get in an average guest-house. The garden reminds me of something you see next to an Italian Villa with its lovely sloping paths and huge variety of all things botanical !
Tim and Austin are both impeccable hosts and have time for all their guests. Nothing is too much trouble for them. In short, Millgate House is sublime.

• Stayed November 2009
1 Thank Umbria99
Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2009

Or was it October 1809... that's what it felt like! So: ' To Richmond, North Yorkshire, to attend this charming town's book festival and to promote my own modest tome about 'The Archers'. Alighting from our carriage in the market square, we walked a few paces to Millgate House, our residence - I may say 'home', - for our two-night sojourn. The proprietors, Messrs Lynch and Culkin, informally known as Oz and Tim, were immediately on hand to assist with my reticule and to show us to our delightful chamber, complete with its own wigging room, which housed a clever device for brewing one's own tea and coffee. The room was furnished with every comfort and after a good night's sleep we descended to the sunlit dining room to the strains of Mr Haydn to partake of an exceptional repast of fruit and cereals with more substantial fare should one desire. The appreciative sounds of other diners testified to its deliciousness. The weather permitted us a stroll in the delightful garden, a wonderful example of the coming 'romantic' style, its roses and clematis still flowering despite the season. What, I wonder, will become of this place 200 years hence - the year 2009? Doubtless the tradition of hospitality and the pursuit of excellence in every detail will remain.'

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank silentcharacter75
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2009

The best bed and breakfast we have ever stayed in. Sumptious, beautiful house, fantastic breakfast and the finest garden in Yorkshire.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Quincy MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

Austin and Tim were helpful and accomodating even before I arrived, with quick travel tips based on my interests.
As an RHS member, what could be better than staying in a home that is part of a recommended garden? I needed more time than I had to completely explore the garden.The booklet with plant list was excellent and a great source.
As someone interested in things Georgian, I appreciated the home, antiques and books, coming away with a number of decorating ideas. I was able to buy a couple of prints and will frame and display a la Millgate.
Breakfast was incomparable with a buffet of bowl after bowl of delicious fruit and a large variety of intriguing cereals. Hot breakfasts too were available. One morning there were a number of guests, all talking, who suddenly stopped when classical music started.Peace descended on the room and we were all able to enjoy breakfast, the setting and the views of the garden.
What I loved most:
The gothic wrought iron railing on the balcony that repeated in the garden.
The whippets and their naps.
The small decanter of whisky in my room. The view of the garden and hills from my room.The sound of the River Swale rushing by at night.
The velvet Queen Anne wing chair where Austin does his emails.
The window on the landing with its' collection of treasures.
Tim's advice on the route I should take through the Dales on my return to Manchester. The drive was incredibly beautiful and I got many of my best shots. The garden behind The King's Arms was splendid.
The recommendation of the Frenchgate Hotel for dinner - fantastic-see my Trip Advisor comments.
And of course Austin and Tim, who even though they see thousands of people pass through, have a knack of making you feel as if you are a family friend.
I would visit again and I would highly recommend Millgate to discerning travelers who can appreciate what Austin and Tim have accomplished.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo